Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

No Scrolling Display on the front off the 360 box if that's what your referring too.
    Yes I think they show year of release.

Big big difference with 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rev1890 wrote: »
    Does the 360 Box show the full title of programmes and films?
    Horizon box truncates longer programme titles which is very annoying and quite frankly ridiculous.
    In addition do they show the year of release of films on Sky Cinema on 360 box?
    Horizon unbelieveably doesn't and only shows bare minimum cast list.

TV360 sometimes show the release date of a movie but usually embedded within other data like the time of broadcast and duration so you need to go looking - it's not up there beside the title. But still better than Horizon, which pretty much never showed the year of release.
    rev1890 wrote: »
    In addition do they show the year of release of films on Sky Cinema on 360 box?

Why would Virgin Media be bothered to tell you when a movie was first shown on Sky Cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Just spotted that the RTÉ News channel is now recordable on the Virgin 360 box. It hadn’t been recordable up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

AJB39 wrote: »
    Just spotted that the RTÉ News channel is now recordable on the Virgin 360 box. It hadn’t been recordable up until now.

Why would you want to record that channel? It's the same news over and over all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why would you want to record that channel? It's the same news over and over all day...

I’m just putting the information out there, people can make of it what they wish. Personally I will find it useful to record live Irish events and live press conferences such as the COVID 19 briefings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

CoBo55 wrote: »

They show Irish Sign Language versions of broadcasts, I am sure there are many who would like to be able to rewatch events with ISL.

With this change - I wonder if RTÉ News is still an IPTV Channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Polar101

This upgrade has been a complete shambles so far.

- I'm still missing several channels, even though I've been through to support 2 times, and sales once (they thought I wanted to buy more channels). Last time they said they'd send an engineer as they couldn't fix the issue remotely, but of course the engineer never showed up.

- My bundle is 88 euro a month, the previous Horizon Bundle I had was €87.50. So my monthly bill was now.. €108.70. That's after contacting billing, and telling them the amount was wrong. Before I contacted them it was €98, so I guess they added another €10 for the inconvenience of having to chat with me.

I've spent about 4 hours with support so far, and things have only gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Polar101 wrote: »
    This upgrade has been a complete shambles so far.

- I'm still missing several channels, even though I've been through to support 2 times, and sales once (they thought I wanted to buy more channels). Last time they said they'd send an engineer as they couldn't fix the issue remotely, but of course the engineer never showed up.

- My bundle is 88 euro a month, the previous Horizon Bundle I had was €87.50. So my monthly bill was now.. €108.70. That's after contacting billing, and telling them the amount was wrong. Before I contacted them it was €98, so I guess they added another €10 for the inconvenience of having to chat with me.

I've spent about 4 hours with support so far, and things have only gotten worse.

Virgin Media billing is woeful when going from one package to another. They always overcharge, and their explanations for the extra charges are rubbish.
    I am sure many people have had the same experience.

RTE News on 200 changed to a linear channel from Iptv in the last week aprox. and Recording then became available. Sensible and long overdue move.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Delta2113 wrote: »
    RTE News on 200 changed to a linear channel from Iptv in the last week aprox. and Recording then became available. Sensible and long overdue move.
    Good. I'm not sure it was ever an IPTV channel though, only configured as one. Before I made the change, I disconnected my 360 box from the internet, and I was still able to receive it.

• Advertisement

Don't understand your comment Jonathan. RTE News was over IPTV and is now linear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Don't understand your comment Jonathan. RTE News was over IPTV and is now linear.
    When RTE News Now was an "IPTV" channel, I disconnected the 360 box from my LAN, and I was still able to view the channel. Would this not indicate that it was actually a linear channel? I wasn't able to record though, so it might have been tagged incorrectly as a IPTV channel.

I could not view channel 200 without access to wi-fi before they put it to linear as all the other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Polar101 wrote: »

This is what I'm worried about. My current horizon bundle is 87.50 and I just ordered the upgrade bundle for €88. I'm guessing I'm going to be messed around with the billing as well. Let me know how it goes for you

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

What do you do with the old Horizon Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Support told me to bin it, but I didn't and low and behold a couple of weeks later, equipment collections called me to setup a date to collect it. So a guy called to gaff and I gave him back the two boxes. Didn't want remotes or cables, just the boxes.
    Lucky as I'm sure they would try and charge me then.

FaganJr wrote: »
    Support told me to bin it, but I didn't and low and behold a couple of weeks later, equipment collections called me to setup a date to collect it. So a guy called to gaff and I gave him back the two boxes. Didn't want remotes or cables, just the boxes.
    Good to know. Nothing said to me about it. I was wondering could I put it to use elsewhere in the house?

Mine came with instructions in the box to bring the old horizon equipment to parcel motel and just stick it in there. The instructions are a sort of a sicker that was tucked away in the manual so could easily be missed.

Anyway very impressed with new box so far which wasn't hard coming from the horizon sh*t show.

Mine came with instructions in the box to bring the old horizon equipment to parcel motel and just stick it in there. The instructions are a sort of a sicker that was tucked away in the manual so could easily be missed.

Anyway very impressed with new box so far which wasn't hard coming from the horizon sh*t show.
    I see the sticker now. I hadn’t read it and assumed it was to send back the new box if there was a fault of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I see virgin now offering v6 box to new customers for 69 euro a month with 250mb broadband. Anyone know what their current offer is for existing customers?

• Advertisement

Good to know. Nothing said to me about it. I was wondering could I put it to use elsewhere in the house?

- You can't have a Virgin Tv 360 Box and a Horizon Box.

Can I ask you to clarify - was it just a 'couple of weeks' or longer? My new kit came with a Parcel Motel sticker but I don't have the right size box for the Horizon and multiroom boxes and it would suit me just fine if someone called to collect them.

But all of the TV bundles on the VM website now involve the TV360 box so it's possible that since the official launch of the new box a few weeks ago, they're no longer bothered about getting old Horizon boxes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

coylemj wrote:
    Can I ask you to clarify - was it just a 'couple of weeks' or longer? My new kit came with a Parcel Motel sticker but I don't have the right size box for the Horizon and multiroom boxes and it would suit me just fine if someone called to collect them.

Seemed like a couple of weeks, but maybe longer. Damn lockdown, every week blurs at this stage.
    I got sticker also
    Didn't have a return box
    Chatted to online support who said bin it
    So got the call eventually

But level 5 now may change that??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I see virgin now offering v6 box to new customers for 69 euro a month with 250mb broadband. Anyone know what their current offer is for existing customers?

They told me 92 per month but that they would waive the €50 installation fee. I just cancelled and will get the wife to sign up as a new customer. They really don't reward loyalty at all.

Seemed like a couple of weeks, but maybe longer. Damn lockdown, every week blurs at this stage.
    I got sticker also
    Didn't have a return box
    Chatted to online support who said bin it
    So got the call eventually

But level 5 now may change that??

A Nightline and An Post van did deliveries in my estate today so I don't think the couriers are closed down. Currently waiting for a response from VM on WhatsApp, will post here what they tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Ordered yesterday. Arrived today. Very fast service. None of the channels work and they did not include a splitter. Rang them. They have to provision channels which takes 24 hours. (Odd) and they will post out splitter. On demand works and pretty impressed so far with the box.

I contacted VM today via WhatsAppp, this is how it went....

Me (10:45) Hello
    VM (10:45) <Generic welcome message>
    VM (10:45) <Options menu>
    Me (10:45) '2' (for Customer Care)

80 minutes wait

VM (12:05) Hi there, this is xxx xxx, how can I help?
    Me (12:08) Hi there, my name is xxx xx, account number nnnnnn, address xxx and I am the account holder.
    Me (12:08) I got the new TV360 box plus one multiroom a few weeks ago and am wondering if you will arrange collection of the old kit

23 minutes wait

VM (12:31) Thanks for providing your details and thanks for waiting, do you still have the Horizon TV box?
    Me (12:31) Yes, and a multiroom box, one of each.

21 minutes wait

VM (12:52) We'd be happy to arrange the pickup of the equipment. Please contact our collector directly on 01 440 5310 or by e-mail to vmequipmentcollections@actavo.com to arrange a time that suits you

All of which took two hours and seven minutes!

I rang that number, spoke to a very nice guy but English is not his first language so I had to ask him to repeat several times. He sent me an e-mail with a form to fill in with the 'CA ID' (the serial number under the first barcode) of the boxes, they will contact me to arrange pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Had a great experience ringing them on Wednesday.

Selected accounts from the Phone menu hierarchy. First asked John to add me as a nominated contact/account holder which meant I no longer have to hand the phone back and forth to the named account holder to confirm changes to services etc any time we contact them.

Then asked John to upgrade us from 250/50mbit package to 500/50mbit package. He explained that as 360 trialists we had an €11 deal on the mini-boxes but any change to our services would knock us off that deal. We told him we were OK with that. Without prompting he said he would give us Sky SPorts HD pack (which we are already subscribed to) half price for 12 months to offset the price increases to the miniboxes.

Based on what our 360 trial installer and Whatsapp support at that time told us, we had already maxed out our allotment of Main and Mini 360 boxes. ie. 1+3. We really wanted another mini box to bring us to 1+4 and I had all my arguments prepared and expected to have to escalate to Loyalty Dept to demand a 4th mini box despite Virgin policy. ie. If the 1+3 was a technical limitation due to WIFI bandwidth or concurrent usage of 1+3 boxes, then it didn't necessarily apply to us as all our mini boxes where ethernet wired to our Gigabit home network rather than WIFI and only 2 out of 3 of the boxes would ever be in use at the same time as if the bedroom box was being used it meant one or the other of the downstairs boxes would not be used at the same time as certain family members couldn't be in two rooms at once. Got my spiel ready in my head for John, asked him about adding a 4th mini-box and he said 'No Problem'. I said I thought there was a limit of Mini boxes based on what the installer had told us and we had already hit it. John said that was just during the trial and early launch period when their stocks of mini boxes were lower. He said the limit was 4 or 5 mini boxes now. ie. 1+3 during the trial was a 360 box supply limitation not a technical/bandwidth imposed limitation.

(This is a partial PRO compared to SKY where there is a hard 1+3 Sky Q/Q Mini limitation and only 3 out of 4 in use at one time limitation IIRC due to WIFI bandwidth as there is no Co-ax feed to the Sky Q mini's back to the Dish. I say partial PRO for Virgin because while the required Co-ax feed removes bandwidth and mini box number limitation it does require......a co-ax feed to every 360 Mini location. This was not a problem for us as during renovation 10 years ago we ran 2x Hi-Spec Coax feeds (and 2x Cat5e Network cable) to every room in the house from a side attic storage area in attic conversion bedroom right where the UPC/Virgin 'Tap' is under the eaves outside. For others it might be a problem if it meant the 360 installers had to run new Co-ax feeds from the 'Tap' down outside walls to every room and drill through exterior walls and run Co-ax along skirting etc)

So that call on Wednesday afternoon had about 2 minutes on hold, lasted about 15 minutes, got everything I wanted sorted including unprompted discount on part of service to offset price increase on other parts of service. 500/50mbit BB Speed upgrade went live on Thursday morning and our 4th Mini-box was delivered by Nightline on Friday Morning.

Finally, me now being nominated on account, means that in 12 months I can ring up Loyalty myself and push for new discount/deals when the current new deal expires. Named account holder who up till now had to be involved in any technical or account or loyalty related phone calls who has GAD got stress and anxiety from the experience so we didn't do it often. Now that I can do it on their behalf without needing to involve them in the phone calls means I'll be onto Loyalty myself every 12 months to push for new deals every year. Fancy my chances of getting something every year tbh as we are €2000+ a year Virgin customers. ;);)

All I want in future from Virgin is a Disney+ app on the 360 boxes, for them to get BT/Premier Sports back and to get more 4K channels/content on the service. That said, I am happy enough with the service now. Their BB has always been rock-solid for over 10 years with literally about 10 hours total downtime in that 10 year period. Now with the 360 boxes I am happy with the TV service too and D+, BT/Premier Sports and more 4K Content would be the icing on the cake.

(Have D+ on 2x LG TV's but not on other TV's in house that I am in no hurry to upgrade. Having D+ on 360 mini's would mean every TV/Display would have access to it even the 1080p Home-Cinema Projector.)

[EDIT] I had asked John what to do with my old Horizon and HD DVR boxes that the Trial Installer had forgotten to take away with him like he was supposed to. John said he wasn't sure how the current COVID19 Lockdown was going to affect Actavo Equipment Collections and that I should just hold onto them until Virgin contacted me sometime in the future about them. (Post COVID??). However I got a Parcel Motel Equipment Return Sticker in the new 360 Mini Box which doesn't involve Avtavo Couriers having to call to the house so I reckon I'll just box them up and use that sticker to return them soon myself. Coincidentally I got an email from Parcel Motel on Tuesday telling me they had opened a new Parcel Motel Locker in my Town much closer and more convenient for me. :D

This post was brought to you by a happy Virgin customer and not a Virgin Shill. There actually are some of us unicorns out there believe it or not! LOL. :D

Does anyone know is it possible to change the start recording before and stop after time for planned recordings? Do I need to just delete it and set it up again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Polar101

This is what I'm worried about. My current horizon bundle is 87.50 and I just ordered the upgrade bundle for €88. I'm guessing I'm going to be messed around with the billing as well. Let me know how it goes for you

Yeah, so my bill was €108.67, and when I complained that it sounds a bit high, I got credited something but it still came to €102.83. I guess I'll wait until the 14th to see if the bill is €88.

The first bill breakdown said €98 for the bundle (so they forgot the €10 discount) and €10.67 for the previous bundle.

Advertisement