Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal Discussion Moderation Issue

• 14-10-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭

I wish to raise a moderation Issue from a Legal discussion thread about 'leaving without paying the bill' and a mod direction about not to post in the thread again as I had provided dangerous advice. Hulaballoo being the moderator.

I pm'd them asking what it was and received a reply that said that there were so many issues with my advice that they didn't know where to begin. The main one being that I had said not to seek solicitor advice. This is blatantly not true. I also note that other posters were advising on lying to the Garda Siochana but nothing was said to them.

Also, the moderator in question made numerous comments via pm about me not being able to comprehend legal issues and was flippant and facetious. I tried to raise it with a category mod but as of yet had no reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to look at this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In terms of the threadban, the thread was closed a week before you started this thread. It has no consequences beyond the thread and I do not think there is anything further to discuss on that particular point

Turning to the "advice" point, the Charter is very clear - it does not allow legal advice to be given or sought. It is clear that a number of posters were offering comments that "may" be considered legal advice and in this case the mod determined your post "dangerous" advice, but did not refer to it as "legal" advice

I am not qualified to comment on exactly what constitutes "legal advice", let alone what may then be "dangerous" advice, legal or otherwise

The one Administrator who is very well versed in legal matters is the one who issued the threadban. In the circumstances he's the only one who can comment further on this and indeed what may have been discussed visa PM

Beasty wrote: »
    In terms of the threadban, the thread was closed a week before you started this thread. It has no consequences beyond the thread and I do not think there is anything further to discuss on that particular point

Turning to the "advice" point, the Charter is very clear - it does not allow legal advice to be given or sought. It is clear that a number of posters were offering comments that "may" be considered legal advice and in this case the mod determined your post "dangerous" advice, but did not refer to it as "legal" advice

I am not qualified to comment on exactly what constitutes "legal advice", let alone what may then be "dangerous" advice, legal or otherwise

The one Administrator who is very well versed in legal matters is the one who issued the threadban. In the circumstances he's the only one who can comment further on this and indeed what may have been discussed visa PM

But that is not the issue. There was absolutely no explanation of how it was considered dangerous. When asked via pm, it was stated that I had said not to go to a solicitor when I didn’t. Also, another poster had advocated lying to the police but it didn’t warrant anything. When I asked for clarification, all he said that there was so many legal inaccuracies and of such poor quality that it warranted a thread ban. It is noticeable that the moderator didn’t clarify on the thread the inaccuracies and why it was dangerous. It appears that it was based on the incorrect assertion of me saying not to seek a solicitor.

With regards to me starting this thread a week after The thread was closed, I had pmd the moderator but was pointless as they couldn’t explain the threadban. I then pmd the category mod to see if they could clarify but no response.

I have no issue if someone disagrees with me or clarifies anything I got wrong but the moderator just made an announcement. The use of the word ‘dangerous’ is what I have issue with as it appears that I was acting in a nefarious manner. To use such a strong word, it should be fairly straight forward to clarify it. If nothing more than so I won’t give such ‘dangerous’ advice to anyone else.

Just wondering if you have had any chance to look at this?

Good evening. I was just wondering if you had a chance to look at the post explaining why the posts were considered dangerous advice. If it is decided that it is not necessary to be transparent on this definition. Im sorry for disturbing you and hope all is well and you had an enjoyable Bank Holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement