Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/06/10/new-supermacs-plaza-outside-portlaoise-set-to-open-at-end-of-july/

Supermacs MSA at Junction 17 on M7 opening in time for August bank holiday weekend. This means two MSAs will be available on the same junction as Applegreen Midway also are off that junction. Supermacs really monopolizing the food offering along the M7 with Monegall, Monasterevin and now Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With Applegreen in Birdhill and Portlaoise as well.
    I think the M7 has reached saturation at this point.
    Time for the MSA builders online and offline to start building along the M3 and the M17/18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What is the status of all of the offline (and online, maybe) service stations at the moment? Are they open at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/06/10/new-supermacs-plaza-outside-portlaoise-set-to-open-at-end-of-july/

Supermacs MSA at Junction 17 on M7 opening in time for August bank holiday weekend. This means two MSAs will be available on the same junction as Applegreen Midway also are off that junction. Supermacs really monopolizing the food offering along the M7 with Monegall, Monasterevin and now Portlaoise.

Surely this will hit J14 in monasterevin, they have a supermacs but it a franchise not owed by McDonough. Having a bigger plaza just 15 minutes away means more than likely people will stop at Portlaoise now instead of J14 .
    I always taught junction 14 was a little close to Dublin to be of real benefit even though it does be packed and they have recently doubled its size with a complete new fit out..

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

harr wrote: »
    Surely this will hit J14 in monasterevin, they have a supermacs but it a franchise not owed by McDonough. Having a bigger plaza just 15 minutes away means more than likely people will stop at Portlaoise now instead of J14 .
    I always taught junction 14 was a little close to Dublin to be of real benefit even though it does be packed and they have recently doubled its size with a complete new fit out..

True, J14 services were way too small. Is the new extension open yet? Even after the extension it'll still be a modest size.

But it's always busy.

• Advertisement

NedNew2 wrote: »
    True, J14 services were way too small. Is the new extension open yet? Even after the extension it'll still be a modest size.

But it's always busy.

Part of the upgrade is open and the larger carpark is open but I still don’t think it’s as big as the new plaza. Haven’t been in j14 since lockdown started so unsure what stage is finished. With so many food options now at Portlaoise I really can’t see why monasterevin would be people’s first choice.
    Applegreen recently refused planning in monasterevin as well which definitely would have saturated the M7 with services

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Confirmation the Portlaoise Plaza at M7 Junction 17 is now open for business. As per their facebook page they have posted some pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ThePortlaoisePlaza/photos/?tab=album&album_id=114343753696455&ref=page_internal

I'd love to know who's Pat Mcdonaghs contractor. They work at some pace.
    Usually MSAs fuel prices are slightly higher than places away from the motorway but going into very direct competition with Applegreen and their Midway plaza could set up some interesting competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

flazio wrote: »
    I'd love to know who's Pat Mcdonaghs contractor. They work at some pace.
    Usually MSAs fuel prices are slightly higher than places away from the motorway but going into very direct competition with Applegreen and their Midway plaza could set up some interesting competition.

I think it was Killeen - they do quite a few major stations.

Greenfield site, overlooking a motorway, the perfect building site for any contractor

Edit, yep, it was Killeen https://www.killeencivilengineering.ie/projects/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Darc19 wrote: »
    I think it was Killeen - they do quite a few major stations.

Greenfield site, overlooking a motorway, the perfect building site for any contractor

Was Killeen’s- handy job across road for them! Sign up outside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thinking of services- is there anything else planned on the M9- northern half is more than covered from Paulstown on but something at Kilkenny around the N10 or between Waterford and Kilkenny is lacking and think could do well as there’s a dearth of even offline stations too bar one in Knocktopher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

road_high wrote: »
    Thinking of services- is there anything else planned on the M9- northern half is more than covered from Paulstown on but something at Kilkenny around the N10 or between Waterford and Kilkenny is lacking and think could do well as there’s a dearth of even offline stations too bar one in Knocktopher?

Mullinavat services. Meant to be Applegreen

Don't think work has started yet

Darc19 wrote: »
    Mullinavat services. Meant to be Applegreen

Don't think work has started yet

It is two years now since we last heard any update as regards Mullinavat
    M9 J11 motorway services. Somebody should email TD John McGuinness to find out if he heard any news.

https://beat102103.com/news/new-m9-service-station-development-set-for-county-kilkenny/

Was J14 earlier today and was very impressed huge range of grub now and totally revamped it looks like they doubled the space.
    The Portlaoise plaza must be in direct competition with J14 now , about 10-15 minute drive between both .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Do not defame public figures who are not on this forum, and so cannot defend them selves.

READ THE CHARTER. Any more and cards will be issued.

Posts deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I find Circle K's do the best food selections.

I do like the Cashel circle K on the M8 and the Tullow circle K on the m9.

My only problem with circle K is they're way too small on the inside.
    Even pre-covid they would be packed to the hilt.

Paulstown applegreen is a fine size but the food selection is pretty mediocre.

The Mullinavat one should do quite well when if it ever opens as there's nothing between Paulstown and Waterford. Aside from the centra in Knocktopher which is a miserable place all together.

Another route that badly needs somewhere good to stop is the Limerick to Waterford road.
    The only places you have are the dingy applegreen in clonmel, the applegreen in carrick, and that dump of a circle K in tipp town.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cashel MSA on the M8 must be chocker with the local lockdowns affecting all the MSAs north of there.

Very inconvenient location for the Enfield MSAs on the M4 also. The site boundary for the eastbound services is the Kildare/Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

marno21 wrote: »
    Cashel MSA on the M8 must be chocker with the local lockdowns affecting all the MSAs north of there.

Very inconvenient location for the Enfield MSAs on the M4 also. The site boundary for the eastbound services is the Kildare/Meath border.

I don't think the MSA's are affected in the local lockdown. I was in the one just south of the M8/9 split on the M9 at Kilcullen on Saturday morning and there was no sign of any further restrictions. Very quiet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

IMO they should be restricted. A lot of people from different counties mixed together with ample high touch surfaces and the possibility for 15+ minutes in close proximity.

Its a tough one though as the M8 is still not well served with services (Official ones anyway, the unofficial ones are still lacking).

cargo wrote: »
    I don't think the MSA's are affected in the local lockdown. I was in the one just south of the M8/9 split on the M9 at Kilcullen on Saturday morning and there was no sign of any further restrictions. Very quiet though.

They should be. Not that anyone would take any notice anyway. Regulations are for everyone else.

• Advertisement

Guards were at top of slip road at junction 14 yesterday and today checking cars and even found 7 puppies from a puppy farm in a Range Rover because it pulled into the services , so the guards are around. Also stopping cars from entering kildare village the last couple of days .
    Kildare village shopping centre was virtually empty all day and J14 was very very quiet compared to a regular Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

IMO they should be restricted. A lot of people from different counties mixed together with ample high touch surfaces and the possibility for 15+ minutes in close proximity.

Its a tough one though as the M8 is still not well served with services (Official ones anyway, the unofficial ones are still lacking).

Well I don't think the food court was open just serving fuel so in and out. Not sure about toilets etc..

Obama Plaza was absolutely rammed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Just leaving a new place call Park Ri just off the N52 @ kells beside aldi. Good selection there coffee, supermacs, delis , carvery, noodles etc . Be handy for anyone doing the N52 run as there is not many good spots for food along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

roadmaster wrote: »
    Just leaving a new place call Park Ri just off the N52 @ kells beside aldi. Good selection there coffee, supermacs, delis , carvery, noodles etc . Be handy for anyone doing the N52 run as there is not many good spots for food along the way

Good to know, thanks.

McDonagh is back again, just seen recent article. Supermacs have just lodged a 4th Application attempt for a Small Plaza Off M18 Junction 12 Ennis MSA Plaza.

Badly needed and suppose it will be a few months again before a decision on it. Article link from the clare champion.

https://clarechampion.ie/supermacs-serve-up-fourth-application-for-obama-style-plaza-in-clare/

He should go for Gort instead. Plenty of space off that exit and he practically has Galway Co. Co. in his back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Traffic count sh1t there by comparison plus not far from galway plaza so would be competing with himself a bit

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    McDonagh is back again, just seen recent article. Supermacs have just lodged a 4th Application attempt for a Small Plaza Off M18 Junction 12 Ennis MSA Plaza.

Badly needed and suppose it will be a few months again before a decision on it. Article link from the clare champion.

https://clarechampion.ie/supermacs-serve-up-fourth-application-for-obama-style-plaza-in-clare/

I look forward to seeing more of his illegal advertising scattered all over the local area if he gets to build this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/plans-announced-for-major-plaza-outside-limerick-city/

Another Supermacs plaza, this time on N69 near Shannon Tunnel entrance

Advertisement