Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

wildwillow wrote: »
    Not a problem with your camper van, use the left lane and I will happily overtake you when it's safe. The left lane should cause one to expect slower moving traffic and be prepared to match the speed or overtake.

I don't expect everyone to be driving to the limit, but it seems the slower drivers prefer the middle lane!

Exactly.

At the end of the day, the 2 most important points to remember about driving on multilane roads are these:

1. Use the lanes correctly.

2. It's a speed LIMIT. Not a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

How exactly do I do that, then, if I'm already flatout up a hill?

And believe me, if that old van of mine WAS able to keep to 90 kph up some of those hills, I would be very happy with that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

trellheim wrote: »
    After driving this road several times it is very good by and large. The major issue I have with it is the very bad sightlines and behaviour at Junction 10 Naas South on-ramp heading southbound

It was on a curve hidden by a slope beforehand, and its still on a curve hidden by a slope beforehand. If you are doing motorway speed in the inside lane as normal you are quickly presented with traffic that is slowly merging and usually you have nowhere to go.

Totally disagree. Living in Naas and drive to Kildare at least 2 days a week dropping our daughter working in KV. The wheels in my car are perfectly balanced and new tyres but I have often wondered was something wrong with the car. They have done a very poor job. The previous, old layer from past the ball in Naas to Newbridge was superior compared to what they have done now. Appalling as far as I am concerned. They have already had to fill a number of potholes which is shocking as it's likely the developer have not yet handed over the road to KCC

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

regedit wrote: »
    Totally disagree. Living in Naas and drive to Kildare at least 2 days a week dropping our daughter working in KV. The wheels in my car are perfectly balanced and new tyres but I have often wondered was something wrong with the car. They have done a very poor job. The previous, old layer from past the ball in Naas to Newbridge was superior compared to what they have done now. Appalling as far as I am concerned. They have already had to fill a number of potholes which is shocking as it's likely the developer have not yet handed over the road to KCC

I also live in Naas and I think it's not perfect but it's very good. Silent as a whisper too. The exit heading northbound at J10 is a danger though. Signage is terrible and the lane split confuses many folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

regedit wrote: »

Can you provide details of your civil engineering experience and also details of the "number of potholes" you claim had to be filled.

There was one single small top layer issue that was mentioned here and which was fixed within a couple of days, but can't remember any other issues and I'm driving the length of it both ways every day even during lockdown.

That issue could have been caused by a foreign object inadvertently being on the ground when the top layer was laid as it was laid at night and even with the aid of lights, something may have been missed.

But it was less than a metres on a circa 300,000 Sq m surface. But the online "experts" know better as always

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the motorway lane behaviour and driving speed discussion to the Motor threads where it is more appropriate.

Can we have more information on how far advanced the work on the road is progressing.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you provide details of your civil engineering experience and also details of the "number of potholes" you claim had to be filled.

There was one single small top layer issue that was mentioned here and which was fixed within a couple of days, but can't remember any other issues and I'm driving the length of it both ways every day even during lockdown.

That issue could have been caused by a foreign object inadvertently being on the ground when the top layer was laid as it was laid at night and even with the aid of lights, something may have been missed.

But it was less than a metres on a circa 300,000 Sq m surface. But the online "experts" know better as always

Rather than taking the complaint personally (which I don't understand unless you're involved in the project - and even then it should be recognised as valuable feedback), maybe consider the actual details?

Poor sightlines, signage, surfacing and that god-awful bend on the mainline at the M9 split outbound are long standing complaints with this work. So too is a lot of surface water and resulting spray in bad weather

The work has taken far longer than it needed, caused lot more disruption that necessary and is of generally mediocre standard unfortunately

And that's from someone whose driven it every day too until the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Traffic seems to be flowing on the Osberstown flyover of the bypass, based on Google maps. Can anyone confirm that the new (L2006) bridge is now open?

You don't need a PhD in civil engineering to be able to see and feel your car moving significantly more both vertically and horizontally when driving on the new surface between the M9 join and Naas Ball. I can even see it in how much my phone shakes in the window holder compared to driving on ANY other section of road, nevermind seeing the bonnet dipping and seeing headlights of cars behind me twinkling.

You also don't need a PhD in civil engineering to see many similar complaints in this thread stretching back a very significant period of time and covering almost all sections of the new surface (existing lanes AND new lanes)

You're also very quick to explain away how stuff could have happened, despite having professed no civil engineering experience in the past. One rule you, one rule for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Traffic seems to be flowing on the Osberstown flyover of the bypass, based on Google maps. Can anyone confirm that the new (L2006) bridge is now open?

Bit wet here at the moment, but I'll try and get out to have a look later today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yup it’s back open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You don't need a PhD in civil engineering to be able to see and feel your car moving significantly more both vertically and horizontally when driving on the new surface between the M9 join and Naas Ball. I can even see it in how much my phone shakes in the window holder compared to driving on ANY other section of road, nevermind seeing the bonnet dipping and seeing headlights of cars behind me twinkling.

You also don't need a PhD in civil engineering to see many similar complaints in this thread stretching back a very significant period of time and covering almost all sections of the new surface (existing lanes AND new lanes)

You're also very quick to explain away how stuff could have happened, despite having professed no civil engineering experience in the past. One rule you, one rule for anyone else.
    I drive it every day and I simply don't get the same affect as you or regedit get. Maybe it's the car I drive.

But others don't get it either.

And then you need to realise that lane one and two were simply resurfaced. The EXACT SAME road with a simple top dressing of a low road noise tarmac surface.

Almost the same job that is being done on the N7 at present.

Where you may be getting the "feeling" is that the new surface emits a lot less tyre noise than previous and therefore your senses have changed priorities and you may notice things you may not have noticed before because your ears are not the primary sense in use anymore. (this is an area I do have knowledge of especially in the area of olfactory)

Thanks for the pictures.. much appreciated! I think you are being optimistic on the timeframe? Especially looking at your last pic. I think the pace would have to pick up considerably to have it open by the end of November?

Thanks for the pictures.. much appreciated! I think you are being optimistic on the timeframe? Especially looking at your last pic. I think the pace would have to pick up considerably to have it open by the end of November?

It's more that, as far as I am aware, the latest timeline from the contractor was for end of October, which is quite unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Now that I'm starting to see the finished article, has no provision been made for any cycle lane/footpaths along the bypass or overbridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I drive it every day and I simply don't get the same affect as you or regedit get. Maybe it's the car I drive.

But others don't get it either.

And then you need to realise that lane one and two were simply resurfaced. The EXACT SAME road with a simple top dressing of a low road noise tarmac surface.

Almost the same job that is being done on the N7 at present.

Where you may be getting the "feeling" is that the new surface emits a lot less tyre noise than previous and therefore your senses have changed priorities and you may notice things you may not have noticed before because your ears are not the primary sense in use anymore. (this is an area I do have knowledge of especially in the area of olfactory)

Drove it today for the first time in a while and Lane 3 is terrible. Like the poster above, I thought something was wrong with my wheels - it wasn’t until I came back onto the old road surface that the car seemed to come back to normal. It was like I was driving on a pebbled surface. I drive a 5-series which is generally extremely smooth - this is the only place I’ve felt this “shaking” experience. Very unusual as aesthetically, the road looks perfect.

jrar wrote: »
    Now that I'm starting to see the finished article, has no provision been made for any cycle lane/footpaths along the bypass or overbridge ?

There is a cycle lane along the entire bypass, including a ramp down to the north side of the Grand canal.

Crazily it doesn't seem like anyone thought it would be a good idea to add a link to the Naas canal at Osberstown or down on the South side of the Grand Canal anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

There is a cycle lane along the entire bypass, including a ramp down to the north side of the Grand canal.

Crazily it doesn't seem like anyone thought it would be a good idea to add a link to the Naas canal at Osberstown or down on the South side of the Grand Canal anywhere.

I think there is a cycle route to the rail underbridge and supposed to be a Naas canal route to the Millennium Rd. Not sure about the motorway exit area having a cycle path..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

millb wrote: »
    I think there is a cycle route to the rail underbridge and supposed to be a Naas canal route to the Millennium Rd. Not sure about the motorway exit area having a cycle path..

That’s crazy if it doesn’t. Roads in urban areas shouldn’t be built without cycle tracks and they MUST be painted RED in colour. Otherwise they’re useless and blend in with the path.

• Advertisement

millb wrote: »

You are correct, I walked along it there at the weekend, there is absolutely nothing from shortly before the railway bridge to the ring road, its very poor design. The cycleway will divert off to the canal road, then you have to travel along about 150m of the fairly busy Osberstown road to reach the canal side.

The section beyond the Sallins roundabout is supposed to be single carriageway but the road is huge there, meanwhile the 'Shared Path' is 2m wide, just not acceptable these days.

Anyone else notice the large amount of surface water inbound just after J9A?
    Its there every time it rains.
    Really dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Really dangerous!

Both sides are extremely poor in this regard in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Really dangerous!

I saw it this morning NB

It is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Slightly O/T but how long are those roadworks on the Sallins to Clane road going to continue?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Slightly O/T but how long are those roadworks on the Sallins to Clane road going to continue?

I think it was supposed to take14 weeks starting 8 July so they should be finishing up soon.

Does anybody have any updates on the bypass? Is the most recent year end deadline still achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

I think it was supposed to take14 weeks starting 8 July so they should be finishing up soon.

Does anybody have any updates on the bypass? Is the most recent year end deadline still achievable?

It feels like it's taking longer than the channel tunnel at this stage...

Year end should definitely be achievable, the entire route barring about 500m between the canal bridge and the far side of the osberstown overbridge is only awaiting the top tarmac layer and any outstanding landscaping. That section definitely needs work, but its unfinished as it was their main site yard for the project, now that its the only remaining section to work on it should go fairly fast, I don't think there would have been any complicated aspects there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I drove over the new bridge on the Osberstown road last night. It was great to see that part finished. It was hard to see too much from the car, but there seems to be quite a bit to do on the by-pass yet - more than just top-dressing.

I'm not a construction expert so I can't say for sure, but I cannot see it being ready before the end of the year.

Separately, I hear that one of the roundabouts at the Junction 9a Kerry Foods exit will need to be redone as its too small or too tight for traffic to safely navigate it. How true that is, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Anatom wrote: »
    I drove over the new bridge on the Osberstown road last night. It was great to see that part finished. It was hard to see too much from the car, but there seems to be quite a bit to do on the by-pass yet - more than just top-dressing.

I'm not a construction expert so I can't say for sure, but I cannot see it being ready before the end of the year.

Separately, I hear that one of the roundabouts at the Junction 9a Kerry Foods exit will need to be redone as its too small or too tight for traffic to safely navigate it. How true that is, I'm not sure.

It wouldn't surprise me if what needs to be re-done are the entry/exit roads between the millennium road roundabout and the link road to the new junction 9a. They seem impossibly and unnecessarily tight. You would have thought that this would have been addressed over a year ago when they were originally constructed though! I think it was even mentioned on this thread at the time!

Advertisement