Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be an interesting final. People - the media and alot of the dubs - will talk up the dubs chances but I cannot really see them winning. Kerry will arrive in Croker playing a brand of football that dublin won't be able to counter. I reckon a 7 point win for Kerry.
    I hope the dubs don't freeze on the day and we see a good game. If the dubs play as well as they did in the qf - they would have a chance but I can see Kerry performing at full tilt from the beginning and they certainly have the better players and a manager who will have a plan A, B and C as distinct from Dublin who played in high ball to a man being marked by 3 or 4 men for nearly an hour today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Should be an interesting final. People - the media and alot of the dubs - will talk up the dubs chances but I cannot really see them winning. Kerry will arrive in Croker playing a brand of football that dublin won't be able to counter. I reckon a 7 point win for Kerry.
    I hope the dubs don't freeze on the day and we see a good game. If the dubs play as well as they did in the qf - they would have a chance but I can see Kerry performing at full tilt from the beginning and they certainly have the better players and a manager who will have a plan A, B and C as distinct from Dublin who played in high ball to a man being marked by 3 or 4 men for nearly an hour today.

So far its kerry who are getting talked up with dublin not given a chance,long may it continue.I to hope the dubs don't freeze on the day and hope that after lifting the "taboo" of actually winning the semi final will play to there full potential,I don't think comparing today's game is a good indicator of dublin's strengths,having said that they did well to keep at it with 14 men and win.if the dubs can play like they did against tyrone they have as much as a chance as kerry to take the sam maguire cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

realies wrote: »
    I to hope the dubs don't freeze on the day and hope that after lifting the "taboo" of actually winning the semi final will play to there full potential,I don't think comparing today's game is a good indicator of dublin's strengths,having said that they did well to keep at it with 14 men and win.if the dubs can play like they did against tyrone they have as much as a chance as kerry to take the sam maguire cup.

Dude I don't want burst your bubble, but if the dubs freeze or don't freeze Kerry should still beat them comfortably, I cant see any other outcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So far its kerry who are getting talked up with dublin not given a chance,long may it continue.I to hope the dubs don't freeze on the day and hope that after lifting the "taboo" of actually winning the semi final will play to there full potential,I don't think comparing today's game is a good indicator of dublin's strengths,having said that they did well to keep at it with 14 men and win.if the dubs can play like they did against tyrone they have as much as a chance as kerry to take the sam maguire cup.

Agreed completely . . Kerry would of struggled somewhat today . .

That aside, today was about Dublin putting some of their demons to the sword and they did . . They won an ugly game when things were going against them and actually won a game in a manner in which they have lost in the past (leading games , looking like winning and then losing from a position of victory).

I am looking forward to the final as a Dublin fan that doesnt expect anything other then a good performance. I dont expect them to win, but think they are well capable.

Up until know its actually been people outside of Dublin building us up and then calling us arrogant, which seems to be the case again here. The media does not represent the opinions of the Dublin fans, people in the country would do well to remember it. There are over 1mil readers in Dublin so the papers write sh*te to play up to their readers!

That aside, I believe the pressure is off Dublin. Nobody will be having them as favourates. I also think Dublin got more from this game then Kerry did from their game with Mayo. Either way, I think it makes for a much more entertaining game for everybody. Dont really care if people have or want Kerry to win, Im just glad that the Dubs will be there . . A big monkey was brushed off our backs today and I will enjoy the Final and think that either way it bodes well for the Dubs in the long term (with Minors and U21s).

bryaner wrote: »
    Dude I don't want burst your bubble, but if the dubs freeze or don't freeze Kerry should still beat them comfortably, I cant see any other outcome..

Ok your opinion is your opinion,Mine is I did not think kerry played great against mayo and after reading the many posts here claiming the same about wexford,kildare,tyrone & of course donegal how they will tear the dubs apart etc etc why am i not surprised people here are repeating them selfs.we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ok your opinion is your opinion,Mine is I did not think kerry played great against mayo and after reading the many posts here claiming the same about wexford,kildare,tyrone & of course donegal how they will tear the dubs apart etc etc why am i not surprised people here are repeating them selfs.we will see.

Well whoever said Donegal with their normal 13 men behind the ball would tear Dublin apart were taklin trough their arse..

Drumpot wrote: »
    Up until know its actually been people outside of Dublin building us up and then calling us arrogant, which seems to be the case again here. The media does not represent the opinions of the Dublin fans, people in the country would do well to remember it.That aside, I believe the pressure is off Dublin. Nobody will be having them as favourates. I also think Dublin got more from this game then Kerry did from their game with Mayo. Either way, I think it makes for a much more entertaining game for everybody. Dont really care if people have or want Kerry to win, Im just glad that the Dubs will be there . . A big monkey was brushed off our backs today and I will enjoy the Final and think that either way it bodes well for the Dubs in the long term (with Minors and U21s).

100% :)

Well whoever said Donegal with their normal 13 men behind the ball would tear Dublin apart were taklin trough their arse..

Talking through there arse. Seems to happen a lot around here. IMHO:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah totally agree - played in 5 semi finals outta 6 - only blip was last year's U21 AI winners .. not bad ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed completely . . Kerry would of struggled somewhat today . .

That aside, today was about Dublin putting some of their demons to the sword and they did . . They won an ugly game when things were going against them and actually won a game in a manner in which they have lost in the past (leading games , looking like winning and then losing from a position of victory).

I am looking forward to the final as a Dublin fan that doesnt expect anything other then a good performance. I dont expect them to win, but think they are well capable.

Up until know its actually been people outside of Dublin building us up and then calling us arrogant, which seems to be the case again here. The media does not represent the opinions of the Dublin fans, people in the country would do well to remember it. There are over 1mil readers in Dublin so the papers write sh*te to play up to their readers!

That aside, I believe the pressure is off Dublin. Nobody will be having them as favourates. I also think Dublin got more from this game then Kerry did from their game with Mayo. Either way, I think it makes for a much more entertaining game for everybody. Dont really care if people have or want Kerry to win, Im just glad that the Dubs will be there . . A big monkey was brushed off our backs today and I will enjoy the Final and think that either way it bodes well for the Dubs in the long term (with Minors and U21s).

Absolutely. 100% I wish more people from club 31 could be honest with themselves and see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

after todays woefull effort against donegal the dubs dont have a chance in hell against kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Stick the mortgage on Kerry done deal..

and we wonder why the country is fuc&d

shamrock55 wrote: »
    after todays woefull effort against donegal the dubs dont have a chance in hell against kerry

Take it you havent read the thread through, thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

shamrock55 wrote: »

I actually think the opposite is the case.

Had Dublin won by 10 points I would of been more worried then by todays slugfest . . I think they learned more about themselves today then Kerry have in any game this season . .

Hey, we are underdogs and I agree with the status, I just think that we have a really good chance of surprising those who are so desperate for us to fall at the final hurdle. .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

I can only hope Kerry leave their boots at home.Dublin can win this but Kerry are a formidable foe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah totally agree - played in 5 semi finals outta 6 - only blip was last year's U21 AI winners .. not bad ..

The above proves only one thing for me - plenty of experience of losing semis and absolutely no experience of playing in an All Irelan Final against a team with a plethora of players who can do it when it matters - time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I hope Kerry rip Dublin apart in the final and I think they will.

well there is a surprise :rolleyes: and me thinking you'd be putting on a blue jersey for the month of Sept (sure whatever other reason would you be wearing a jersey in Sept if it wasn't supporting all 4 Dublin teams in AI finals) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Kerry performing at full tilt from the beginning and they certainly have the better players and a manager who will have a plan A, B and C as distinct from Dublin who played in high ball to a man being marked by 3 or 4 men for nearly an hour today.

Come on thats not right...... He was being marked by 6 men!:D

Kerry-Dublin? I was at the Spring series game a few months back and was struck by how keenly contested the game was. Dublin won by point but it could have swung either way. Kerry moved the ball beautifully and patiently but leaked scores on the counter. Lots of people on these boards think the league means nothing (watching the Kerry lads afterwards i can't say i agree) but i can see a replica of that game occurring. Dublin will set up to limit the damage from the Kerry front 6 and look to move the ball at pace to their forwards. Kerry will play as they always do in finals.

Edge in experience could very well be the difference but i'll go for youthful exuberance and a strong work ethic to win it for Dublin by 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dave107

Hi could anyone tell me when Ticketmaster or Gaa,ie are putting the tickets on sale for the Final Thanks ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dave107 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone tell me when Ticketmaster or Gaa,ie are putting the tickets on sale for the Final Thanks ?

They won't, All-Ireland Final tickets are made available through the County Boards for connected people and through GAA Clubs for their members. This year will see the biggest demand for All-Ireland tickets in History. Looking forward to going to my 9th All-Ireland Final this year and it will be a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As people have been saying, Dublin haven't a chance in hell of winning the final. What they forget is that the final isn't being played in hell. :)

As for those who keep asking about Ticketmaster, all 12 months of the year GAA fans know, tickets for finals never get sold on Ticketmaster or Tickets.ie and never should be. You may still get one somewhere, but to be really in with a chance, do what the rest of us do and go to your first match of the year on the 1st of January next, or soon thereafter, or buy a season ticket, or a Parnell Pass if you are from Dublin, and then go out and support your county all year, not just in late summer and early autumn. Parnell Pass and season ticket holders are already guaranteed tickets, as they should be. A handful of us did brave the cold and a new year's eve hangover on the 1st of January this year to watch the Dublin footballers and hurlers take on the Blue Stars. As an aside, every county should have something similar. Anyway, it is the like of us and those that had to put up with Jedward desecrating Croke Park in the following months that should be first in line for tickets. Those that followed Kerry through their matches should be there. Those of us of both counties that went to see Kerry and Dublin play in Croke Park in the league should be there in 3 weeks time. On that basis, there will be thousands of empty seats at the final, so there will be no problem getting tickets, so you won't even need to buy them online, right?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 chris2bhoy

just glad its dublin kerry are playing im a kerryman and if we dont win it better see dublin win it at least they try to play football donegal are a disgrace way they play or try to play football 14 defenders behind the ball!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We're lucky down here in Kerry, our nice neighbours over the border in the Rebel republic always supports us :D Just as we supported them last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I think this could be the last hurrah for this Kerry team, can't see Dublin getting in their way.

Should be a fantastic final though, my girlfriend is from Dublin so it'd be great to pick up two tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kerry still have question marks about there defence while Dublin showed today they will be hard to break down. If it's a straight shoot out i can see only one winner Kerry. Hopefully it's better than todays game but i have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

First of all, congrats to Dublin who showed a lot of balls to come through that game. Down to 14 (very questionable call) and playing against a team whose first intention was to stop them playing rather than try to express themselves in any attacking sense. Some Donegal fans are whining about the criticism they're receiving about today's performance- well if you're trailing by a couple of scores late in the match and the opposition are down to 14 and you still won't commit more than one man to the full-forward line then you deserve all the criticism that comes your way.

As for the final: Connolly will be a big blow if he's ruled out. Perhaps it'll be overturned, hopefully it will be(although if it was Paul Galvin who threw a punch/push you can bet your arse he'd be banned). The biggest worry from a Kerry perspective will be how their full-back line will cope with Dublin's forwards. If Shane Enright is fully fit there'll be a chance he might start at corner back with Killian Young moving out to half-back. In the forwards, Galvin should come in for Walsh or O'Leary...and they'll probably be the only changes.

Prediction: Kerry 1-19 Dublin 2-14

Now to get a ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dave sherwin

Dub currently living in Christchurch, New Zealand looking for a loan and a ticket to return home for the minor and senior game.

Any takers??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I have deleted a whole host of what can only be described as stupid posts. I've been lenient and issued no infractions or bans.

The clue is in the title, Dublin v Kerry AI final. Talk about the all Ireland final, not rubbish about the semi finals or county rivalries that have nothing to do with the game.

Any additional off topic posts and nonsense will be dealt with more severely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think Kerry will win but Dublin have a great chance and are not to be underestimated! I think a close match that will all depend on how Dublin come out in the 2nd half. We've seen Dublin bottle it and fall away plenty of times but today they didn't, they got their result and deserve to be in the final.

On the ticket front, I completely agree with Flukey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The above proves only one thing for me - plenty of experience of losing semis and absolutely no experience of playing in an All Irelan Final against a team with a plethora of players who can do it when it matters - time and time again.

Ya need a re-read there Shamo, was speaking about this year's Dublin teams .. Minors in both Finals, U21 Hurlers and Senior Footballers .. only "disappointments" this year were Hurlers and U21 Footballers:D

Advertisement