Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

What is this fantasy?
    ...destroyed the children's day out by moving it without reason to a pub. I was at the harbour all day on that Sunday and there was no reason why the beach could not have been used by the children.

Eh? The kids had a great time, eating crepes and drinking minerals, getting ice creams and chips and all sorts of free goodies. Not to mention King Dustin the Turkey.... But to say the kids could have used the beach? There was a regatta on, the beach was in use for launching boats and parking trailers — GUBOH did the responsible thing by not rallying on the beach or slip.

As for credibility — this guy takes every scrap from the Sispar table and turns into a shining jewel on their behalf. His total disregard for the facts is what has created the appearance of division in the town and allowed Sispar to work on the basis that we are divided when we are not.

And don't you love that "several furious locals"? 'Several' can mean two, and 'locals' could be his wife and son — but no blow-ins.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The Durutti Column has been banned for 7 days due to repeated personal abuse and ignoring all moderator warnings to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Cant add a link as he has removed it from his facebook page.

No idea what thats about.

On a more positive note the 2nd annual ladies regatta is being held in Greystones sailing club this saturday. I believe its the only one in the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see some other councillors are also being a tad unrealistic.

Greystones to get 'Best Launching Facilites' in Ireland says Councillor

One slipway is not the 'Best Launching Facilites' in Ireland.

DL has two public slips, four club slips, a selection of cranes and the biggest travel hoist in Ireland (MGM, 50 tons).

What planet do these people live on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I see some other councillors are also being a tad unrealistic.

Greystones to get 'Best Launching Facilites' in Ireland says Councillor

One slipway is not the 'Best Launching Facilites' in Ireland.

DL has two public slips, four club slips, a selection of cranes and the biggest travel hoist in Ireland (MGM, 50 tons).

What planet do these people live on :confused:

Is there some way this harbour can progress without the influence of politicans? Not being smart, genuine question. From what I make of the previous councillors statements they don't have the residents of Greystones best interests at heart.

A non-politically affiliated committee that has decision making powers is what we need. In a perfect world eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5950184556_f75695bb26_z.jpg
    18/07/2011 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement

5950181032_26381d5e1d_z.jpg
    18/07/2011 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If they get one or two lads to start installing railings and a rough car park there, they should be finished by September. It's not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Yes but they are only removing the section from the south end as far as the slip/main entrance. It will undoubtedly be an improvement but its not enough in many peoples eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

To be fair to Sispar, they have promised little or nothing since the harbour project went to Nama, and that is exactly what they have delivered. All of the wild claims were made by local politicians.
    It's interesting to listen again now, with the benefit of hindsight, to this radio recording. According to the GUBOH spokeman, Sispar committed back in June to replacing a short section of the hoardings with metal railings, but not to any particular timetable. Nothing more.
    Informative.

http://greystones.posterous.com/what-happened-at-the-town-council-meeting-las

Audio from East Coast Radio.

The Lord Mayor and a representative of GUBOH discuss what was said last night at the meeting which included SISPAR
    recedite wrote: »
    At 06.40 of the recording Mayor Hayden says that "on 15th July we are going to have the southern end of the harbour opened up, and opened up to the public" (presumably the area south of the new slipway) Hoardings in that area will apparently be removed and replaced with decorative railings.
    He also says that Sispar have agreed to put in car parking, a grassy public square area, and "pens" for the watersports clubs to store their equipment in, but is evasive concerning the timescale for that aspect of the works.
    Well, we'll see on 15th July.
    Either Mayor Hayden is a man of action, getting things done, or he's a delusional soul living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I'll settle for any thing. It will be great to even get this small amount done. Its a long time since I fished the old pier. Get this done and then keep the pressure on. Well done Basil and GUBOH. Boo Hiss certain politicians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

To be fair to Sispar, they have promised little or nothing since the harbour project went to Nama, and that is exactly what they have delivered. All of the wild claims were made by local politicians.
    It's interesting to listen again now, with the benefit of hindsight, to this radio recording. According to the GUBOH spokeman, Sispar committed back in June to replacing a short section of the hoardings with metal railings, but not to any particular timetable. Nothing more.

Sadly for the people of Greystones Councillor Hayden gave Sispar a very easy ride during his year as the mayor of the town. He became a virtual apologist for the developers and put them under no pressure whatsoever to perform what they had contracted to do. As a result the building site at the harbour came to a complete standstill and nothing was happening until the brave people of GUBOH came on the scene. I salute the good ship GUBOH and all who sail in her for what they have achieved so far. But as we all know it is early days yet.

This is getting too personal now.

Locked till further notice.

After reviving many PM's regarding this thread and having a discussion with my fellow moderator we have decided to reopen this thread under strict conditions. As all previous warnings that myself and mango salsa issued have been ignored i have outlined below some points that will help this thread flow.

• Any personal abuse of fellow posters or anyone will incur a months ban.
    • Any off topic posts will be removed and the offender will receive an infraction.
    • If you want to rant about a Councillor start a new thread as this is not the place.
    • Read the forum charter before you post as it will help avoid moderator attention.
    Any further information required please pm mango salsa or myself and we will be glad to help out.

This is the final warning, if locked again it will not reopen and no new threads will be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

I think the moderators have a point, can we just start another thread on boards "ranting and raving about public officials and private individuals involved in GREYSTONES Harbour and Marina" ??

• Advertisement

5960919582_38aa723810_z.jpg
    DSC_6984 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

5960923146_b19dbab2d7_z.jpg
    DSC_6985 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Nice one....going to have to take a walk down there this evening....if it stops raining

5960931848_af6013ee9d_z.jpg
    DSC_6987 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Well done GUBOH!

Are we going to get an acceptable amenity for the people of Greystones or just
    lipstick on the Gorrilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

while its never going to be a patch on Howth, half a harbour is better than no harbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Is there any remedial work going on over the fence in those pictures or is just on the street side?

Langerland wrote: »
    while its never going to be a patch on Howth, half a harbour is better than no harbour!

I suggest that GUBOH doesn't accept a tokenal effort from Sispar, it's fantastic that the hoardings are coming down, but whatever we are left with, we will be looking at it for the next 10 years.

I've met some of the guys leading GUBOH and they are a very well informed bunch of professional people from across the board, but the pressure to accept a below par effort must be immense, keep up the fight GUBOH until you are satisfied! I will support you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

GUBOH may make declarations that they don't accept small measures doesn't mean Sispar takes any notice of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

I have been watching the thread for months! As a former member of the sailing club and rowing club, im glad to see that there is some movement at last with the harbour. Granted, some people feel its not enough but personally I think its a start, more pressure can be put on the developers at a later stage. When the medical center is up then is the time to re-visit the issue of further opening up more space. But at last we have some increased access.

Advertisement