Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abbey School -6 Month Actor Training. Opinions?

• 21-08-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on the 6 month part-time actor training in the Abbey School that runs from Jan - June. Opinions of the Abbey School in general would be appreciated aswell.

P.S.
    I posted a thread, in the last week, asking the same question about the Acting Diploma in The Betty Ann Norton Theatre School. If anyone has trained or heard views about the school, I'd welcome a reply.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dzerzhinsky

No harm to any of the schools out there but if you are looking for a career and still want to be working after 20 years then the Arts Council Research says you need to do a three year course. There will be exceptions but they just prove the rule. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Could you link to that research? I'm not doubting you, but I'd be very interested in reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I work in theatre and if you want to become a professional actor, I would recommend either The Gaiety School Of Acting or the English drama schools. Or if you are willing to wait a few months, there is a drama school opening in Trinity next year. You want a school that is well known in the business.

I checked out the Abbey School's website and I only recognised the name of one of the tutors. This school has no connection with The Abbey Theatre. But if you want to do a course to expand your horizons and to have fun, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

mags16 wrote: »
    I work in theatre and if you want to become a professional actor, I would recommend either The Gaiety School Of Acting or the English drama schools. Or if you are willing to wait a few months, there is a drama school opening in Trinity next year. You want a school that is well known in the business.

The Lir Academy launched its call for students for its first course today. It's the national academy for dramatic art that's been set up in Trinity and starts in 2011. They're doing courses for acting, directing, stage technicians and writers. And they've brought RADA in to support its development - www.thelir.ie.

Advertisement