Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to check that walls are pumped & insulation correctly installed

• 14-10-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting the walls pumped and insulation put in the attic.

How can I check that the walls have been pumped correctly and that there is no gaps in the insulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't understand the question.

You don't have it done currently but want to check when it's done?

Erm. Use a reputable installer I would say is your first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Use a thermal camera to photograph the house before and after installation of insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I suppose that's one of the advantages of conventional tongue and grooved wall slab insulation. If you put it in yourself, you can physically see that it's installed fully. Was looking at a new build recently and wasn't a shred of insulation in the cavities. Presume they were going to pump it in afterwards, I guess if the cavity is left reasonably clean, all will be covered but you'd wonder about some of the more complex parts of the construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The conflicts are:

Tongue and grove boards - The blocklayers have to install them so you are relying on them to do it right unless you stand over their shoulders 24/7. Many are excellent at that but I have met blocklayers who think the tongue is there to test their sawing skills and the grove is a handy place to store cigarette butts and crisp wrappers.

Pumped insulation - The blocklayers don't have to install it so they may not be as concerned about keeping cavity clean when any mortar snots they drop don't get in their own way.

So swings and roundabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Use a thermal camera to photograph the house before and after installation of insulation.

No need for the before photo. If it isn't done right, it'll show up clear as day during post works TI survey (in the right conditions of course).

• Advertisement
Advertisement