Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB new connection

• 10-10-2019 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭

We are moving to a new built estate house in the next 2 months. Builder told me I should get in touch with ESB people and choose an electricity supplier in order to get the heating / lighting commissioned.

I am wondering how many weeks does it take? And what's the cost for a new connection please?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

If its a new build on an estate, there should be power turned on before you get your keys. I assume you can pick your provider once you move in.
    It is up to the electrician who completed the job to send in certs so Esb can provide power. Electrician then connects up and completes a couple of further tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks Ak84.

Correct me if I am wrong, is there a connection that we need to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Thanks Ak84.

Correct me if I am wrong, is there a connection that we need to pay?

Should be included in the price of the house

Ok.
    I checked contract for the electric part and it says :

"Fittings inclusive of lamps are to be provided by the client"
    Does it mean we provide switches etc?
    bfclancy wrote: »
    Should be included in the price of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a difference between esb networks who provide the wired connection and the supplier who can be one of a number of companies.

The builder will surely be looking after the esb networks bit which is over 2000 euro i believe. They will install meter and connect house to grid.
    You just need to pick the supplier. There shouldnt be any cost to this other than sometimes they want 300 up front credit into account.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mickdw wrote: »
    There is a difference between esb networks who provide the wired connection and the supplier who can be one of a number of companies.

The builder will surely be looking after the esb networks bit which is over 2000 euro i believe. They will install meter and connect house to grid.
    You just need to pick the supplier. There shouldnt be any cost to this other than sometimes they want 300 up front credit into account.

Don't do this until you get the keys.

When you get the keys, take a meter reading and use that to open your account.

You do not need to do anything with electricity until the house is officially yours.
    Ok.
    I checked contract for the electric part and it says :

"Fittings inclusive of lamps are to be provided by the client"
    Does it mean we provide switches etc?

Basic lights and switches will be included as part of the build.

Thanks everyone.

Also I requested to get additional sockets which builder said will add another 200e per additional socket. Is it a usual range? As it requires extra wiring, etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also I requested to get additional sockets which builder said will add another 200e per additional socket. Is it a usual range? As it requires extra wiring, etc.

No, that's insanely expensive.

The builder just doesn't want to bother doing it, so he's quoting you mad money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

awec wrote: »
    No, that's insanely expensive.

The builder just doesn't want to bother doing it, so he's quoting you mad money.

Is it mad money? Opening up potentially walls, ceilings, or floors, and making good whatever disturbed, on top of electrical elements + time & delay to main contract

• Advertisement

Walls are not plastered yet. I have requested it at the same time when he's going to place other sockets. No electric work up done so far!

BryanF wrote: »
    Is it mad money? Opening up potentially walls, ceilings, or floors, and making good whatever disturbed, on top of electrical elements + time & delay to main contract

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Walls are not plastered yet. I have requested it at the same time when he's going to place other sockets. No electric work up done so far!

That’s crazy money for a socket during 1st fix, I paid €80 per socket during 1st fix which I thought was steep.

Trying talking with the electrician directly, I’d say the builder is adding his own fee plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cork981 wrote: »
    That’s crazy money for a socket during 1st fix, I paid €80 per socket during 1st fix which I thought was steep.

Trying talking with the electrician directly, I’d say the builder is adding his own fee plus vat.

80 is the figure ive seen and tbh it should more than cover it as long as its all agreed in time for 1st fix.

Thanks. Will get in touch with the builder.

Advertisement