Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to ski Boot Fitting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Mafra wrote: »
    I rented a pair of boots in Switzerland and really liked them. I asked if they would sell them to me but they asked a lot of money, considering they were 2 yr old model, which I wouldn't mind as they were in fantastic condition.(I googled the price and they were much cheaper new).
    So now I'm finding trouble finding the same model as they have been replaced or updated.
    I'm wondering should I go back and pay for the ones I liked and was comfortable in or go and have a pair fitted?
    I'm just worried that I'll have to break in a new pair (or they break me in) and what if they're not as good? I've only ever rented and never had them properly or custom fitted.
    Any advice please??

I'll start off by saying my knowledge of boot fitting is zero, I've rented for years and always had mixed feelings about the boots I got. I decided to buy my own so I'd have a consistent feeling about them. I was told in snow and rock moulding pretty much takes the breaking in our of buying boots, I've used mine once since getting them and had no pains using them, I had to play around on how tight to have them for a bit but once I found where I needed to be they were grand. With out a doubt the best boots I've ever worn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I bought my boots in MacSki a few years ago, due to being pregnant over one ski holiday, have only been able to use them twice. The second time I had lost a few kgs, and the problem I had (which really drove the purchase of my own boots) was really thick calves! Now, I only went from a size 12 to a 10, but my legs have changed shape. Any recommendations on what I could do? My foot seems to move around a bit too much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I had my one and only week ruined last year due to ankle pain from pressure put on the bone by the boots pressing on it on my first day. I took the boots to snow and rock after I came back and they suggested a footbed and remould of the boots/liner, which I got done and thought nothing more of it until this week (heading away on Saturday). stuck the boots on last night and can instantly feel pressing on the ankle. I don't want to ruin another week with them, so should I bring them with me and hope to get them looked at in resort or sack them off and buy/rent a new pair when I get there?

I had my one and only week ruined last year due to ankle pain from pressure put on the bone by the boots pressing on it on my first day. I took the boots to snow and rock after I came back and they suggested a footbed and remould of the boots/liner, which I got done and thought nothing more of it until this week (heading away on Saturday). stuck the boots on last night and can instantly feel pressing on the ankle. I don't want to ruin another week with them, so should I bring them with me and hope to get them looked at in resort or sack them off and buy/rent a new pair when I get there?

I'd say go back to Snow & Rock? Not sure what their policy is, but I know MacSki will help you resolve your boots, no matter how long ago you bought them. Usually a footbed will help sort out any pressing on an ankle. Could it be too high? Maybe shove another one in to see if that helps too?

Ah Crap! I just realised that MacSki have closed!!

olaola wrote: »
    I'd say go back to Snow & Rock? Not sure what their policy is, but I know MacSki will help you resolve your boots, no matter how long ago you bought them. Usually a footbed will help sort out any pressing on an ankle. Could it be too high? Maybe shove another one in to see if that helps too?

Ah Crap! I just realised that MacSki have closed!!

Getting the time now is the problem. For me to take a week off work means doing 3 weeks work the week before, so it will be late nights for me all this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

McSki closed last year

Getting the time now is the problem. For me to take a week off work means doing 3 weeks work the week before, so it will be late nights for me all this week.

A boot shop in the resort might help? Esp if you're renting skis from them? Did you get little plastic 'lifts' in the box with your boots? Might be worth fiddling around at home to find the right height for your ankle in the boot. Even pop in some cardboard just to get an idea. Start with nothing in and start adding layers until it hits the sweet spot.

Do not fiddle with your own, boots, do not put cardboard in them, go to a proper boot fitter, even with my experience and knowledge I still couldn't get my own boots right. Even with a top class fitter it takes a good few hours to get them right.

Fattes wrote: »
    Do not fiddle with your own, boots, do not put cardboard in them, go to a proper boot fitter, even with my experience and knowledge I still couldn't get my own boots right. Even with a top class fitter it takes a good few hours to get them right.

Don't put insoles into your own boots? Or cardboard to see if an extra pair of insoles would help?? What's gonna happen? Spontaneous combustion?

Strain on your arches, alignment so poor it will put pressure on your ankle, knees and hip joints, that cause lasting damage, strain on ligaments and tendons The foot has 26 bones, 20 articulated joints, But you know I am sure like me you have some training in boot fitting or knowledge of how to properly align a ski boot to a customer that could have various complications by diagnosing it via the internet.

The only people that should be giving advise to people is a qualified boot fitter with the relevant tools, and knowledge to best fit and adjust the boot the the customers needs. The above described symptoms, could be solved by boot canting, sole planing, cuff alinement or shell modification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What's gonna happen? Spontaneous combustion?
    Broken leg or worse.

Loss of control because your boots aren't right is a risk I wouldn't take.

This sums it up

Strain on your arches, alignment so poor it will put pressure on your ankle, knees and hip joints, that cause lasting damage, strain on ligaments and tendons The foot has 26 bones, 20 articulated joints, But you know I am sure like me you have some training in boot fitting or knowledge of how to properly align a ski boot to a customer that could have various complications by diagnosing it via the internet.

The only people that should be giving advise to people is a qualified boot fitter with the relevant tools, and knowledge to best fit and adjust the boot the the customers needs. The above described symptoms, could be solved by boot canting, sole planing, cuff alinement or shell modification.

WHERE did I say 'Go and ski with cardboard in your boots'????

Do you actually read any posts before commenting on them?

The fellow doesn't have time to get his boots refitted in Snow & Rock (see, I actually READ his post) and I thought that maybe, offering him some advice, instead of trolling the post looking for something to moan about might be a better use of my time.

Steve wrote: »
    Broken leg or worse.

Loss of control because your boots aren't right is a risk I wouldn't take.

I never suggested he skis with cardboard in his boots. Please read the post before commenting.

WHERE did I say 'Go and ski with cardboard in your boots'????

Do you actually read any posts before commenting on them?

The fellow doesn't have time to get his boots refitted in Snow & Rock (see, I actually READ his post) and I thought that maybe, offering him some advice, instead of trolling the post looking for something to moan about might be a better use of my time.

Trolling ha ha! Perhaps check the definition. Correct and relevant advice is never trolling. You were giving someone advice on how to fit ski boots I will ask again what qualification do you have to suggest stuffing cardboard in their boots will help in any way.

The problem with this forum and the original purpose do this thread was to mitigate the woeful amounts of poor, ignorant commentary in relation to boot fitting. Sadly to many people with no qualification or relevant knowledge were giving advice that was worse than useless or damaging to those seeking it.

Boot fitting is a science and requires precision, skill and knowledge. The reality is if they don't have time' to solve the problem they will somehow have to make time, or they risk making the problem more severe or creating a bigger issue

To close this one out, I brought the boots with me and got them adjusted in resort. They have been spot on for the 2 days I've worn them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Lads,

I made the switch from Boarding to Skiing last year and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm planning on taking some lessons here again with the missus before heading off on our annual ski trip in the new year.

To that end I've convinced her that we should both get some properly fitted ski boots and "break them in" on the dry slope here before going. I reckon that it can only help our technique and progression having proper boots.

We're planning on taking a spin down to Snow and Rock some weekday and I was just wondering if its still the best place to go for proper guidance and fitting of boots. If not, has anyone got any advice on what we should do?

Thanks lads

Lads,

I made the switch from Boarding to Skiing last year and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm planning on taking some lessons here again with the missus before heading off on our annual ski trip in the new year.

To that end I've convinced her that we should both get some properly fitted ski boots and "break them in" on the dry slope here before going. I reckon that it can only help our technique and progression having proper boots.

We're planning on taking a spin down to Snow and Rock some weekday and I was just wondering if its still the best place to go for proper guidance and fitting of boots. If not, has anyone got any advice on what we should do?

Thanks lads

Its pretty much the only show in town right now as Great Outdoors previous expert boot fitter is no longer working there.

Ask for Hubert, he is the best of what is available in Ireland right now, an ex top class ski racer, inexperienced boot fitter but good knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Thanks Fattes.

Thats the problem living here alright, lack of good options for these things. Try as I might, i just can't convince my wife to move to the Alps :)

To be honest, since were both really only beginners I'm sure that somebody with his knowledge is probably still going to be good enough (hopefully). I'll call ahead before we go in and make sure he is around.

Thanks for all the help, you really are a wealth of knowledge!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

When you get to the alps, there will we plenty of ski shops willing to help you - intersport etc.
    Go in and explain that you want to 'try and then buy', they will fit you properly, rent them to you, and you can come back every day and try something different it it doesn't suit.

As a beginner (to skiing) I wouldn't recommend this though, rent your boots the first year and get a feel for what works, don't be shy about going back to the renter and changing them.

Skis for a first time skiier should be below your eye level when stood up in the shop. Shorter = slower and easier to turn, longer = faster and harder to turn.

• Advertisement

When you get to the alps, there will we plenty of ski shops willing to help you - intersport etc.
    Go in and explain that you want to 'try and then buy', they will fit you properly, rent them to you, and you can come back every day and try something different it it doesn't suit.

As a beginner (to skiing) I wouldn't recommend this though, rent your boots the first year and get a feel for what works, don't be shy about going back to the renter and changing them.

Skis for a first time skiier should be below your eye level when stood up in the shop. Shorter = slower and easier to turn, longer = faster and harder to turn.

Interski are the worst boot fitters on the planet! It would like getting custom running shoes in champion sports. Very few resorts actually have good boot fitters. The resort I live in for example the nearest decent boot fitter is 40min away! Also a huge premium in resort in terms of equipment when purchasing. Boots are always a good investment, Make the ski experience much better. Ron day one

Also the ski advice is very outdated and wrong! World Cup slalom skis are 155cm long - 165cm for men. Although shorter turns turn quicker they, are much more unstable and skis that are to short, eject a lot of skiers out the back seat

Much like the first post in this thread, lots of bad advice going around still!

Also the ski advice is very outdated and wrong!

Much like the first post in this thread, lots of bad advice going around still!
    What is wrong about it, please tell me? I'm only going on what I hear in Austria every year... if they are feeding me Ziegendrek then please .. the floor is yours. :)

What is wrong about it, please tell me? I'm only going on what I hear in Austria every year... if they are feeding me Ziegendrek then please .. the floor is yours. :)

Guess for some background first, ISIA full time instructor working in Switzerland as a trainer for a ski school, and a senior instructor.Race and Freestyle coach and ex FIS racer. Trained bootfitter, sponsored athlete & brand ambassador for one of the major ski companies, and will be spending the next week training retail staff in the UK about next years equipment!

New technology has lead to hundreds of different Torsional stiffness materials such as flax, hemp, plastics and titanium, super fibers, polymod Carbon and Koroyd have changed ski design and performance dramatically.

Saying shorter skis are slower is wildly inaccurate Slalom skis 165 are stable up to speeds of 90- 100 kph. A punter rental ski with composite core with 165 length will struggle at 60 kph. Different construction but the same length. Lower end Rental skis tend not to be sidewall construction and composite Foam cores. They will be very different to a wood core sidewall ski of the same length.

Length of ski for beginner varies, depending on build, weight and boot length. Yes rental shops will shovel Kuhscheiße as they just want you to take what they say and get you out. About eye level is a good rule of thumb these days. If the skis are to short yes they are easier to turn, but they are much more unstable and vibrate more, making them more difficult to control, increasing fatigue and impeding technique

Longer skis can cause more damage in a fall by creating greater twisting forces on the joints. So shops will play it safer as the falls on shorter skis reduce that risk by a marginal %

The standard Austrian treatment in a rental shop is get them in and out as quickly and as safe as possible, with the skis that give them the biggest profit margin!

Just reading this back it should read French/Austrian/Italian/Swiss rental shop, as the behaviour is fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Fattes ,
    I bought the Rossignol Experience 80 (168cm)
    Im 5ft 6 and 205lbs (fatlad)
    should be ok? as an intermediate i reckon i might find them tough to begin with but room to grow in them?
    did a load of research and they seemed the ski that best suited.

I had to buy boots off the shelf , spent ages measuring myself and trying boots on without the lining and picked a pair that matched up with what the experts said to look out for.
    My problem was the width , all the higher flex boots had narrow width so the Head boots i got allowed me to adjust that.
    They seem about right although i wont know for sure till i get on the snow , my thinking is i can get them adjusted in resort?
    Ill maybe take them down to Kilternan and get a feel for them

It's hard to tell without having seen you ski or knowing you but it's the type of ski I recommend most for intermediaries. A 78-84 under foot mountain front side ski, which is what you have there!

Most high performance boots with Flex of 100 and upwards tend to have a narrower last, but depending on the tow box and construction some can feel roomier. Plenty of company's offering custom she'll technology to help with that.

Lots of luck and fun with the new kit, if you are up in the ski club let me know. Also like Boris the blade says "heavy is good" it makes gravity your friend and co pilot ;)

Just a brief glimpse of how complicated boot fitting actually is! This is 3 of 10 processes over my 2.5 hour fitting today in the hands of an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 2 al8217

I'm in the market for some women's freeride touring boots, and looking some advice on where is the best place to get these.

I'd like to go to a good boot fitter, and get the right pair for my feet. Last time I went through the custom-fitting process was in Canada and there was a good selection of expert fitters. I'm not so familiar with who to go to in the Alps/Ireland/London.
    It's all the more difficult as I'm looking for pin-compatible women's boots, its a pretty small market, there's only a few models that meet my requirements and not many shops will stock them.

I'm considering an early season trip out to a glacier resort & get boots there - maybe Hintertux- does anyone know a good fitter in the Zillertal region?
    Would also consider other snowsure resorts if there was a good shop with a good fitter and backcountry boot selection.
    I'd also consider London, but I'd prefer to be able to ski the boots and go back to the fitter if they needed any adjustments.

Any thoughts?

al8217 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for some women's freeride touring boots, and looking some advice on where is the best place to get these.
    I'd like to go to a good boot fitter, and get the right pair for my feet. Last time I went through the custom-fitting process was in Canada and there was a good selection of expert fitters. I'm not so familiar with who to go to in the Alps/Ireland/London.
    It's all the more difficult as I'm looking for pin-compatible women's boots, its a pretty small market, there's only a few models that meet my requirements and not many shops will stock them.
    I'm considering an early season trip out to a glacier resort & get boots there - maybe Hintertux- does anyone know a good fitter in the Zillertal region?
    Would also consider other snowsure resorts if there was a good shop with a good fitter and backcountry boot selection.
    I'd also consider London, but I'd prefer to be able to ski the boots and go back to the fitter if they needed any adjustments.

Any thoughts?

* Disclaimer, I ski on a pro deal with Salomon

Hey, from a boot point of view you have tons of choice, both Salomon, Atomic, Dalbelli, Scarpa and technical now have pin compatible boots that are compatible or better than traditional brands.

In Ireland your only real option is Snow and Rock Dubdrum, they are carrying the boot attached, in the pic and if you only need footbeds they are more than capable of doing that.

In the UK Colin in Solutions for feet Bichester is the best there is or surefeet in London is in.

In Hintertux the ski rental and sale shop at Tuxer Fernerhaus Top of the 2nd Gondola is really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Fattes, can you recommend a boot fitter in St Anton? I'm going to find it hard to get to Snow and Rock pre holiday and if I knew of a decent fitting service, I'd get myself sorted in St Anton.

Advertisement