Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

private quiet ceremony, should I do something?

Options
  • 08-10-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So my brother has just asked me to witness his wedding on Saturday. It will just be the two of them and two witnesses. They just want it to be quiet. I asked him when they would tell people he said maybe Saturday evening. I am wondering do I just show up and do as required or should I do something small to help mark theoccasion for them? If so what should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hmmm.....might be nice to have a little speech or something.

In my (limited) experience, even people that say they don't want to have a big deal appreciate a few nice words or something special to mark the occasion.

Maybe bring a bottle of bubbly and some glasses for a toast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Treat them to a nice lunch somewhere if they have the time free afterwards, otherwise just have a nice bottle of chilled champagne on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

My guess is this is something they've thought hard about and decided this was the way they want to celebrate low key. Its wouldn't be your place to decide something different for them by telling people. I think the champagne and speech and lunch ideas are all lovely. Hope ye have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Does anyone know if you definately need two witnesses and/or can you go to a place where they provide the witnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

wexie wrote: »
    hmmm.....might be nice to have a little speech or something.

In my (limited) experience, even people that say they don't want to have a big deal appreciate a few nice words or something special to mark the occasion.

Maybe bring a bottle of bubbly and some glasses for a toast?

+ 1 on the bubbles for outside the registry office , wouldn't worry about " a speech " per say but a quick personal congrats won't go astray

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

A bottle of bubblies would be nice after the ceremony. They might want to do something only two of them after ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mozattack wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you definately need two witnesses and/or can you go to a place where they provide the witnesses?

You need 2 but you can get 2 strangers on the street.

Advertisement