Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Rhys1995 wrote: »
    Also from 2018 campaign and my vetting is still outstanding . I think about 95% of people who haven’t been offered a place in the November intake from 2018 application are just waiting on vetting to be cleared .

So you think we still have a chance ? What if we dont get the November intake ?? Would you know.the next one is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rhys1995

Jake5991 wrote: »
    So you think we still have a chance ? What if we dont get the November intake ?? Would you know.the next one is ??

There’s always a chance you could get it ,but for me personally I’m preparing myself to not get in the November intake , so at-least when it starts I’m not too sad haha .

The next one as far as I know is March/April

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Can I ask what you failed your first PCT on? - I’ve mine this week and I’m very nervous. Any advice that you used second time around?

I should start by saying I'm a 27yr old woman, so my qualifying standards might be different to yours.

I took part in the 2017 Campaign and failed on the Beep Test, so I downloaded the app onto my phone, chalked two lines onto the tarmac outside my house and just practiced two to three times a week. I also attended a Personal Training class three/four times a week that included strength training and worked on my sprinting at home on a treadmill.
    I worked my ass off for six months until the 2018 campaign opened, and kept the training going the entire time.

For my first PCT of the 2018 Campaign I flew through the Beep Test, and the push-ups and sit-ups. The obstacle course was passed in 2mins and 35 seconds, but it was the push-pull machine that caught me. I'm only 5'3" and 60kg, so it was challenging for me. I only got an average of 22kg and I needed 22.5kg. So I trained some more for the 12 weeks until I got my retest. I flew through my retest, getting an average of 27kg.

Just bear in mind with the push-pull that it's not all about upper-body strength. Approach it as you would pushing a car; lock your arms and generate the power from your thighs. HANG out of the machine and use your entire body to pull it back to you. Go hell for leather for those 20 seconds.
    You'll have a chance to play around with the machine and test it first; use that and fool around with it as much as you can to get a feeling for it.

Have a breakfast. Approach with a positive frame of mind. And don't freak out. You'll have a chance at a re-test if the worst happens, so use it as a learning experience too. And from someone who's on her second campaign - it's never the end of the world.
    Best of luck!!! :)

I’m 33 year old woman so I’m also the easier group. Just nervous. But thanks so
    Much for taking the time to reply. Really helps the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Hi all, I had open heart surgery when I was a child. I've been discharged regarding it 9 years ago. Would I need a letter from my GP saying that it's no longer a concern for the medical? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Barry69

AF96DUB wrote: »
    Hi all, I had open heart surgery when I was a child. I've been discharged regarding it 9 years ago. Would I need a letter from my GP saying that it's no longer a concern for the medical? Thanks

Yes get that letter and bring it with you on the day of the medical or you will be waiting to be cleared until you send it in and it's signed off by the doctor, which can take weeks so will delay everything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ulrika15

I got told last Wednesday that I passed my interview, I was just wondering does it take long till the Form B is sent out or long until you hear about the physical fitness test?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Barry69 wrote: »
    Yes get that letter and bring it with you on the day of the medical or you will be waiting to be cleared until you send it in and it's signed off by the doctor, which can take weeks so will delay everything for you.

Great, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseecath

Ulrika15 wrote: »
    I got told last Wednesday that I passed my interview, I was just wondering does it take long till the Form B is sent out or long until you hear about the physical fitness test?

First of all, well done!

My sister and friend are in this year's campaign and got the emails for the interview results last week too. They're 121 and 105 OOM, and both are still waiting for Form B to be issued to them, so it's not just you waiting on it.

I think the new schedule they're using this year is still having the bugs worked out. All along we had to fill in Form B before the interview stage, but they've changed it this year.
    I got my 2018 interview result on the 2nd of October last year, they emailed GP clearance forms to people on the 28th of December and my first PCT was scheduled for 2nd March 2019. In that regard they gave me quite a bit of time, but be warned with fitness retests some people I spoke to only got maybe ten days' notice. Kind of depends what mood HRM are in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ulrika15

First of all, well done!

My sister and friend are in this year's campaign and got the emails for the interview results last week too. They're 121 and 105 OOM, and both are still waiting for Form B to be issued to them, so it's not just you waiting on it.

I think the new schedule they're using this year is still having the bugs worked out. All along we had to fill in Form B before the interview stage, but they've changed it this year.
    I got my 2018 interview result on the 2nd of October last year, they emailed GP clearance forms to people on the 28th of December and my first PCT was scheduled for 2nd March 2019. In that regard they gave me quite a bit of time, but be warned with fitness retests some people I spoke to only got maybe ten days' notice. Kind of depends what mood HRM are in to be honest.

Oh great, My OOM is 285. My friend is 85 and she heard last week like myself. I got my Form B today by email, they must of heard me talking. I wasn’t expecting it for another 2/3 weeks going on the last batch who waited 4 weeks after hearing there result from the interview. Yeah everything is so muddled. Fingers crossed it might be a fast process this time around as it seems to be moving quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Just curious, does anyone know how many they are taking in for the November Intake and if that makes the total amount taken in for 2019 of 600, 700 or 800?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

200 ish, total 600 ish

Witcher wrote: »
    200 ish, total 600 ish

Wasn't the original intake meant to be 800, then that was reduced to 600-700?

Thought i read somewhere that they weren't looking for as many as originally intended this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yeah it's normally 800 and they've taken 600

Witcher wrote: »
    Yeah it's normally 800 and they've taken 600

Any mention if its 600 again next year or more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grod18

Hi All :)

Does anyone know when the next PCT dates is? I have to do the bleep test resit. Will this be before Christmas or after Christmas :)

Thanks.

Grod18 wrote: »
    Hi All :)

Does anyone know when the next PCT dates is? I have to do the bleep test resit. Will this be before Christmas or after Christmas :)

Thanks.

My sis is in this year's campaign, but I haven't heard anything yet. They only just got Form B and no GP clearance form, so no date for the PCT yet.

Just be aware that besides the beep test, you're gonna have to re-do your sit-ups and push-ups too, as they're judged in the same module as the shuttle run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grod18

My sis is in this year's campaign, but I haven't heard anything yet. They only just got Form B and no GP clearance form, so no date for the PCT yet.

Just be aware that besides the beep test, you're gonna have to re-do your sit-ups and push-ups too, as they're judged in the same module as the shuttle run. :)

Hi :)

Thanks for the reply, do you think the fitness tests will be after Christmas If they have not heard as of yet.

Thanks.

Grod18 wrote: »
    Hi :)

Thanks for the reply, do you think the fitness tests will be after Christmas If they have not heard as of yet.

Thanks.

Last year I got my GP clearance form after Xmas and my PCT was in March, but I can't outright say. They're using a different layout and schedule this year. :confused:

Folks I failed my PCT on Friday. Will I hear from HR before the 12 weeks are up or do I need to contact them at all before then?

• Advertisement

Folks I failed my PCT on Friday. Will I hear from HR before the 12 weeks are up or do I need to contact them at all before then?

Awwww, sorry to hear that! :(

You don't need to contact them. They'll email you with a new date within 12 weeks or can possibly contact you before then if a slot becomes available on an earlier re-test.

You can choose whether to take the earlier date if you wish or wait until the 12 weeks have elapsed, but you will have to attend the second date.

What did you fail on, might I ask?

Awwww, sorry to hear that! :(

You don't need to contact them. They'll email you with a new date within 12 weeks or can possibly contact you before then if a slot becomes available on an earlier re-test.

You can choose whether to take the earlier date if you wish or wait until the 12 weeks have elapsed, but you will have to attend the second date.

What did you fail on, might I ask?

Aww thanks. I thought that but then panicked that I should of been in contact with them.

Failed on my shuttle run and obstacle- passed push ups / sit ups and push pull
    Really was mind over matter on the shuttle I think. Just gotta improve my fitness

Aww thanks. I thought that but then panicked that I should of been in contact with them.

Failed on my shuttle run and obstacle- passed push ups / sit ups and push pull
    Really was mind over matter on the shuttle I think. Just gotta improve my fitness

It's almost mind over matter on the entire thing, but now you've done it once it will really take away the nerves for the next time!

The best practice I done was downloading the shuttle run app onto my phone and chalking out a 22m track outside my house. I deliberately made it slightly longer than the original 20m so that I was over-compensating. Then it was just a matter of practicing two to three times a week.
    I also used a treadmill to work on my overall cardio and spinning classes twice a week.
    And now that you know what the obstacle course is and how it runs, you'll breeze it the next time! :)

You'll get there!

It's almost mind over matter on the entire thing, but now you've done it once it will really take away the nerves for the next time!

The best practice I done was downloading the shuttle run app onto my phone and chalking out a 22m track outside my house. I deliberately made it slightly longer than the original 20m so that I was over-compensating. Then it was just a matter of practicing two to three times a week.
    I also used a treadmill to work on my overall cardio and spinning classes twice a week.
    And now that you know what the obstacle course is and how it runs, you'll breeze it the next time! :)

You'll get there!

Cheers, I had been doing treadmill runs but it’s really not the same so will defo download the app. There’s a 20m track at my gym so will give it a whirl over next 10 weeks or so. Someone else mentioned spin classes so I’ve booked in for tomorrow morning. It’ll help with the aul BMI too haha

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Hi guys, just wondering does anyone have idea what to expect from the sergeant/Superintendent interview? Like do we need to prepare anything or is it more informal? Thanks.

SeanD123 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering does anyone have idea what to expect from the sergeant/Superintendent interview? Like do we need to prepare anything or is it more informal? Thanks.

Mine were both pretty informal. The Sargent went over my form b and asked me few questions about myself and my family. I’m from the north so neither had any access to my records etc and neither had any knowledge of myself or my family so wasn’t much they could go into with me but we’re both relaxed and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

SeanD123 wrote: »
    It is informal but dont treat it as informal!' The rugby jersey and jeans can be left at home.
    They will go over your form, ask about your interests, why you want to join up ( and why you want to give up your present high paying position!!)
    The Sergeant will report up on his/her observations ( if there is an issue it mightnt be put in writing but told verbally to the boss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Guys did any of you have to fill out a vetting form . I thought the form b was the vetting ?

Iv everything done and i just rang hq and they transferred me to the getting and they told me to check my emails but i never got an email about vetting . It was just the aptitude tests the fitness test the interview and medical .

Were we meant to get a seperate vetting form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cornflakes132

When do you get form b? After the interview?

• Advertisement

When do you get form b? After the interview?

If you pass the interview, they email it to you.

Advertisement