Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oak floor and pine bed/door match?

• 22-09-2019 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Have old pine floorboards in bedrooms and want to install new flooring . The bed is a Mexican pine, the door is warm pine , the skirting is white,walls are off-white. Would a warm shade oak floor work here?
    Worst case ,could replace the bed with a white bed but trying to avoid that obviously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭raxy

seefin wrote: »
    Have old pine floorboards in bedrooms and want to install new flooring . The bed is a Mexican pine, the door is warm pine , the skirting is white,walls are off-white. Would a warm shade oak floor work here?
    Worst case ,could replace the bed with a white bed but trying to avoid that obviously

Just paint the bed if it doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Thinking now of a white wood laminate. Would ye choose a white skirting or would pine skirting be ok. Walls would also be off-white, almost same shade as flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I wouldnt get a white wood laminate. Grey might be ok.

anewme wrote:
    I wouldnt get a white wood laminate. Grey might be ok.

Have seen an ok off-white laminate, with hints of oak. Why wouldn't you get white out of curiosity? It just would look well?

Have seen an ok off-white laminate, with hints of oak. Why wouldn't you get white out of curiosity? It just would look well?

I'm not mad about laminate at the best of times - and would never get it again.

I have solid oak flooring downstairs and laminate in the bedrooms. I kept the original floorboards in one bedroom and sanded them and am raging I did not do the same with the other 2 rooms, or wait till I had the money to get real wood. The laminate looks fine in the 2 bedrooms and has worn ok, but it just looks false.

Recently just got the downstairs re-sanded after 12 years - it looks amazing and everyone who has come to the house has remarked on it.

I've seen some of the white laminates and they look very laminate looking, where some of the greys and in particular the oaks look more realistic.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote:
    Recently just got the downstairs re-sanded after 12 years - it looks amazing and everyone who has come to the house has remarked on it.

The existing boards have big gaps and cracks in them , beyond repair really else prefer keep them as live the natural real look Would love wood but budget won't allow. Get what you're saying about realism , will keep in mind

The existing boards have big gaps and cracks in them , beyond repair really else prefer keep them as live the natural real look Would love wood but budget won't allow. Get what you're saying about realism , will keep in mind

They have come on so much since I got mine done (12 years ago) but still certain ones look "plastic", so be careful. I find the oak ones look more realistic.

Pity about your floorboards - thats why I only did one bedroom, the other two were not great. In hindsight, should have waited and got wood, but you know yourself when you are trying to finish the house.

The oak ones now tend to look more realistic while some of the white and even grey look like a photo on a piece of wood.

Again shop around and you should be ok.

the reason I did not say oak in the first place, was that oak floors, with mexican pine bed and pine door would be wood overkill, so I can see why you would suggest off white.

anewme wrote:
    the reason I did not say oak in the first place, was that oak floors, with mexican pine bed and pine door would be wood overkill, so I can see why you would suggest off white.

And room are tiny so the different timbers would be on top of each other, so to speak. Install of wood floors costs alot more ? Its only 26 sq yards for 2 rooms so maybe worth spending an extra 500 to get nice wood floor. Again dilemma of what kind of wood would match the pine though

Wood flooring is a lot more to be fitted so you have to go with what you can afford. I'd get oak floors either wood or best quality laminate you can and get the pine bed sprayed or painted . I've seen them done and they have come out fantastic and will make it look like new.

Wood flooring is a lot more to be fitted so you have to go with what you can afford. I'd get oak floors either wood or best quality laminate you can and get the pine bed sprayed or painted . I've seen them done and they have come out fantastic and will make it look like new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm in the middle of painting over every skirting board in the house that is pine varnished with an off white (French white)
    It is very much 90's and if you paint it an off white it will match everything and give more light in the room, same with architraves

Advertisement