Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

amadablam wrote: »
    Problem is that they are resetting them offline in gamestop which won't deregister your account.

Easist thing to do with multiple accounts is

Delete them one by one before you get into GS and while you are online, this will deregister each one for you and remove account details.

Then add a new user account offline before you go in so they can test it and reset it with just that account.

The majority of the stores don't have WiFi in the entire shop so their reset never syncs with Nintendo servers.

Yup mine are all gone and unlinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Going to trade mine in tomorrow for the upgrade.

Just to confirm what I should do:

Back up all of my cloud saves
    Delete all accounts from my current Switch
    Create new user account

Head into Gamestop, they will check that it's working and reset it.

Get new Switch

Add my accounts back on
    Download all of my games
    Download all of my cloud saves

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I dropped a quick email to support yesterday about the spurious €10 cleaning charge and got a call this morning. there's currently €20 gift card winging it's way to me as an apology. Can't argue with that response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I removed my accounts and reset at home. Then added a dummy account.

Guy in gamestop did nothing more than power it on, then put it back in the box. 20 seconds of checking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is anyone finding the download speeds to be utterly horrendous on the new Switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, seems slow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is anyone finding the download speeds to be utterly horrendous on the new Switch?

I don't think they were never fantastic really but I think I'm getting better results since I connected to the 5ghz WiFi on the router at home. It's still kinda slow though.

Its a pity they don't allow you to pause the download as well.

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    Going to trade mine in tomorrow for the upgrade.

Just to confirm what I should do:

Back up all of my cloud saves
    Delete all accounts from my current Switch
    Create new user account

Head into Gamestop, they will check that it's working and reset it.

Get new Switch

Add my accounts back on
    Download all of my games
    Download all of my cloud saves

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

All good, just make sure you are online when deleting your accounts.

I took a photo on my phone of each of the email accounts linked to each account on my switch as well as it helps speed up the set up of the new one.

Remove your SD card as well if you haven't done although it will be linkined to your old console but better than losing the card.

Also, with anyone who needs to download their games or prioritise their downloads on a data allowance, here is a link to most of the game file sizes.

Mods, please move this to the correct place if I'm in the wrong section but I thought it might be useful to some.

NINTENDO SWITCH Game file sizes

Very useful, thanks amadablam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It was slow as **** on the old Switch too

Yeah maybe it just seems slower because you're downloading 30+ games in one go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Nah since 6pm yesterday I've only managed to download 80gb over wired connection. Should be done by Sat evening at this rate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I took a photo on my phone of each of the email accounts linked to each account on my switch as well as it helps speed up the set up of the new one.

Remove your SD card as well if you haven't done although it will be linkined to your old console but better than losing the card.

Thanks for the reminder on the SD card.

Hopefully I can get this wrapped up in the morning then.

Great deal from Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember one of the YouTube channels highlighted this when they were reviewing the unit. Seems to be a known issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I completely blanked on this and now am not able to re-download most of my games as I fiddled with my accounts last year while travelling. I have all the receipts in my core email account as they al went through PayPal but no access. Have emailed Nintendo about it so hopefully it can be resolved.

Can't find any record of the alternative email account either even though I'm certain I set my core account as the recovery. Feeling pretty stupid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's crazy how awkward it seems to be to change consoles in 2020 when you consider how seamless it is on pretty much every other platform I can think of.

Rhyme wrote: »
    I completely blanked on this and now am not able to re-download most of my games as I fiddled with my accounts last year while travelling. I have all the receipts in my core email account as they al went through PayPal but no access. Have emailed Nintendo about it so hopefully it can be resolved.

Can't find any record of the alternative email account either even though I'm certain I set my core account as the recovery. Feeling pretty stupid.

That's a bummer :(

Easy happen though.

Hope you find the email account. Probably there somewhere on a tablet or pc or something.

I have 6-7 accounts on the switch so emailed myself the email address and screen shot ages ago because I figured I'd forget one of the accounts or something.

Its easy enough when you have different accounts consoles, platforms, etc.

Hope you get sorted. They should be able to tell you what email was used.

Best of luck with it.

I have my accounts all tied to Gmail (variations of my main address with dots in different places).

The email subject line to look for is:

Nintendo Account: E-mail address verification

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Hi,
    Sorry to jump in, but I'm just wondering, for someone who is buying a new Switch outright for the first time, is there likely to be any sort of discount/sale on it between now and Christmas? Or am I as well off to just buy it now? It's 330 in Smyths or 375 with a game.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry to jump in, but I'm just wondering, for someone who is buying a new Switch outright for the first time, is there likely to be any sort of discount/sale on it between now and Christmas? Or am I as well off to just buy it now? It's 330 in Smyths or 375 with a game.
    Thanks.

If in no panic. Black Friday will likely be your best bet how much is a bit unknown.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks.

There will almost certainly be bundles on black Friday better than what's available now. Amazon is usually worth keeping an eye on.

A few weeks ago I got one with a game and €35 free eshop credit for €330.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Thanks lads. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll wait and see what's around for Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone got any opinion on the screen quality on the new switch compared to the original??

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinion on the screen quality on the new switch compared to the original??

Cant notice any difference tbh.

Yeah looks the same to these 45 year old eyes. Maybe because they are 45 year old eyes, though. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

That's a bummer :(

Did some deep thinking and took a wild guess aaaaaand got it right. All games back in action. Now back to what it was before but with an improved Switch with a new warranty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

manual_man wrote: »

It's noticeable brighter for me when you go into the eShop, play in the dark or use the white theme. The difference is negligible but I don't find the screen as good as the OG model. The battery difference is huge tho, cause the screen is brighter I didn't have it up that high but I was playing for around 4 hours & still had 40%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads does the new model just have a better battery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Lads does the new model just have a better battery?

It's not a better battery, it's a more efficient CPU (die shrink) which improves battery efficiency
    https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/64102/die-shrink

There is also a different screen although they say the differences are barely noticeable

Advertisement