Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Astral Chain

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Couldn't help but notice one of the first skins you unlock for the Legions is the exact same colour scheme as Evangelion Unit 01.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Couldn't help but notice one of the first skins you unlock for the Legions is the exact same colour scheme as Evangelion Unit 01.

As you play further into the game you will start seeing a lot more connections to Evangelion.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Xenji wrote: »
    As you play further into the game you will start seeing a lot more connections to Evangelion.

Yeah I had a feeling things were going to go that way, in fairness the premise bares a lot of similarities in many ways.

Really enjoying the game so far but it's a lot easier than I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The more I play this game, the more I love it! The gameplay is so good, from the action to the quieter detective parts. It kind of reminds me of the original Deus Ex in some ways. Not from a gameplay perspective, but the design of the world and the interactivity of the smaller open world sections where you can find multiple sub-quests in a small section of a city before being funneled into a more linear action section.

I'm on File 6 right now, but could happily keep playing for another 10 Files, its so well paced and varied. So glad I took a chance on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I'm on File 4.

Too much to play. I'm jumping between this, Fire Emblem, the SNES games and Creature in the Well.

I need to stop buying games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think I'm still on the first proper case. There's no where to save and I really want to play Mariokart but I can't till I solve the bastard. My kids were hitting me with "Daddy let me play!" so I skipped a pop-up and then I was fighting that ****ing shielded chimera for about 40 minutes having made a *tiny* dent (so I thought I was doing something right) before I realised I was supposed to cut the thread before I got stuck in. 40 ****ing minutes. Kicked his ass though for that 40 minutes :D

If I had a criticism it would be that - especially on Tabletop / handheld - you're faced with these behemoths that are surprisingly easy to beat up, but the prompt to rip their beating hearts out of their chests is really small and easy to miss. So rather than inspiring fear you just end up a little frustrated by them. This is on the 2nd difficulty level though where they don't punish your mistakes harshly, so it's my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've just finished the 2nd file and loving it. Spent a good bit of time in the training mode at the police station to get the hang of the different attack options. The boss fights are really enjoyable, loving the fighting mechanics.
    Played on both big screen and handheld. Looks gorgeous in both.
    Best game I've played this year so far.

I couldn't play it in handheld. Really enjoying it even though it's very very easy. The only time I've died is the rubbish platforming bits!

Think I'm on File 7, hopefully get it finished this week.

Banjo wrote: »
    I think I'm still on the first proper case. There's no where to save and I really want to play Mariokart but I can't till I solve the bastard.

It autosaves pretty regularly, so you can drop out and come back pretty close to there you left off. You can manually save on the PC in the police station, but while on a mission, it autosaves all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There's information I could have used at the weekend! And that I was probably given in a pop-up I skipped :D

• Advertisement

This may be common knowledge, but I just figured this out after about 15 hours in...

You can gyro aim when using the arrow legion! It makes the target practice minigame a lot easier!

Bloody hell, the difficulty spike on the last boss was a bit out of nowhere.

Bloody hell, the difficulty spike on the last boss was a bit out of nowhere.

Not quite that far yet (think I'm on file 9) but it's been a breeze so far, though a very enjoyable one. I'm not focused on 100% S rank which would be difficult, but haven't found myself stuck at all so far. Would be nice to have one challenge at the end! (as long as its not too punishing)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm finding it all quite random at the minute, but only in the earlier stages of the game, about an hour or so in.
    Battles seem chaotic and out of control, but then that is more about my lack of skill than anything!
    Quite like the over aesthetic, particularly the world beyond the red gates, it's not in Bayonetta territory, but then not much is!

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Not quite that far yet (think I'm on file 9) but it's been a breeze so far, though a very enjoyable one. I'm not focused on 100% S rank which would be difficult, but haven't found myself stuck at all so far. Would be nice to have one challenge at the end! (as long as its not too punishing)

I didn't see the death screen once in the whole game until that final boss. Didn't feel difficult in a good way either imo, they just give the boss so much health it's a race to try beat it before you run out of health items/batteries (this is assuming you're playing on pt standard, it's a breeze on casual). Found it a tedious slog more than a challenge tbh.

Game was very enjoyable overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I didn't see the death screen once in the whole game until that final boss. Didn't feel difficult in a good way either imo, they just give the boss so much health it's a race to try beat it before you run out of health items/batteries (this is assuming you're playing on pt standard, it's a breeze on casual). Found it a tedious slog more than a challenge tbh.

Game was very enjoyable overall though.

Just beat it there. Breezed through on casual as I don’t have time for hard games at the moment. Last boss would be a pain on harder difficulties I imagine. Overall, I enjoyed it. A bit slow at parts, but overall, story was decent and not the usual Platinum crazy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge just gave it a 9/10.
    Great review, equating it to Bayonetta and it's sequel.
    High praise indeed

Finally finished this today. Last boss was definitely tough, but didn't die as I had tons of batteries stored up. Played on Standard PT difficulty and never felt really challenged, but still massively enjoyed it. My overall evaluation was a C, so plenty of room for improvement!

Can see myself replaying it again in a few years. Hope it gets a sequel someday! Definitely as good if not better than Bayonetta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    High praise indeed

I think 6/10 is Edges high water mark score though?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think 6/10 is Edges high water mark score though?

Never let it go Retr0, cling to that hate, it'll warm you over the winter months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    High praise indeed

Also not that surprising though. They were absolutely orgasmic when it came to Bayonetta 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone play this lately ? How does it hold up ?

Advertisement