Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colleges start installation of gender neutral toilets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Because a tiny percentage will now feel more welcome, we'll yis ever fcuk off and get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Since the toilets in GMIT are becoming gender neutral. Will the changing facilities change as well? because they might make somebody fell uncomfortable.
    It(toilet) used be a great place to escape to on night out to have a chat about the opposite sex in a club/bar. It looks like this may not be the case in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Since the toilets in GMIT are becoming gender neutral. Will the changing facilities change as well? because they might make somebody fell uncomfortable.
    It(toilet) used be a great place to escape to on night out to have a chat about the opposite sex in a club/bar. It looks like this may not be the case in the future.

If only there were other places in pubs and clubs where you could chat........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

People who try chat up other people on the train are weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Samaris wrote: »
    Toilets to accommodate the general population are usually considered to be an important thing to have.

A general population that is male or female. There is no third sex and I don't understand the requirement for toilets to reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My work has unisex loos. Never been issues. What's the big deal, what are people so concerned about?

I've been on night out and the only place you could have a chat about the opposite sex was in the toilets without them following you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It's simple. Men can piss standing up, so it's cheaper and more efficient to install less cubicles and more urinals in a men's toilet than a women's toilet. It would be more expensive to provide everyone with a "sitty down" toilet. Some people are understandably not comfortable with women passing a row of men with their penises out so therefore the need for toilets separated by gender.

What I don't get is if you are biologically male and identify as female, go to the female toilet, or vice versa, why would you want to be segregated like Jews in Nazi Germany with your own yellow star in the form of a "gender neutral" bathroom? Surely you would want to be treated as the gender you identify as? I have no problem with trans women using the gents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've been on night out and the only place you could have a chat about the opposite sex was in the toilets without them following you.

So are you saying that a special place should be provided by venues so you can talk about lads? No wonder that there are queues outside the toilet if they are being used for gossip intead of urinating.
    People who try chat up other people on the train are weird.

But a train is not in a pub or club confused.png.
    Think you misread my post wink.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I am delighted to hear this because it annoys the kind of people who get annoyed by this kind of thing.

• Advertisement

So are you saying that a special place should be provided by venues so you can talk about lads? No wonder that there are queues outside the toilet if they are being used for gossip intead of urinating.

Men say a few words to one another and move on whilst having a piss. . Women tend to have a long chat whilst adjusting makeup and spend a lot longer.

RayM wrote: »
    I am delighted to hear this because it annoys the kind of people who get annoyed by this kind of thing.

It's social engineering Ray. As an oppressive privileged member of the patriarchy you don't have any right to an opinion on this matter.

Men say a few words to one another and move on whilst having a piss. . Women tend to have a long chat whilst adjusting makeup and spend a lot longer.

I remember back in the day of slow sets there would be a stampede for the ladies bathroom. My wife often said a cubicle could be occupied for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't know how true that is either tbh. From what I can see, only a small number of people who are transgender wanted the focus put on them like this. More people who are transgender have been using whatever bathroom they wanted without any hassle for decades, and it's only recently that there appears to be a campaign to give people something that nobody asked for so to speak, ie - far more people who aren't transgender are calling for these measures to "accommodate" people who are transgender, than people who are transgender themselves.

Anyone I know who is transgender aren't even aware of attention-seeking transtrender YouTube personalities like Denis Riley and Milo Stewart. They're an awful pain in the hole IMO that make people who are transgender look like special snowflakes, when the reality is that most of them aren't, and would rather not be the focus of so much virtue signalling attention.

It's also a solution for people like the OP. If there were no genderless toilets then trans people would be using the regular toilets and then people like the OP would be going nuts.

Serious question now.
    Does this mean GMIT will only have gender neutral toilets?
    Or will their still be male/female toilets with a gender neutral as well?
    If gender neutral toilets became the norm will urinals disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

people who are transgender have been using whatever bathroom they wanted without any hassle for decades

Really? Where is your evidence?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Serious question now.
    Does this mean GMIT will only have gender neutral toilets?

NO.

Did you not read the article at all? There will now be toilets for males, toilets for females and gender neutral toilets for anyone that wants to use them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

NO.

Did you not read the article at all? There will now be toilets for males, toilets for females and gender neutral toilets for anyone that wants to use them.

I gave a quick read and it said something about them putting new signage on doors which might have lead me to believe they were changing exciting toilets.
    I'm just think back to when I was in college and I couldn't see anybody particular men going into a special gender neutral bathroom. It would have lead to people being bullied in my experience. This would have being 2011 so it isn't ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So have they turned the disabled peopes toilets into the unisex/gender neutral toilets for non disabled people?

If so that is disgraceful.. are disabled people meant to put up with having to wait longer, for able bodied people to use their toilet?

If it's an additional separate toilet for any gender then fine..I couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

professore wrote: »
    It's social engineering Ray. As an oppressive privileged member of the patriarchy you don't have any right to an opinion on this matter.

Oh no!

crying-man.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

djPSB wrote: »
    http://connachttribune.ie/college-starts-installation-gender-neutral-toilets-090/

The country is going fully mad? Lucky to have any toilets back in the day. :(

Yeah mad altogether.

Why are you bothering yourself thinking about the toilet habits of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I gave a quick read and it said something about them putting new signage on doors which might have lead me to believe they were changing exciting toilets.
    I'm just think back to when I was in college and I couldn't see anybody particular men going into a special gender neutral bathroom. It would have lead to people being bullied in my experience. This would have being 2011 so it isn't ages ago.

What about the boring toilets? Any changes planned for those ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GMIT can barely afford to keep Castlebar open and have to let staff go to break even. Good thing they can afford the important things for a students education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

We live in a strange time where some places are calling for all men to attend sexual consent classes but at the same time these same institutions will willingly allow situations where women could potentially be placed in a vulnerable, confined space with an opportunistic sex offender.

There is a fairly good reason why there are separate toilets for men and women. I was in a pub last night which had a unisex toilet, this led to quite a few situations where 1. some guys were freaked out at the thought of being considered rude or potentially impinging on the privacy and discretion of women and 2. some women were visibly uncomfortable in sharing that space with men. I popped in just before I left and I recalled I was the only one in the room. I can't help but feel that it would have been terrifying for a woman to enter the room at that stage. I mean for all parties it's just not ideal to say the least. It's just another example of where political correctness is bringing danger into the mix where it's completely avoidable.

I know the idea of gender neutral is a different idea from unisex, but I just can't accept that we're just normalising this concept willy-nilly (excuse the expression) without a proper consideration as to the validity of gender fluidity, gender neutrality etc.

"You use the same toilet at home or in work".....well in the case where there is only one toilet that's fine, but by and large toilets are large rooms with multiple units. If the gender neutral toilet is just a single cubicle then no problem, fine, but otherwise it's a totally different thing.

But a train is not in a pub or club confused.png.
    Think you misread my post wink.png

Then you've been getting the wrong kind of trains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So going forward.

Do we need to have male toilets, female toilets and uni sex toilets?

Male toilets for the males.

Female toilets for the females.

And uni sex for those who are trans and don't feel comfortable using male or female?

djPSB wrote: »
    So going forward.

Do we need to have male toilets, female toilets and uni sex toilets?

Male toilets for the males.

Female toilets for the females.

And uni sex for those who are trans and don't feel comfortable using male or female?

I could actually see American campuses creating ethnic bathrooms for 'safe spaces'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I could actually see American campuses creating ethnic bathrooms for 'safe spaces'

Christ, don't be giving em ideas! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Grayson wrote: »
    It's also a solution for people like the OP. If there were no genderless toilets then trans people would be using the regular toilets and then people like the OP would be going nuts.

People who are transgender have been using regular toilets for as long as I've known them and they haven't bothered anyone, nor have they been bothered by anyone. I don't think people like the OP would be going nuts as they're hardly likely to even be aware of them as the number of people in society who are transgender is generally understood to be less than 2% (I'm not going to include the sheer number of YouTube fcukwits who are exaggerating the perception of people who are transgender and putting out "75 genders" crap).

Really? Where is your evidence?

My evidence is in the same post you chose to selectively quote from.

• Advertisement

Serious question tough. If a bunch of straight males or females approached that lady in GMIT and said that having people who were attracted to the same sex made them feel uncomfortable would she introduce a heterosexual and homosexual toilet!

Advertisement