Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a problem with how we treat the elderly in Ireland?

• 27-05-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

Over the bank holiday a couple in their 80's were brutally murdered in their homes in Ireland. When I saw it on skynews, I immediately thought 'please don't be in Ireland', and it was, well northern Ireland. This seems to be becoming more and more common lately? If its making international headlines, it must be pretty uncommon as well.
    These two other cases immediately sprung to my mind as well

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1101/828428-claremorris/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0217/504775-edenderry-tom-dooley/

It's just something Ive thought about more since hearing about this story, as it was something a poster pointed out in the 'homophobic attack on george thread' where he talked about other minorities such as the elderly who are treated badly in ireland but their problem isn't recognised by media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Yes definitely compared to places like Asia where the elderly are revered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Speaking as a 'elderly' person, I don't agree at all. As many, if not many more, younger people have been attacked and killed as older people. Compared to most countries, the older people of this country are treated very well.

As for referring to us as a minority group; that's just laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I suppose they're among the most vulnerable in society and would be at higher risk of mistreatment in different ways, no matter where they live.

Yes definitely compared to places like Asia where the elderly are revered.

Really. That's not my experience of many parts of the far east.

Or in this ...https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/18/jeremy-hunt-elderly-care-asia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Speaking as a 'elderly' person, I don't agree at all. As many, if not many more, younger people have been attacked and killed as older people. Compared to most countries, the older people of this country are treated very well.

As for referring to us as a minority group; that's just laughable.

Im not sure about the murder rates, but elderly people usually seem to be innocent in these murders, as in burglary gone wrong. Or people preying on them due to vulnerabiltiy. A young person murdered is often due to a fight with another person or drugs etc

• Advertisement

Really. That's not my experience of many parts of the far east.

Or in this ...https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/18/jeremy-hunt-elderly-care-asia

That's one person's opinion. What about the care of the elderly in nursing homes here? It's well documented that a lot of abuse takes place whereas Ireland is a much wealthier nation than some places in Asia. It can be argued that the welfare system here is really supportive of older people and pensions are very well provided for but the attitude towards elderly people who live alone are appalling. It's different for those with families helping them but what about people who struggle with loneliness? Even in rural areas a lot of the meals and wheels runs have been cut and there are no longer resources for some.

That's one person's opinion. What about the care of the elderly in nursing homes here? It's well documented that a lot of abuse takes place whereas Ireland is a much wealthier nation than some places in Asia. It can be argued that the welfare system here is really supportive of older people and pensions are very well provided for but the attitude towards elderly people who live alone are appalling. It's different for those with families helping them but what about people who struggle with loneliness? Even in rural areas a lot of the meals and wheels runs have been cut and there are no longer resources for some.

Look, I'm not going to argue. You are entitled to your opinion. But, I am an old person, with old siblings and old friends. I can only speak from that position of being a pensioner and having visited many many countries around the world. First hand experience, as they say.
    But take the negative line if you wish. I'm done.

Look, I'm not going to argue. You are entitled to your opinion. But, I am an old person, with old siblings and old friends. I can only speak from that position of being a pensioner and having visited many many countries around the world. First hand experience, as they say.
    But take the negative line if you wish. I'm done.

You're not indicative of most older people. You're well educated and are well travelled. Most people from that generation wouldn't have gone to college usually or had the ability to travel as widely. That's a compliment by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

That's one person's opinion. What about the care of the elderly in nursing homes here? It's well documented that a lot of abuse takes place.

Absolute garbage and an insult to those who work in nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Ireland has still got a great sense of community and people look out for each other, they do round my way here anyways, I'd wager its the same everywhere in the country, of course there are bad and dreadful incidents but that's the thing with life, there always will be. It can't, won't and will never be some incident free utopia. I'd wager the elderly, everybody in fact, is treated far better than what was the case on this island 200 years ago when hundreds of thousands of people were literally starving in ditches

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

dusty207 wrote: »
    Absolute garbage and an insult to those who work in nursing homes.

It doesn't involve all homes. There has been programmes and debates on this on national TV.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/elderly-patients-abused-in-nursing-home-scandal-26555875.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yep, my old man is 84 and an oul narky bollix, but I love him, I fix everything he says is wrong, because, he's me oul man, people forget that they are the generation that made us what we are

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

God be with the days when you could get a doctor or priest to sign an elderly parent into state care in a lunatic asylum and then take over the family farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'll treat them better when they take the plunge and break fivers instead of holding up the queue for three minutes.

Advertisement