Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

got mine. Guy in front of me in the queue was returning his 'cause one of the buttons on his left joycon wouldn't click. They sorted him out with a replacement out of a joycon set but it's not the kind of thing you want to see before you hand over your mula....

One of you! One of you!

It's been plugged in for about 5 minutes and is showing half battery? but the right joycon has insufficient charge to be detached? Weeeeeird..... OK, see you later, I'm off the Hyrule for as long as I can get away with before my boss gets back from lunch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Picked mine up there, lovely thing distracting from the shite weather.

A few more hours of work and I can take it home to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Picked up a neon one in Wexford town Gamestop, beautiful piece of hardware I must say. I had a grey one reserved in Argos but went for the neon instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    There were some reports about the left joy con disconnecting if too far from the console or obscured in some way

Damn you Jude, stay away from my Joycon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I'm very very impressed with how sleek and well made it is! I'm really glad I went with the Neon option as well! Now for some Zelda!

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I haven't plugged my dock or anything in yet, I'm charging the console from the wall plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Got Grey Switch, Bomberman and Mini Nes last night in Gamestop Wexford. Switch is a great console so much potential.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Got Grey Switch, Bomberman and Mini Nes last night in Gamestop Wexford. Switch is a great console so much potential.

Hi all,
    Is there a friend's code thread somewhere?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Wifi is ridiculous. I lost connection while downloading the update and struggle with 1 bar. Every other device I have has full signal.

My first stupid moment was trying to use left joycon stick and it didn't work so had to resort to right joycon. I thought it was a very odd setup that you couldn't use the left stick for menu navigation. Ashamed to say but it took a good 10 mins to realise left joycon was dead and needed a charge.

Question, how do you charge the joycons when using them to play and in tv mode. I need to buy another USB C cable don't I?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Wifi is ridiculous. I lost connection while downloading the update and struggle with 1 bar. Every other device I have has full signal.

My first stupid moment was trying to use left joycon stick and it didn't work so had to resort to right joycon. I thought it was a very odd setup that you couldn't use the left stick for menu navigation. Ashamed to say but it took a good 10 mins to realise left joycon was dead and needed a charge.

Question, how do you charge the joycons when using them to play and in tv mode. I need to buy another USB C cable don't I?

https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%20Switch/Games/62083/nintendo-switch-joy-con-charging-grip

• Advertisement

Haha ok won't be charging them while playing so. I assumed there was a port on the grip you get boxed with it.
    €35 to be wired into a socket/switch is poor value.

Haha ok won't be charging them while playing so. I assumed there was a port on the grip you get boxed with it.

According to this there is a port on it mate!?

(http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140436-do-you-need-the-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-or-joy-con-charging-grip)

Not on the grip you get boxed with the Switch. You have to buy the special 'charging' grip for €35 in order to have a charging port.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the charging grip has an internal battery which charges the joycons its not wired

remember the joycons have a 20 hour battery life so you shouldnt be running out of battery in a session

pro controller is 40 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yes it seems to be a not uncommon problem unfortunately.

Made a JP e-shop account to get the puyopuyo demo. Kinda want shovel knight, but 25 euro is quite dear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Supposedly you have to perform the available system update with the joycons attached and/or reboot the updated system with them attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the charging grip has an internal battery which charges the joycons its not wired

remember the joycons have a 20 hour battery life so you shouldnt be running out of battery in a session

pro controller is 40 hours

It doesn't have a battery. It has a USBc cable to usba cable that charges the joycons from usb.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It doesn't have a battery. It has a USBc cable to usba cable that charges the joycons from usb.

seriously? that's crap wait for a 3rd party one at a fraction of the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

First Friday night in a very, very long time I won't be sticking on the WiiU at some point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was in work yesterday afternoon on a sleepover shift and only really got to play a bit of Bomberman on the way in on the bus.

Really gorgeous piece of kit.

Started Zelda on the bus home and caught a few people having a look with a few audible, "that looks amazing" comments. ;)

Had to nearly stop myself from uttering a loud "hooooly shít" when you're introduced to the sprawling world of Hyrule first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Dunno if this has been posted before (out and about and mobile now so haven't time to check) but apparently you can earn Nintendo points on physical game purchases for the switch : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/you_can_earn_my_nintendo_gold_points_on_nintendo_switch_physical_retail_copies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Got mine, enjoying it and ploughing through Zelda, cracking game, cracking console, went into town on the Swords Express today to meet a friend for lunch and played it on the way in and the way back, good for about 3 hours from my experience with Zelda and mobile play which isn't bad at all. No problems with the Joycon in my front room so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been posted before (out and about and mobile now so haven't time to check) but apparently you can earn Nintendo points on physical game purchases for the switch : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/you_can_earn_my_nintendo_gold_points_on_nintendo_switch_physical_retail_copies

They really slashed the amount you get though. I know they need to entice people to buy on the eshop as they make much more money there, but the amount of coins for physical is a bit low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

They really slashed the amount you get though. I know they need to entice people to buy on the eshop as they make much more money there, but the amount of coins for physical is a bit low.
    Yep, and nothing for shelling out on the actual hardware either

deadl0ck wrote: »

i wonder if its a once off thing linked to the card serial or something

like what would happen if i got another zelda would i be able to claim more points?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

My weekend so far had been busy but punctuated with little pockets of Switch, all of which have been great.
    Console and accessories are so nicely designed and put together and just so much fun to mess around with, love Nintendos new Ui philosophy as in, not slow anymore and the menu sounds and speedy transitions are just class.
    Games ; not much Bomberman yet but had great craic with 12 Switch with the better half yesterday them finally, last night got some couch time alone with BotW. Notuch I can really say that hasn't been said about that game already.
    Awesome console, awesome game. Chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Picked one up this morning. It's a funky little console.

Advertisement