Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I honestly couldn't agree with that at all! I (generally) enjoy the Nintendo Directs, eshop precisely the pre-E3 ones they did the last couple of years. Really miss Iwata's personality in them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SNES on N3DS sounds nice. :)

If that list is genuine, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I love the nintendo directs, even the ones without much substance. I mean at the end of the day, it is a business, but Nintendo always manage to infuse their directs with much more personality and fun than Sony and MS do at say, E3.

Meanwhile...

CclDRA7WAAAU2CD.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't find the will to play through the WiiU Yoshi or Kirby titles, I just find them a little bit M'eh tbh....
    But I'm looking forward to the Direct, plus there's Pokken to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I was sceptical of the Directs and the E3 one when they announced it but they have been a fantastic way of getting their products across to customers/fans. There wouldn't be anywhere near as many live events as there would be Directs and then people would be even more angry at Nintendo for not releasing info than they already are. I find the 'events' a lot, lot colder than Directs.

The only event I miss really is Spaceworld although the last few years of it was a laboured premise and I think what eventually led to them doing the Directs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't find the will to play through the WiiU Yoshi or Kirby titles, I just find them a little bit M'eh tbh....
    But I'm looking forward to the Direct, plus there's Pokken to look forward to!

There's where we differ. Yoshi's Woolly World is brilliant, I too was skeptical. I haven't played Kirby and TRB, I have it right in front of me but all the videos look boring and it reviewed poorly. There's not a hole deep enough that I could throw Pokemon into. I can't stand the franchise, it's a joke to me. A James Earl Jones detective voiced game and the Pokken fighting game is, I'd better not say. That's why we have variety though I guess. (we need a peace symbol)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the parts of the Directs that I tune out for usually would be those tied to JRPGs and the like, such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Shin Megami, Pokémon. I just never got into those types of games.

I can't wait for the NX because honestly I haven't been blown away by Nintendo since the Gamecube. They're my only beacon in the video game business and if they fail with the NX, that I think it will be the end of them in the hardware business. They've done themselves irreparable damage with the Wii U, the Wii previously was highly profitable but damaging in the long term.

They've one last chance and parity in terms of power will not cut it. It's so sad to see because it's self inflicted. As soon as I seen the Wii U, I said it was f***ed. And unless Nintendo change their ways, which they haven't, learn their lessons as they say, it's so frustrating. It's history repeating over and over. I love them but genuinely, I've never seen a more obstinate company and conservative company. They need power and a USP. I'm tired so I apologise for the lack of clarity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sligeach wrote: »
    I can't wait for the NX because honestly I haven't been blown away by Nintendo since the Gamecube. They're my only beacon in the video game business and if they fail with the NX, that I think it will be the end of them in the hardware business. They've done themselves irreparable damage with the Wii U, the Wii previously was highly profitable but damaging in the long term.

They've one last chance and parity in terms of power will not cut it. It's so sad to see because it's self inflicted. As soon as I seen the Wii U, I said it was f***ed. And unless Nintendo change their ways, which they haven't, learn their lessons as they say, it's so frustrating. It's history repeating over and over. I love them but genuinely, I've never seen a more obstinate company and conservative company. They need power and a USP. I'm tired so I apologise for the lack of clarity.

Are you a major shareholder in Nintendo or something? :pac:

No need to get so worked up over their current state or what might or might not happen in the future, they're just a company that make great video games - and not the only one. Hopefully the NX will be a success so we get to see more of those games but if not then aren't we lucky we have Xbox/PS/PC to entertain us (if you enjoy playing video games then you can't limit yourself to one system imo). :)

I'll get more excited (or disappointed :P) when we actually see the device, it's features, it's price point. I'm secretly hoping for a Gamecube controller port on it so I can go back to using the greatest controller ever with it! :o

I dunno, I don't agree with his whole post, but it really does feel like, while MS and Sony are trying to unify things and be multimedia platforms, nintendo is the only ones left with a games console and being a bit eccentric and what not. Lot of personality in that company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nintendo are like most people's second favourite team of video games companies. They were great back in the 80s, went into decline in the 90s, had a couple of unexpected successes over the last decade or so, but in recent years, losing Suarez third-party support has hurt them badly, and Gerrard Mario simply wasn't able to carry them on his own any more.

Star Fox Zero is probably going to be the equivalent of a 2-2 draw with West Brom - a mediocre effort that we'll celebrate anyway.

I'm looking forward to NX season though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No need to get so worked up over their current state or what might or might not happen in the future, they're just a company that make great video games - and not the only one.

GET OUT!!!! Get out and don't come back, Laika!

I guess Led Zep were just some guys who made music.... Leonardo was just a ninja turtle who liked to draw smirking faces... Peter Higgs was just a dude who took his love of Angry Birds too far...

What are peoples predictions? I predict disappointment. Sorry. I can't remember the last truely exciting Direct. I'm only interested in Wii U news. Anyway, here are mine:

- Nothing about NX
    - Nothing about Zelda U
    - Talk about TP: HD
    - Talk about Star Fox Zero. Arwing amiibo Star Fox Zero bundle along with separate Peppy and Slippy amiibo
    - Possibly talk about Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE and please change it's God awful name to something fathomable, memorable and pronounceable
    - Talk about My Nintendo
    - Sadly talk about Pokken Tournament(Zzzzz)
    - And disappointingly only 1 new game announced, fingers crossed it's not shovelware
    - Mother 3 available on the Wii U eShop immediately after the Direct
    - Maybe some DLC for Super Mario Maker
    - A mountain of new SCamiibo

There, done and dusted.

Edit: I forgot Mario & Sonic at the Rio.......forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's Nintendo's last chance for a console. Get the next console wrong and they will go the way of Sega and licence their IP to someone like Sony.

Not a chance of that happening. They could have a console or two flop yet before they'd have to roll over, and they've said many times that they'd close the doors before going third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Star Lord wrote: »
    Not a chance of that happening. They could have a console or two flop yet before they'd have to roll over, and they've said many times that they'd close the doors before going third party.
    They won't keep losing money and say let's lose more and do another console.

Getting a new console to penetrate the market is such a difficult task. The PS4 has sold almost 36 million units. If Nintendo licence their IP to Sony they will make unimaginable profit.

Nintendo have already licensed their IP to app stores for mobile and will have 5 games released by 2017. I'd say once they see the profits from this course of action they'll scrap console hardware production and go software only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Todays ninty direct predictions:

The new nintendo social network
    Twilight princess
    Starfox mentioned
    Unannounced wii u game revealed
    3ds game price reductions

Hopefully its longer then the pokemon direct, it was good but waaaayy to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd be fearful for Nintendo too if the NX fails as bad or close to the Wii U.

Has a company ever produced two commercially failed consoles and went on to make a third?

Has a company ever produced two commercially failed consoles and went on to make a third?

Sega did, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast. Also, ask Sony if they're planning on releasing another handheld. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Wii did absolutely massive numbers though, which of course led to their overconfidence with the whole Wii U branding debacle, but it certainly made the hit of the Wii U sales a good bit softer. We're at 1 commercially failed console now, let's wait a small while before thinking about a third :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What time is today's direct?

Some people are obsessed with Nintendo going third party. Nintendo are not Sega, they are much smarter (despite evidence to the contrary) , it's not going to happen.

Sony and MS have mobile stuff going on after all, and MS is unifying it's PC and Xbox platforms. Never hear the same amount of shtick about them guys.

It's 10PM.

sligeach wrote: »
    Sega did, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast. Also, ask Sony if they're planning on releasing another handheld. :D

The CD and 32X were accessories. I would only count the Saturn and Dreamcast.

The PSP sold well but the Vita didn't. But I stated console and not handhelds for my question.

Corholio wrote: »
    The Wii did absolutely massive numbers though, which of course led to their overconfidence with the whole Wii U branding debacle, but it certainly made the hit of the Wii U sales a good bit softer. We're at 1 commercially failed console now, let's wait a small while before thinking about a third :pac:

Well, we don't have to worry about a third failed console if the precedent is that two failed consoles and you're out.

Nintendo have a lot of pressure on them to deliver here. I hope they succeed.

ERG89 wrote: »
    What time is today's direct?

10 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Well, we don't have to worry about a third failed console if the precedent is that two failed consoles and you're out.

Nintendo have a lot of pressure on them to deliver here. I hope they succeed.

What precedent? Will a court rule Nintendo out of chances if a new console fails and order them out of business?

They can have as many failures as their shareholders and bank accounts allow.

Kirby's voice actor, Makiko Ohmoto has retweeted tonights Nintendo Direct leading to speculation that there may be a new Kirby game shown.

https://mobile.twitter.com/makiko_ohmoto

3DS would have to be the clear favourite but maybe Nintendo could try using The Rainbow Paintbrush clay assets in a more traditional platformer for Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, I would love if they announced a heap load of gamecube remakes to come over the next year to WiiU but I bet that idea is for whatever the NX is. Eternal Darkness remake packed in with new sequel for the NX at launch anyone?

I bet there will be a LOT of talk and clips about TPHD which is pointless as it's out tomorrow, people who want it, who are watching the direct, most likely have it preordered already.

Lots and lots of amiibo talk, are people bored of them yet? I know I am since last summer.

Lots of talk about all the rpg's coming out which I personally don't have time or really care for at all.

Release date for Star Fox with something amiibo packed in, prob free copy of downloadable SF64 with amiibo scan.

Nothing about zelda u of course. That'll be left for E3 I'm sure, surprise NX port, lol.

New unannounced WiiU and a new 3ds game.

Some news on Metroid FF, wonder how much that has changed since it was last shown in June. Been a while, and very quiet.

Some uninteresting information about the new universal Nintendo account.

Ugh, my hopes are very low for this direct.

Some news on Metroid FF, wonder how much that has changed since it was last shown in June. Been a while, and very quiet.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least a partial re-do on FF, given the backlash reaction. Not a total one, but some kind of slight strategy change on it perhaps.

• Advertisement

b24btF6

European Twitch stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendoeurope

1 hour to go people. Tick tock.
    bwB4nTm

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html

The Direct will be roughly 40 minutes long.

Advertisement