Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

crisco10 wrote: »
    Did an LSR before work this morning...But really struggled about what to have for breakfast! I usually just do short runs in the morning so just have breakfast after...

I didn't want to waste time eating porridge at 6am so just had a big dinner last night and a few crackers this morning before heading out.

Anybody got any better suggestions for a snack before a long early morning run?

How long of a run are we talking? Anything up to 2 hours I'm fine without any major breakfast, personally I wouldn't eat for 2 hours before running anyway. Maybe a banana might be ok, but some people have a bad reaction running straight after any food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

adrian522 wrote: »
    How long of a run are we talking? Anything up to 2 hours I'm fine without any major breakfast, personally I wouldn't eat for 2 hours before running anyway. Maybe a banana might be ok, but some people have a bad reaction running straight after any food.

Usually more than 1hr 45, less than 2.5hrs.

It could be in my head but I just feel that it being 12 hours since my last meal, it's a long run to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

crisco10 wrote: »
    Did an LSR before work this morning...But really struggled about what to have for breakfast! I usually just do short runs in the morning so just have breakfast after...

I didn't want to waste time eating porridge at 6am so just had a big dinner last night and a few crackers this morning before heading out.

Anybody got any better suggestions for a snack before a long early morning run?

Personally I have a small portion of yoghurt and muesli about half an hour before an early morning long run. On an empty stomach it digests quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A high protein snack just before bed is one option that I have utilized previously fairly effectively recently when I had a short turnover between night run and and early morning LSR.

Like yourself not a huge fan of an LSR on empty but found a protein shake just before bed and something very light that digests easy (dna's suggestion is ideal) in morning can work wonders.

Cottage cheese is also an option as its protein is slow release which is ideal during fasting period in sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ecoli wrote: »
    A high protein snack just before bed is one option that I have utilized previously fairly effectively recently when I had a short turnover between night run and and early morning LSR.

Like yourself not a huge fan of an LSR on empty but found a protein shake just before bed and something very light in morning that digests easy (dna's suggestion is ideal) can work wonders.

Cottage cheese is also an option as its protein is slow release which is ideal during fasting period in sleep

that's very interesting. Would never have considered eating something just before bed. Does cheese not give you nightmares:pac:
    Must try that as I can't eat just before running early (have to leave 2 hours from when I eat to when I run as I get stitches)
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    that's very interesting. Would never have considered eating something just before bed. Does cheese not give you nightmares:pac:
    Must try that as I can't eat just before running early (have to leave 2 hours from when I eat to when I run as I get stitches)
    Thanks!

I used to think I needed 2 hours also but found out (by trial and error) that it is much less first thing in the morning.

dna_leri wrote: »
    I used to think I needed 2 hours also but found out (by trial and error) that it is much less first thing in the morning.

Must try it so. I'll blame you if it's a disaster:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dracman

Hi folks. I had started running about 2 years ago and really started to get into it. I have had an ongoing problem with my back for years which was lower back pain which came on every once in a while. Its due to not having strong lower spine vertebrae which were damaged over years of not taking care of myself. The problem got bad last September/November (2013) and I was told the running impact on concrete was doing the damage and I had to stop. The thing is (and as you all will agree), running is addictive and Im addicted and I am cracking up not being able to get out. Can any of you with the same problem or just knowledge please advise how I can ease myself back into it and even try different techneiques or types of ground etc. Id really appreciate help with this and as much advice as I can possibly receive. Even if I can get out once a week very slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

A friend of mine (cough cough) is looking for a bit of coaching. He feels he has somewhat stagnated in recent months and feels he could benefit from someone with a bit of know how. Can this be done long distance or does it have to be done face to face or a mix of both. He is more than willing to pay the coach for his/her time. Has anyone here availed of/provide such a service or can anyone recommend a course of action...thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

A friend of mine (cough cough) is looking for a bit of coaching. He feels he has somewhat stagnated in recent months and feels he could benefit from someone with a bit of know how. Can this be done long distance or does it have to be done face to face or a mix of both. He is more than willing to pay the coach for his/her time. Has anyone here availed of/provide such a service or can anyone recommend a course of action...thanks in advance

I have been coached by long distance and locally. Both can work very well. I have helped a few on this forum also for different lengths of time. There are a lot of people out there that will do this for free and their love of the sport but all the ask is a good effort from the person training. Regarding going down the paying route I know of two high profile athletes in Ireland that offer such coaching and some on this forum are coached by them and have got great results. I do think if someone is willing to spend money then they are serious about it. However nothing worse than wasting your time giving advise for someone to ignor it all. I do think people need some sort of direction and coaching can help. It all matters to what level you want to go for. A club structure may be enough or maybe you want more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

rom wrote: »
    What is the perfect pre session meal. I have a session tonight at 6. I eat my lunch at 1. Prob just have a banana around 5. Any suggestions?

My favourite meal before any run is a big bowl of nothing :) My sessions are also at 6pm after work and my last meal similarly would be 1pm, I find I always have plenty of energy to put into my sessions and finish feeling pretty good usually.

The idea is that backloading your carbs straight after the session/run is essentially what fuels you for the next one, that glycogen is soaked up immediately by the muscles and stored until you're ready to tear it up again. This approach however is more suited to those who are fat adapted/adapting, the idea is that you're not using up that glycogen during the day because you're in fat burning mode.

I've been taking the approach of fat adaptation for a while now and I feel it's really starting to pay off, I'm training and racing well at the moment and energy levels are really good, I don't crave shi!te (as much) but as always this approach may not work for everyone, it does take time and a little persistence though. Throughout the day I'm primarily burning fat because I eat fat, breakfast is typically eggs/rashers/salmon/veg and lunch would be large salad and meat, might snack on nuts or a yoghurt in between if hungry. It's not a military approach, I don't have a list of banned foods, I still have the odd treat or an ale in the evenings and I think I've finally found a good balance that works and I'm happy with, isn't that the main thing?

In terms of my post session backload, I usually make a smoothie of banana, milk, whey protein, frozen berries, peanut butter and honey and bring it down to the track. After the session I horse it down and then maybe 1.5 - 2 hours later I'll have another portion of carbs (sweet potato, rice) with my main meal of meat/veg/salad. That's me ready for my next run, and that's all the carbs I need.

I used to think the fat adaption approach was ultimately for marathon/ultra distance running but with the correct timing it can be equally as effective from 5k up to half marathon. I ran half marathon recently, aiming to hold 6 minute miles and typically I'd have had a bowl of porridge and a banana before it, mainly out of panic and doubt about my fuelling ability. This time I had a small natural yoghurt about an hour before and was pleasantly surprised to see that I held the 6 min pace for the whole thing and finished strongly. I'm convinced now I've found a strategy that works for me and there's no reason why it can't work for anyone else, especially if you love eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Sorry ROM, longer than expected and went slightly off course but anyway for anyone interested in learning more about this I would recommend reading up on Barry Murray's (Irish ultra runner) articles and blog, here. I first heard about this approach when I went to a talk of his and he really knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Dracman wrote: »
    Hi folks. I had started running about 2 years ago and really started to get into it. I have had an ongoing problem with my back for years which was lower back pain which came on every once in a while. Its due to not having strong lower spine vertebrae which were damaged over years of not taking care of myself. The problem got bad last September/November (2013) and I was told the running impact on concrete was doing the damage and I had to stop. The thing is (and as you all will agree), running is addictive and Im addicted and I am cracking up not being able to get out. Can any of you with the same problem or just knowledge please advise how I can ease myself back into it and even try different techneiques or types of ground etc. Id really appreciate help with this and as much advice as I can possibly receive. Even if I can get out once a week very slowly.

I was in the same boat as yourself. A good few episodes of bad back spasm. A scan showed a lot of wear and tear on the lower back. Had finished with a long hurling career and needed to do something. So took up the running and have to say the back problems have not been nearly as bad. Maybe it's coincidence but I had to stop running because of a groin injury last year and the back flared up again after a couple of weeks. Lately I've been doing most of the running on the road but have used the track by the Barrow river at times also as it's very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Does anybody know where I can get a pair of girls' spikes - size 1 MD/LD type? Although I'm totally against the idea, the eldest daughter is running in the Community Games 600m and needs some spikes. I've been looking all over the net and no joy - but then I'm not too good at this sort of thing. I normally get my stuff from Start Fitness but they don't do princess spikes in size 1. Any help would be much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Stazza wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can get a pair of girls' spikes - size 1 MD/LD type? Although I'm totally against the idea, the eldest daughter is running in the Community Games 600m and needs some spikes. I've been looking all over the net and no joy - but then I'm not too good at this sort of thing. I normally get my stuff from Start Fitness but they don't do princess spikes in size 1. Any help would be much appreciated...

You should double check that spikes are allowed - I was there with a group two years ago and one of the kids wasn't allowed to wear spikes (although this might have been in a young age group approx. U10/11 ??).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

kit3 wrote: »
    You should double check that spikes are allowed - I was there with a group two years ago and one of the kids wasn't allowed to wear spikes (although this might have been in a young age group approx. U10/11 ??).

Thanks for that - she's 11. I'll try and find out. I've managed to track down a pair from Buckley Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Stazza wrote: »
    Thanks for that - she's 11. I'll try and find out. I've managed to track down a pair from Buckley Sports.

Just googled it there. Spikes only allowed U14, 15 & 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭carter10

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as yourself. A good few episodes of bad back spasm. A scan showed a lot of wear and tear on the lower back. Had finished with a long hurling career and needed to do something. So took up the running and have to say the back problems have not been nearly as bad. Maybe it's coincidence but I had to stop running because of a groin injury last year and the back flared up again after a couple of weeks. Lately I've been doing most of the running on the road but have used the track by the Barrow river at times also as it's very close.

I was also in the same boat. Lower back pain for years until I took up the running. The running has made a big difference to the back, its much better now and i rarely have spasms/stiffness. Maybe try and run at your local GAA club or Horse racing track if there's one nearby. Its better than no run.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

rom wrote: »
    I have been coached by long distance and locally. Both can work very well. I have helped a few on this forum also for different lengths of time. There are a lot of people out there that will do this for free and their love of the sport but all the ask is a good effort from the person training. Regarding going down the paying route I know of two high profile athletes in Ireland that offer such coaching and some on this forum are coached by them and have got great results. I do think if someone is willing to spend money then they are serious about it. However nothing worse than wasting your time giving advise for someone to ignor it all. I do think people need some sort of direction and coaching can help. It all matters to what level you want to go for. A club structure may be enough or maybe you want more.

Thanks for the response rom. My long term goal is a sub 3hr marathon in sometime during 2016. My problem is I just don't know how to go about it. I'm determind to do it right. I have a vague plan to build a base for the rest of the year via a trainning plan for the longford marathon, and then work on the shorter stuff but I have no idea if this is the right approach for my long term goal. If you fancy a project or can recommend someone please pm me, thanks, Barry.

Thanks for the response rom. My long term goal is a sub 3hr marathon in sometime during 2016. My problem is I just don't know how to go about it. I'm determind to do it right. I have a vague plan to build a base for the rest of the year via a trainning plan for the longford marathon, and then work on the shorter stuff but I have no idea if this is the right approach for my long term goal. If you fancy a project or can recommend someone please pm me, thanks, Barry.

Much more people are qualified than me as I am only a beginner. If you don't get a reply in a week or two, pm me and I'll give you a names

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

kit3 wrote: »
    Just googled it there. Spikes only allowed U14, 15 & 16.

Some of the younger kids running in community games that have spikes usually remove the pins/spikes and use them that way as they are far lighter than runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Dracman wrote: »

First thought might be a bit too simple but have you considered doing most of your running off-road?

You might want to look at your running technique too. There are various courses around the country. The best online resource that I'm aware of is kinetic rev run by a guy called James Dunne. kineticrev.com IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dracman

Clearlier wrote: »
    First thought might be a bit too simple but have you considered doing most of your running off-road?

You might want to look at your running technique too. There are various courses around the country. The best online resource that I'm aware of is kinetic rev run by a guy called James Dunne. kineticrev.com IIRC.
    Bahanaman wrote: »
    carter10 wrote: »
    I was also in the same boat. Lower back pain for years until I took up the running. The running has made a big difference to the back, its much better now and i rarely have spasms/stiffness. Maybe try and run at your local GAA club or Horse racing track if there's one nearby. Its better than no run.:(

Thanks for the response lads. I have the beach near me so was thinking of maybe trying it out, and a great football grounds near. Im actually afraid of damaging it again, so I was afraid to try a differnet surface. I think ill start slowly and work my way up and see what surface is easier. But yea, def cant not run anymore :(
    Clearlier, Ill have a look at that site. Ive been thinking myself if my technique was wrong and maybe try to adjust myself but havent a clue where I was going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Does anyone know if there's somewhere one can donate or recycle old running shoes? I'm talking worn-out from a running pov, but still perfectly serviceable as footwear. It seems a pity just to throw them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

davedanon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's somewhere one can donate or recycle old running shoes? I'm talking worn-out from a running pov, but still perfectly serviceable as footwear. It seems a pity just to throw them in the bin.

Dave, I know those who work with charities, immigrant groups always accept them. Especially, as you say, they're worn out for 'us' but fine for a lad to put on his feet.

Where are you based. There will be one in Cork in the lead up to xmass where you can donate. I think AWK did one in their shop also xmass 12 months ago. Might be time to do another one.

I'm in Dublin.

I'm in Dublin.

Congratulations !

Anyone ever do sessions on a beach (very compact sand) and is it a good or a bad idea?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Congratulations !

Heh. It probably reads like a total non sequitur; I haven't gotten the hang of this quoting thing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone ever do sessions on a beach (very compact sand) and is it a good or a bad idea?

I did on a couple of occasions but stopped when I read an article that running on sand could hurt your Achilles, which happens to be the weakest part of my legs, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Note: That's not the article in question but the first that came up on google and it does mention the same point: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/ground-forces

Advertisement