Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick Shoe reccomendation

• 07-09-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,

Long time since I've been in these parts. I'm a late attemptee for this years DCM. Had a number all along but been injured etc. Anyhow. I'm in a race to bank the mileage and working away as best I can. Last Marathon was 5yrs ago and I ran in Brooks ST racers. They are updated nowadays as Brooks Asteria I believe? But it seems these are not stocked in shops here. I kind of need new runners asap so waiting over a week for ordering stresses me out :).
    I'm a neutral runner. Weigh about 64Kgs. IS there any other shoe out there that would work for me?
    Many thanks in advance. Hope y'all are well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi All,

Long time since I've been in these parts. I'm a late attemptee for this years DCM. Had a number all along but been injured etc. Anyhow. I'm in a race to bank the mileage and working away as best I can. Last Marathon was 5yrs ago and I ran in Brooks ST racers. They are updated nowadays as Brooks Asteria I believe? But it seems these are not stocked in shops here. I kind of need new runners asap so waiting over a week for ordering stresses me out :).
    I'm a neutral runner. Weigh about 64Kgs. IS there any other shoe out there that would work for me?

I ran a few marathons in the ST5, I would suggest an equivelent shoe would be the Adi Boston, I haven't tried the 8, but it has mainly favourable reviews, it's regarded as a classic now.
    A few left of field options would be the Reebok Run Fast and Skechers Razor 3, both are lighter but with similar drops. Reeboks were on discount last week on their site at €77, Skechers have dropped only a few sizes of the Razors on their European sites, at €122.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Hi All,

The Brooks asteria are stocked in the run hub in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi All,

Nike vaporfly 4%..... that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

The Brooks asteria are stocked in the run hub in Dublin.

Yes I think you're right. I forgot to mention the bit that I am a size 7 :o And when I selected for that size it wasn't an option for me. Many thanks. :)

Ceepo wrote: »
    Nike vaporfly 4%..... that's all

I just saw the price :eek:
    Many thanks Ceepo.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I ran a few marathons in the ST5, I would suggest an equivelent shoe would be the Adi Boston, I haven't tried the 8, but it has mainly favourable reviews, it's regarded as a classic now.
    A few left of field options would be the Reebok Run Fast and Skechers Razor 3, both are lighter but with similar drops. Reeboks were on discount last week on their site at €77, Skechers have dropped only a few sizes of the Razors on their European sites, at €122.

Thank you BeepBeep. I've had 2 pairs of Adizero's for the shorter stuff up to half distance. Find the toe area quite tight. Will slip on a Boston and see if any difference. Thank you for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thank you BeepBeep. I've had 2 pairs of Adizero's for the shorter stuff up to half distance. Find the toe area quite tight. Will slip on a Boston and see if any difference. Thank you for info.

I like the Bostons but yes, Adidas tend to be quite narrow. I have to play with the laces a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi All,

Asteria is Brooks support racing shoe. The Hyperion is the neutral shoe. Personally I wouldnt use either for the marathon distance, just not enough cushion or support. You might have a look at the Brooks Ravenna 10. It is aimed at the neutral runner but has "a touch" of support.

Many thanks Ceepo.

Ok so there're a bit on the dear side (read a lot).
    But 4% more efficient sure its worth a few bob extra..

You could also try zoom fly knit...

They just want you to run faster 😉😉

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Anyone wear the Pegasus 35 Turbo?
    Not in shops anymore so can't try on but have ran in the normal Pegasus before but not tried the Turbo and the Turbo 2 is a bit expensive, can get the Turbo 1 for a lot less on the Nike Website.
    Want to buy a pair for DCM, was using the Brooks Ghost 11 for long runs but wouldn't buy another pair as they always started hurting after 15 miles or so.

• Advertisement

So it's a win for Saucony Kinvara 10's. Enough cushion for the miles. But a nice real feel underneath. Adizeros were the wrong shoe for me according to the expert. I seem to land flat and move to the ball quickly. So I wasn't getting any of the tech benefit from them. Tried Brooks Ghost but they felt too cushioned for my lil paws. Hopefully I can break them in real quick and have a good DCM. Cheers again all. Stay well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Many thanks Ceepo.

Nike Zoom fly 3 is a more affordable alternative. Still €150 mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I got my Nike vaporfly 4% for €125
    per foot :o

sideswipe wrote: »
    I got my Nike vaporfly 4% for €125
    per foot :o

Theres no point in telling us half a story.
    You need to tell us where :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

ewc78 wrote: »
    Anyone wear the Pegasus 35 Turbo?
    Not in shops anymore so can't try on but have ran in the normal Pegasus before but not tried the Turbo and the Turbo 2 is a bit expensive, can get the Turbo 1 for a lot less on the Nike Website.
    Want to buy a pair for DCM, was using the Brooks Ghost 11 for long runs but wouldn't buy another pair as they always started hurting after 15 miles or so.

I got them recently. I've been try to break in Brooks Ghost 11 all Summer but they're still uncomfortable when i go over 60-70 minutes :mad: Anyhow I got the Pegs 35 Turbo about 2 weeks ago, only 15 miles on them so far but i'm very very happy with them, they were comfortable out of the box. I haven't worn the normal Pegs so can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Theres no point in telling us half a story.
    You need to tell us where :)

HERE you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If anyone wants a pair to race 5-10k, the Saucony A8 are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ok so there're a bit on the dear side (read a lot).
    But 4% more efficient sure its worth a few bob extra..

You could also try zoom fly knit...

They just want you to run faster ����

Yeah I can vouch for that. I bought them a few months ago and smashing it time wish without even noticing it physically.

Actually going to fast and stopped using them on training runs. Just keeping them for events...

I found the OnCloudFlow great

Advertisement