Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your job when you are aged 70

Options
  • 17-03-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭

Great topic for a bank holiday :)

The job you do now could you do it at 70, for me, I don't know it would be hard though. I won't have to work until I am 70.

There are some jobs that would be almost impossible to do at 70 and some you could do at 70.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My last job no chance, physically demanding, mentally demanding, a few fûcks too many just treading water... and politics galore, so nope. An office type job which although can be demanding in itself maybe if factors aligned such as you in pristine health, pro active but fair management, colleagues of a similar level of ability and eager to pull their weight then yeah. It ALL depends on these factors aligning. They don’t often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ll be a librarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I’ll be a librarian.

Or an estate agent or accountant or solicitor, but you have to take the safety aspect into account are we as competent at 70.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Or an estate agent or accountant or solicitor, but you have to take the safety aspect into account are we as competent at 70.

I don’t think a librarian is as complex as those jobs or indeed my job now. Loaning out books I can do.

Also there’s the Pope, the Queen and the American Supreme Court. And probably lots more. People can do complex jobs when old, but generally aren’t expected to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Currently at home with the smallies. Don't think I'll be still at this when I'm 70 somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I don't think I'll sleep tonight now worried I'll still be at the same job when I'm 70!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I don’t think a librarian is as complex as those jobs or indeed my job now. Loaning out books I can do.

Going up ladders with books, dewey decimal system... sounds fierce intensive and dangerous stuff. :p

Going up ladders with books, dewey decimal system... sounds fierce intensive and dangerous stuff. :p

I’ll be customer facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

When I’m 70 And retired I will get up out of bed at say 1pm, and go to the pub for most of the day. That’s all I want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's an office-based job so I think I could do it but I wouldn't want to be still working at that age.

Advertisement