Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Boards.ie complicit?

• 16-03-2019 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Some of us have been here for over a decade under various usernames. Personally I was here for the Phantom fm sub forum, some were here for Quake or whatever.

Now it's full of reregs and extremists. It's a done duck as far as I can see. Full of people on the wind up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Boards is a business. When you're chasing clicks then it's good to have clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is Boards.ie complicit

You mean like the Nazis? There I've done it - I've Godwined the thread :pac:

I'll get my coat ....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

very merry terry
    i'm due a re reg anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

gozunda wrote: »
    You mean like the Nazis? There I've done it - I've Godwined the thread :pac:

I'll get my coat ....

Wibbs will be along in a minute for a long winded lecture about how his culture is superior to others and everyone will seal clap along like little *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Wibbs will be along in a minute for a long winded lecture about how his culture is superior to others and everyone will seal seal clap along like little *****.

I dont see the link but erm no ....

I think this is just a general moan thread no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Complicit in what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You must be a rereg yourself.
    Nov 2018?

Boards is what you make it.

Wibbs will be along in a minute for a long winded lecture about how his culture is superior to others and everyone will seal clap along like little *****.
    I like Wibbs. Even though I often disagree with him.

I also like people who've stuck it out under the same username for many years, there's something sincere about that, dont you think ?

I've had various usernames over the years (Later11, Later12--wild imagination, I have), and I reckon most users here have actually been here for a long time, but also decided to take a break from the site for whatever reason.

I reckon it was a mistake to allow users to delete their profiles, although it was probably implemented for Data Protection reasons - and so, the site probably had no choice. It's led to users being somewhat transient, and usernames being somewhat disposable, which has certainly diminished the overall quality of discourse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Some of us have been here for over a decade under various usernames. Personally I was here for the Phantom fm sub forum, some were here for Quake or whatever.

Now it's full of reregs and extremists. It's a done duck as far as I can see. Full of people on the wind up.

I heard you're an EXTREME re-reger.
    Would that be true!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

WHY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a done duck as far as I can see.

Then leave. Plenty of other places to go that might suit you better.

The irony of calling out re-regs is startling when the rest of your post is taken into account. Also, did you just create this thread to have a go at Wibbs? Seems you couldn't wait to name drop him. In a thread complaining about "extremists", you pick out a very reasonable poster. It's all a bit sad and bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

who types anymore? Forums? Whut? Is it 1999 or somethin?

Wibbs is my spirit animal. If I didn't know better, I'd assume he's my sober self posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I also like people who've stuck it out under the same username for many years, there's something sincere about that, dont you think ?

I've had various usernames over the years (Later11, Later12--wild imagination, I have), and I reckon most users here have actually been here for a long time, but also decided to take a break from the site for whatever reason.

I reckon it was a mistake to allow users to delete their profiles, although it was probably implemented for Data Protection reasons - and so, the site probably had no choice. It's led to users being somewhat transient, and usernames being somewhat disposable, which has certainly diminished the overall quality of discourse here.

You might be right.
    I heard you're an EXTREME re-reger.
    Would that be true!?

Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account

Anyway it's a troll fest these days and I'm out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account

giphy.gif

I am, see no need to change.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out though.

Not only do I just use this account, everyone knows it. My brother, girlfriend, and many friends can check in and see whatever scutter I happen to posting on a given day. If they don't like it, not my problem.

Edit: That's a lie. I have my Cato the Elder account.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I still have my Ads by Google and DeVore accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I knew it. I used to observe the Thunduerdome yrs back when you were posting under later10. They used to call you LT.

You were posting with some heavy hitters , Degsy, CD and those east Galway gobs Bantum, Serge and Crown.

As a fellow Tipp man I was always pulling for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No one is still on their first account

Except for all the people that are.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So obsessed with not offending anyone means the crazies can't be called out for what they are.

The level of dialogue is embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Complicit in what? People signing up to abuse someone?

When you spend all your energy arguing with someone over a load of nonsense and picking every word of their post apart you're letting everyone know you're easily riled. That's almost guaranteed to have someone sign up under a new name just to type abuse at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Standard Friday night moralising and quit. He’ll be back. Whoever he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

I suspect Wibbs is a national director of elections for a major political party and his posts are well crafted means of guaging support for certain stances amongst the electorate. If anybody wants to post Quimby polling the electorate meme please go ahead because i dont know how

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Giveaway wrote: »
    I suspect Wibbs is a national director of elections for a major political party and his posts are well crafted means of guaging support for certain stances amongst the electorate.

Finally, I'm appreciated for all the work I do...

nazi-parade-nazis-marching-intercut-shots-of-hitler-speeches-video-id594662331?s=640x640

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There feels like there's been a concerted effort on After Hours to spread an American style alt-right agenda by a seemingly constant stream of brand new accounts over the last year or so.

It's something I don't really ever see reflected in Irish society or even in other Irish online communities like Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You might be right.

I'm still on my first account. I was a lurker before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some of us have been here for over a decade under various usernames.

Now it's full of reregs
    I think you answered your own question

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There feels like there's been a concerted effort on After Hours to spread an American style alt-right agenda by a seemingly constant stream of brand new accounts over the last year or so.

It's something I don't really ever see reflected in Irish society or even in other Irish online communities like Reddit.
    Oh it's out there S, but I'd say Boards gets the more Yank style stuff* you describe because it's been long seen as a very left leaning "liberal" site, so that will attract dissenting voices and those dissenting voices will be pointed at as a "sign" the site is going one way or t'other. And there's evidence for that, just as there's evidence for the right wing stuff. Which over time suggests it's neither to any great degree. If I had to pin it down I'd say over the years it's broadly centrist with some scattered patches of left and right. I'd reckon as the demographics of the place age, those who pick a "side" tend to be pickled in it and less likely to sway from it as the ageing mind tends to lose plasticity and prefers the comfortable.

Other online communities are not so much forums anymore, so tend to reflect the views of the majority of whatever community it is and dissenting voices either don't get invited in, or get downvoted so are less likely to be read.

*American style is evident not just with the alt right types, the "liberal" type parrot it just as accurately. And irritatingly. IF anything they were at it first. The imported alt right stuff is more recent. Then again the rise of the right in public anyway is more recent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Strange thread.

Always wondered why people felt they were important enough to announce their account closure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

"Originally Posted by VeryTerry View Post

Anyway it's a troll fest these days and I'm out."

Still on my first account and still operating to a simple principle :
    I only view and contribute to something that I actually want to have an input into and I don't post anything I won't stand over.

It's too easy to wind people up these days and it's more interesting to actually make honest contributions to what are essentially debates written line by line. Boards has also been a great source of advice on some of my technical interests over the years, so if you actively avoid the troll subjects and contributors, you can still live a happy boards life.

Advertisement