Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fertility Shock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

We are an infection on the earth and are destroying it. Some believe having kids and a house is a right but this is so wrong it should be earned. Then people believe the state should provide a pension. Why? People argue without kids these pensions can't be paid for. What are these kids slaves for us to milk?
    Sorry for the rant but our system is SO WRONG and only leads to massive suffering.
    The world needs to be about sustainability of reasonable numbers and not growth. Growth cannot happen forever and I know this goes against everything our society stands for but it is wrong!
    Finally why should OAPs sit on their arses it destroys them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's considerate of you...

FU.jpg

It's your browser. The image is fine. It should resize automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

work wrote: »
    We are an infection on the earth and are destroying it. Some believe having kids and a house is a right but this is so wrong it should be earned. Then people believe the state should provide a pension. Why? People argue without kids these pensions can't be paid for. What are these kids slaves for us to milk?
    Sorry for the rant but our system is SO WRONG and only leads to massive suffering.
    The world needs to be about sustainability of reasonable numbers and not growth. Growth cannot happen forever and I know this goes against everything our society stands for but it is wrong!

Ireland was doing quite well on the issue of a sustainable population until we decided to import masses of other peoples.
    You are absolutely right growth cannot go on forever yet our country seems to have fallen into cult like behaviour with its need for endless growth.

Is that you Mr. Smith?

I guess they should live with their kids then or pay a decreasing number of young people to wipe their arses in their old age?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

professore wrote: »
    It's your browser. The image is fine. It should resize automatically

The image is not fine, it's 3000 pixels wide. Try posting a pic of that size in the Photography forum thread "RANDOM PHOTOS LV - NO COMMENTS IN THREAD - 800PIX LONGEST SIDE" and see what happens.

Not all browsers resize automatically and not everyone wants to use Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

If we can sort out the population size and image size crisis in this thread we'd be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Certain demographic is shooting out babies like crazy and don't intend to be part of contributing sociaty. Pretty sure those babies when grow up will do same thing. So we are sorted on birth rate, but not sure what future this birth rate will bring.
    Eventually those who work and keep the ball rolling won't be able to afford even one child.

Is that you Mr. Smith?

I guess they should live with their kids then or pay a decreasing number of young people to wipe their arses in their old age?

Ah the usual moron answers, what percentage of older people need young people to wipe their arses, its very condescendibg of you, I am sure most do fine on their own thank you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The image is not fine, it's 3000 pixels wide. Try posting a pic of that size in the Photography forum thread "RANDOM PHOTOS LV - NO COMMENTS IN THREAD - 800PIX LONGEST SIDE" and see what happens.

It sounds like you need to try out Conor McGregor's three day anger management course.

Well if boards have their image tags set up properly this shouldn't happen.

• Advertisement

Ah the usual moron answers, what percentage of older people need young people to wipe their arses, its very condescendibg of you, I am sure most do fine on their own thank you!

Most old people eventually need help with day to day functioning. Many need full time care for years. I have personal experience of this. There are some who are fit and healthy into their 80s but these are a small minority.

Those pension ads of people swanning off to Spain or whatever aren't the case for many. Strokes, diabetes, alzheimers, arthritis etc puts a cramp in your style fairly lively.

The science behind it is disputed, but on balance we probably do need to have less children.

There are parts of impoverished regions of the world which have less of an economic disincentive to have children. Sadly for them, an interim solution will probably be to encourage migration from poorer regions to Europe.

That will only plug the gap in our population pyramid for a limited amount of time, probably our lifetimes (for anyone 30 or younger).

There are too many variables to predict what will happen in 70 years time, or what the world will look like by then. For now, the solution to diminishing birth rates is increased migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

We are already well on the way to doing that. Problem is we are going to have a huge amount of old people and very few young people supporting them.

And this is why the endless growth model is totally unsustainable. At some point, some generation is going to have to face up to this, so it may as well be ours. The planet cannot sustain an indefinite expansion of human population.

The science behind it is disputed, but on balance we probably do need to have less children.

There are parts of impoverished regions of the world which have less of an economic disincentive to have children. Sadly for them, an interim solution will probably be to encourage migration from poorer regions to Europe.

That will only plug the gap in our population pyramid for a limited amount of time, probably our lifetimes (for anyone 30 or younger).

There are too many variables to predict what will happen in 70 years time, or what the world will look like by then. For now, the solution to diminishing birth rates is increased migration.

I'd agree with all of this, and would add that mass migration from very different warlike honour cultures might not be the best idea.

And this is why the endless growth model is totally unsustainable. At some point, some generation is going to have to face up to this, so it may as well be ours. The planet cannot sustain an indefinite expansion of human population.

I agree but we're not facing up to it. We are sleepwalking into it. In 50 years time there will be very few native Irish at this rate - maybe that's OK but we should think about it.

I'd agree with all of this, and would add that mass migration from very different warlike honour cultures might not be the best idea.
    "warlike honour culture"?

Are you talking about Arthurian chivalry? Please do elaborate.

Most old people eventually need help with day to day functioning. Many need full time care for years. I have personal experience of this. There are some who are fit and healthy into their 80s but these are a small minority.

Those pension ads of people swanning off to Spain or whatever aren't the case for many. Strokes, diabetes, alzheimers, arthritis etc puts a cramp in your style fairly lively.
    Sorry but what is your point? The majority of OAPs function fine on their own and toward the end of life need help. I don't get your point?

I agree but we're not facing up to it. We are sleepwalking into it. In 50 years time there will be very few native Irish at this rate - maybe that's OK but we should think about it.

That's merely trying to "solve" the problem of an age imbalance by importing a young population from elsewhere. The unpleasant reality is that the only sustainable solution to the mess we've created as a species is for some generation to decide to have fewer offspring - and to put up with the consequences of that regarding economic and personal support in old age for the greater good of humanity.

In order to solve the population growth problem, some generation will have to suffer through an adjustment which, as you've pointed out, involves not having enough young people to support the old in that particular generation. I'm a bit of a nihilist when it comes to this stuff so personally I'd gladly suffer a reduced quality of life in old age if it's happening for the purpose of dramatically reducing the human population (and thereby having fewer young people around to look after and economically support my generation in its old age as a side effect) - it's the age old saying that old men should plant trees they know they'll never sit under.

Bottom line is, everyone's quality of life will plunge if we continue to expand and never contract the global population of humans. The contraction will most certainly involve one or two generations getting f*cked over by an imbalance. As far as I'm concerned, it should be ours - simply because we have the option to act in a self-sacrificial way and I wouldn't trust future generations to do that. We're already fairly f*cked in a lot of ways as a generation, so maybe our ultimate contribution to humanity will be a dramatic levelling off of the reproduction rate, so that future generations can enjoy a planet which is less overpopulated.

By not doing this, we're just kicking the can down the road for future generations to solve. One day, the planet will run out of one vital resource or another because there are too many of us competing for it, and that will be unimaginably unpleasant for whoever's around to live through it. We can choose to head it off in advance, which will be unpleasant for us, but at least it's something we get to choose for a reason as opposed to having it forced upon us like some future generation will if we don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We are an infection on the earth and are destroying it.
    Ah the usual moron answers

Accurate description of your own post there really. What do you expect human civilisation should do? Regress to living in mud huts giving up all scientific, medical and technological advances we’ve made since the time when we lived in caves? Flintstones style?

Realistically, what do you imagine are the chances of that happening? What would be the point of passing on such a regressive philosophy to the next generation? We’re not destroying the earth, we’re adapting it to suit ourselves. The next generation will do the same thing, as generations of humanity have done long before you were ever even thought of.

Accurate description of your own post there really. What do you expect human civilisation should do? Regress to living in mud huts giving up all scientific, medical and technological advances we’ve made since the time when we lived in caves? Flintstones style?

Realistically, what do you imagine are the chances of that happening? What would be the point of passing on such a regressive philosophy to the next generation? We’re not destroying the earth, we’re adapting it to suit ourselves. The next generation will do the same thing, as generations of humanity have done long before you were ever even thought of.

How did you get from "we need to stop reproducing so much and allow the human population to massively decline" to "we should regress to the stone age"?

It's precisely so that future generations can continue to enjoy all of those incredible things we as a species have created, that we need to reduce the population going forward. None of them will matter much for quality of life if we reach a point in which there isn't enough space, food, water, etc to sustain a comfortable lifestyle for individuals, or when the environment has become too hostile to enjoy living in. All of these are problems which will arise in the event that we don't arrest the explosion in human population.

The simple maths of this is that the planet isn't getting any bigger, and therefore nor are the various fixed parameters in terms of what it can provide us with. In that scenario, an ever-increasing human population will eventually find itself having to divide those various pies into smaller and smaller pieces in order to survive. Food, water, land, fuel, raw materials, etc - the more these have to be divided up, the less each person gets. That should be obvious. I mean it's the same concept which leads to societies progressing from generally living in houses with private green space to generally living in high density apartment blocks - there stops being enough land for the former option to remain possible, and so the latter option is the only way forward.

Apply the same logic to resources such as food, water, electricity etc - which at the moment are not things we're capable of simply multiplying the way we're capable of multiplying our own population, without seriously f*cking up the environment in the process - and it becomes obvious why, over time, a higher human population must result in a reduced per capita quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

To be fair, there are many among human civilisation for whom a mud hut would be a considerable step up.

Probably the worst part of human civilisation that the meagre safety net of a mud hut is forcibly denied to citizens. Tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Rubbish. The sooner people let go of the myth of continued progress the better.

If we had a low population and there was enough for everyone then you might well have a point. As it happens we don't, and people with mudhuts or animals who sleep in the trees have a much better life than a lot of poor humans in urban areas today.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

warlike honour cultures

hahahahhahahahahahahahhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

We are already well on the way to doing that. Problem is we are going to have a huge amount of old people and very few young people supporting them.

It's about time we started eating Soylent Greens.

Sorry but what is your point? The majority of OAPs function fine on their own and toward the end of life need help. I don't get your point?

"Toward the end of life" is 5+ years in many cases. Who is going to pay for them and provide them with care of there are no young people?

Hobosan wrote: »
    To be fair, there are many among human civilisation for whom a mud hut would be a considerable step up.

Probably the worst part of human civilisation that the meagre safety net of a mud hut is forcibly denied to citizens. Tells you all you need to know.

This is a rapidly decreasing part of human civilization. There is far less abject poverty than there used to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

We can’t just keep blowing up the population just to support old people. I doubt I’ll have kids but I fancy my chances looking after myself when I’m old as much as I can anyway. If a generation has to endure hardship in order to reduce the population then so be it. We’ve got through rationing and world wars and the bubonic plague. A few 80 year olds dying earlier than they would have or not having their nappies changed isn’t the end of the world, uncontrolled population growth could very well be the end of the world it’s looking that way. Anyway we might have robots to look after our old people in 50 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would love to have a load of kids but financial realities of paying a mortgage and putting them through school and college mean that it probably won't even be more than two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

This is a rapidly decreasing part of human civilization. There is far less abject poverty than there used to be.

Just because there is a decrease in abject poverty doesn't mean that there is a total increase in wealth for everyone in the other direction. Our whole way of life is at the whim of the money markets, and nobody trusts it. The market doesn't even trust itself.
    The majority of people aren't living in mud huts but at the same time they are not living with any real degree of security for the future due to the chaotic nature of the money markets. There is no balance because there is no security. Everything is boiled down to greasy money, how much we are told there is, how much we are told there isn't, how much you need to have. It bleeds into everything and nobody trusts it, because you can't trust it, like all gambling it could fall on its ar$e at any moment.
    This is the system of "control" and its a totally chaotic and alien system for the family based system of community based humanity has more than less always involved itself in. A lot of People these days don't feel secure for themselves, never mind adding a few more people into their immediate circle and have to try to secure those people for the future either.
    Money and greed. Its a serious problem.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Feisar

buried wrote: »
    Just because there is a decrease in abject poverty doesn't mean that there is a total increase in wealth for everyone in the other direction. Our whole way of life is at the whim of the money markets, and nobody trusts it. The market doesn't even trust itself.
    The majority of people aren't living in mud huts but at the same time they are not living with any real degree of security for the future due to the chaotic nature of the money markets. There is no balance because there is no security. Everything is boiled down to greasy money, how much we are told there is, how much we are told there isn't, how much you need to have. It bleeds into everything and nobody trusts it, because you can't trust it, like all gambling it could fall on its ar$e at any moment.
    This is the system of "control" and its a totally chaotic and alien system for the family based system of community based humanity has more than less always involved itself in. A lot of People these days don't feel secure for themselves, never mind adding a few more people into their immediate circle and have to try to secure those people for the future either.
    Money and greed. Its a serious problem.

How do we get back to a resource based system though?

First they came for the socialists...

Advertisement