Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yet another mass shooting

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think we should implement a travel ban for Americans until we can figure out what the hell is going on. They clearly are violent and unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

imme wrote: »
    This is none of our business.

I don't know why these news reports get such coverage in Ireland.

The people of America have to deal with this problem, there is nothing Irish people can do about it.

There we have it, only follow stuff that happens in Ireland for now.

Wonder what the odds are on being caught in two mass shootings almost within 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

valoren wrote: »
    Sandy Hook was the event horizon for gun control in America.
    If the murders of 20 six and seven year old children didn't prompt collective action then there will never be collective action.

Mass shootings are simply a fact of life in the US now.
    +1

we simply need to look at them like a hurricane or earthquakes. Unfortunate and tragic but ultimately unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but how is being 30km away from a place in a completely different time a scary thought?
    I was in New York at the world trade centre last year, I could have died.

I guess knowing the place or having some association makes it feel a bit more real. Mad but strange. If it happened in Dublin there would be a lot more of those comments?

And that concludes this week's thread on the latest mass shooting in America. Funny, these threads used to rumble on forever, but I guess it's all been said now.
    See y'all next week on the next one, when people will say "tis terrible, so it is" and "why are we discussing other countries, don't ye know the world stops at the borders of Ireland" and my favourite "guns are not the problem".
    Take care now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

RasTa wrote: »

Wonder what the odds are on being caught in two mass shootings almost within 12 months.

I am interested in news from all over the world, the referendum in new Caledonia, wild fires in California, Mexico city's new airport, all sorts.

The USA has been having mass shootings since the 1960's, they just aren't going to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

RasTa wrote: »

There’s more to the world that the US. We get far too much coverage of it. For instance Mexico and many Central American countries are more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I've a holiday planned for the US next year and I have to say I'm regretting it, it seems like mass shootings are becoming so common, you never know where it will hit next, I know chances of being caught up in something are slim but it still makes you think. The gun culture is so ingrained in the thinking there, nothing is going to change that. If shooting up children in schools didn't change anything this certainly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thestones wrote: »
    I've a holiday planned for the US next year and I have to say I'm regretting it, it seems like mass shootings are becoming so common, you never know where it will hit next, I know chances of being caught up in something are slim but it still makes you think. The gun culture is so ingrained in the thinking there, nothing is going to change that. If shooting up children in schools didn't change anything this certainly won't.

Enjoy your holiday, you ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The mother of one of the victims has spoken out calling for gun-control. Saiid she doesnt want any more prayers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/1109/1009748-california-shooting/

Heartbreaking for the poor woman. Her son actually survived another shooting in Las Vegas last year, but wasnt so lucky this time.

When will the madness end ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

+1

we simply need to look at them like a hurricane or earthquakes. Unfortunate and tragic but ultimately unavoidable.

That is a totally shocking statement and out of all reality. Of course it is avoidable but folk saying as you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is so sad, but how retarded are people that don't keep guns in a safe.....

There have been cases where a small chiild has found a loaded gun in its mother's handbag and played with it, shooting a sibling.

If folk here are advocating everyone having a gun ready to fire?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

One of the very first things Trump did when he got into power was to revoke an Obama-era gun check for people with mental health issues

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

It almost seems too crazy to actually say this but, because Trump revoked this regulation, a person who is deemed mentally incapable of handling their own finances can still purchase a gun :eek:

That reversal had fairly bi-partisan support, including from normally anti-gun groups like ACLU and most mental health advocacy groups.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/disability-rights/gun-control-laws-should-be-fair
    https://waysandmeans.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/NCD.pdf
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-gun-mentally-ill-rule-1.4538963

The regulation was overly broad and misguided. If you have dyslexia, and mix up numbers, you may have difficulty filling out finances. That does not mean you are incapable of functioning in normal society, or should forfeit an ability for self defense.

However, like many firearms related issues, folks in Ireland generally only read the headlines, not the fine print.

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a totally shocking statement and out of all reality. Of course it is avoidable but folk saying as you did?

You've completely missed the point.
    Of COURSE mass shootings are avoidable. ALL major developed countries manage to avoid them with some common sense regulations regarding gun ownership.
    But the US don't want to change anything because owning a gun and carrying it around like a mobile phone is a sacred cow and must not to be touched.
    That's why the official answer to yet another mass shooting is now "oh dear, how terrible, anyways, what else is on the telly"
    It's like some sh*thole country (to borrow an American phrase) and they've been kicking the sh*t out of each other for years now and all you can do is shrug your shoulders and move on the next topic.
    At this stage they wanted it, they've made it happen, they got it, so now they can enjoy the sh*tshow.
    Having guns to them is worth a few dead children. They don't deserve help or sympathy.

Advertisement