Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I've an odd sort of question... How common was it, or why would a performer list his stage name on a census (also listing his family under the stage surname) when his travel documents listed his proper name ?

As a joke maybe? Or doesn't want to be 'tracked'?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I've an odd sort of question... How common was it, or why would a performer list his stage name on a census (also listing his family under the stage surname) when his travel documents listed his proper name ?

When the person was completing the census form he had no expectation that it would be looked at by anyone, except for statistical purposes; indeed, he would have been assured it was confidential. If he was generally known to his neighbours etc by his stage name, and particularly if the census enumerator who called to his door knew him by the stage name, then it would be natural to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Great information, thanks!
    Apparently they lived a rather public life, so ^ that makes sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh god! Someone mentioned the "customs house fire". Hold me back.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Oh god! Someone mentioned the "customs house fire". Hold me back.

I no IT wOZ terbell all da rekords got distroyd

Genealogy Forum Mod

How likely is it that a man listed as "reputed father" (in an 1800's u.s. 'history of the region' type book) is actually the real father of the child?

Impossible to say without digging. Is there evidence of the man being in the vicinity of the mother at the right time?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Gotchya - it's confusing with different names and vague references found in the same book. Will do more digging.

There seems to be evidence of some sort of affiliation with 2 possible "reputed fathers" (him included), in the vicinity.

In case you haven't come across it before this is a useful site that answers that very question.

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

sorry :o ...and thanks Hermy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Quick question as I don't think it merits a full thread.

Does the basic 23 & Me package "Ancestry + Traits Service" give you a Y-DNA haplogroup?

I initially tested my DNA on Ancestry and they don't give one, I paid the fee to have this DNA added to my FTDNA account and they charge for the Y-DNA retest.
    I wan't to do the 23&me as I am certain there are useful matches to be found there, but I also want to know my Y-DNA group

This suggests it does but I don't how detailed.

https://www.23andme.com/en-eu/compare-dna-tests/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Note that matches are not exclusive to the company that does the test - each company shares it's database with some of the other companies (at least that goes for the autosomal tests). I'm not saying that you will get the same matches with different companies, but there is always a large overlap. Yes, if you want to exhaust every possibility it is worth using two different companies. You may also consider Gedmatch if you are okay with the privacy aspect (your data being available for forensic use) and the extra effort involved.

brownangel wrote: »
    Note that matches are not exclusive to the company that does the test - each company shares it's database with some of the other companies (at least that goes for the autosomal tests). I'm not saying that you will get the same matches with different companies, but there is always a large overlap. Yes, if you want to exhaust every possibility it is worth using two different companies. You may also consider Gedmatch if you are okay with the privacy aspect (your data being available for forensic use) and the extra effort involved.
    Thanks and yes I have an account on GEDmatch. It was GEDmatch that helped me put together a major family puzzle.
    I understand there will be some overlap, take me for example, I am on Ancestry and FTDNA so I am sure there are others who have used more than one company.

brownangel wrote: »

I don't get any sense that the individual companies are sharing their databases?

People definitely upload to multiple sites though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Great news.....

Church of England to launch a 'Google Maps for graves' within five years enabling family historians to search for burial records and locations in an online database

Thousands of cemeteries across the UK will be imaged and mapped over the next five years to create a comprehensive database of British burial sites. 

The Church of England project hopes to immortalise the tombs of millions of people buried in Anglican graveyards as well as those interred on unconsecrated land.

Maps and photographs will be uploaded alongside burial records in a searchable database at some point before 2026.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8068893/Church-England-launch-Google-Maps-graves-five-years.html

So I think I have reached near my limit on my family tree, having gone back 4/5 generations I can't seem to find any routes for new information to go further back.

The only interesting documents that I have come across, thanks to Ancestry, is a couple of WW1 draft cards, awards, etc so I know that some G-Grand Uncles served in WW1.

I am a fan of the series Who do you think you are, and I find it really interesting that the genealogists/historians can dig out all these old newspaper articles and documents etc related to a relative of the study.
    Is this something that I can do for my own tree, in the off-TV world.

I have seen that sites exists such as Newspapers.com, where would I start looking for my ancestors, my mothers side is all from Clare.

Or is this just me being naive to think that any of my ancestors did anything of note...

Have you done DNA testing?

I've added about 1500 people to my tree since I did. The tree doesn't just go backwards, it goes sideways and down again.

Irishnewsarchive is best for Ireland but unless you know there's something to find, it'll be very time consuming. I use it mainly to find 20th century death notices.

Another area that is fruitful is the prison records. Almost everyone was arrested at some stage for drinking or fighting!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Irish news paper archive is free to access in libraries.

• Advertisement

Have you done DNA testing?

I've added about 1500 people to my tree since I did. The tree doesn't just go backwards, it goes sideways and down again.

Irishnewsarchive is best for Ireland but unless you know there's something to find, it'll be very time consuming. I use it mainly to find 20th century death notices.

Another area that is fruitful is the prison records. Almost everyone was arrested at some stage for drinking or fighting!

Yeah I have tested with AncestryDNA and the data was added to GEDmatch and FTDNA. I have recently ordered a 23&me kit to get more.

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Yeah I have tested with AncestryDNA and the data was added to GEDmatch and FTDNA. I have recently ordered a 23&me kit to get more.

You can also add the data to My Heritage for free.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hope everyone's keeping well at this challenging time and keeping busy with research.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Yes, strange times.... and you are right research will keep us occupied, can still go to work... for the time being anyway.

Recently found a bigamist in the family who married (2nd marriage) his first cousin....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

The Dog Licence upload on to Ancestry.com has been great craic for the last few days.

Some family members have more interest in the dogs that their ancestors! :rolleyes:

Funny thing on the Ancestry recent uploads...

I was disappointed when Find My Past didn't have free access for St. Patrick's Day as I was keen to view a single image from the Incumbered Estate records which I had overlooked the last time I had a subscription.

And then low and behold Ancestry announce they now have those records on their site so one more small item ticked off the endless to-do list.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Bigamy and needing a dispensation to marry your cousin: I love it!

I'm doing some client work but a message from an Ancestry user (a known to me third cousin) caused me to pull out some research done by someone in that branch of the family. When I was younger I accepted it wholesale but have found over the years that it was not the full picture. To be fair to her, it was compiled in the pre-internet era by bothering priests and asking people so it's broadly correct to a point. However, I found a bit last night that is wrong in many places so I'm going to pull it apart over the next few days and see what bits can be verified.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've an ancestor with her ancestry tree copied several times with an obvious error, stating the mam (and dad) had a child at the age of 8 ....yet no one questions this.

The originator (clearly) misinterpreted (and posted on Find-a-grave) the headstone of their childs death as age 11, instead of the correct death of a 1 year old, and ancestry copies the FAG info semi-automatically, when linked. The FAG originator won't change the data, to avoid further errors.

BowWow wrote: »
    The Dog Licence upload on to Ancestry.com has been great craic for the last few days.

Some family members have more interest in the dogs that their ancestors! :rolleyes:

This is on ancestry now? COOOOOOOL! :D
    It was a fave feature on the Ireland genealogy site.

• Advertisement

However, I found a bit last night that is wrong in many places so I'm going to pull it apart over the next few days and see what bits can be verified.

Er, so my estimate of days was wrong. Turns out when you've nothing to do all day...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement