Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK wills available online

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The link in the article is incorrect. The link given is for pre-1858 wills (so Dickens, Turing, Potter etc won't be there).

The post-1858 wills are here: https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Its basically an ability to search the pre-existing will calendars a little better (and more recently) and then order wills online for relatively rapid dispatch. I've a few on my list of otherwise dead ends that I might venture the cash for. I'd be extremely glad if Ancestry offered the ability to show me everyone I've recorded as dying in the UK without me having to go through my increasingly addled memory for the info!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a link on the side of what the Irish Times linked to, which has "famous wills".

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's a link on the side of what the Irish Times linked to, which has "famous wills".

All pre 1858 also though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Thank you for those links. I had a quick look and found will entries for 2 of mine in the 1920s. Cheers, Catsmeow

Advertisement