Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ted44

ted44 wrote: »
    I understand what your say'n , I sat my assessment Saturday just gone, so im thinking by looking at other posts on here if I was to be called for a driving test I could be waiting for a couple of weeks for a letter in the post?

Got a letter this morning for a driving test / interview in phibsboro Monday week.
    happy days, hope all goe's well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Hi folks im going through the recruitment process at present and have very recently passed the medical test,I-ve gotten a call to ask if it was ok for DB to contact my references and I said yes.

Im just wondering if all goes well does anyone know what way the courses are run e.g do they take on a new group of drivers every month or do they wait until they have enough successful people through before setting up a class.
    Im just wondering if the training start dates are regular enough as I am considering booking a holiday in early June but am worried that if I do I might miss my start date.

I-d hate to have to try defer a start date only to be told thats me out of the game or that theres not another start date for quite some time,I-ve also heard that very few people have actually been offered jobs so far which has me a bit worried,if the references go well and the vetting comes back clean(which it will)is there a good chance i-d get a job offer or could it all still go tits up?

any advice appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

I would advise not to book your holiday until you know for sure what's happening.

Annual leave is at the discretion of your employer. Would you be prepared to lose the money you paid for your holiday ?

Would you be happy if they withdrew the job offer because you are unavailable on the start date?

Seeing as you haven't booked anything yet i would just wait.

That's my advice.

Hi folks im going through the recruitment process at present and have very recently passed the medical test,I-ve gotten a call to ask if it was ok for DB to contact my references and I said yes.

Im just wondering if all goes well does anyone know what way the courses are run e.g do they take on a new group of drivers every month or do they wait until they have enough successful people through before setting up a class.
    Im just wondering if the training start dates are regular enough as I am considering booking a holiday in early June but am worried that if I do I might miss my start date.

I-d hate to have to try defer a start date only to be told thats me out of the game or that theres not another start date for quite some time,I-ve also heard that very few people have actually been offered jobs so far which has me a bit worried,if the references go well and the vetting comes back clean(which it will)is there a good chance i-d get a job offer or could it all still go tits up?

any advice appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bus Eire

Hi I have now passed my medical, does anyone know how long it will be until they phone my references and after that when would you get a start date? Thanks

Bus Eire wrote: »
    Hi I have now passed my medical, does anyone know how long it will be until they phone my references and after that when would you get a start date? Thanks

took a week from the time I passed my medical to get a phonecall to ask permission to ring my references.Still waiting on any further updates ,my references have let me know that DB have contacted them so its out of my hands now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The whole process seems very slow as the training school no longer has a big group of trainners.

Two newbies arrived in Donnybrook yesterday to start their late Sunday, Monday.

New week starts on a Sunday not like most other places been a Monday.

Do you know if they make job offers by phone or post?i-ve been stalking the postman and glued to my phone waiting for further updates!Ive heard that apparently good news will be by phone and bad news by post?would that make any sense?

im in the same boat as you,have you heard anything yet?

passed the driving test on Monday, I don't know about the interview, it was only when I came out I knew I could have answered the question's a lot better,
    I had just came off a night shift and I was'nt prepared properly . fingers crossed ill get to the medical stage ?

ted44 wrote: »
    passed the driving test on Monday, I don't know about the interview, it was only when I came out I knew I could have answered the question's a lot better,
    I had just came off a night shift and I was'nt prepared properly . fingers crossed ill get to the medical stage ?

You should be fine once you didn't say you hate dealing with the public....

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

You should be fine once you didn't say you hate dealing with the public....

Best of luck.

no I had no problem with them questions, basic health and safety is what I let my self down on, well its in the lap of the gods now, they said I should hear in a week or 2 one way or the other so just wait and see, thanks for the help pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pp76

Hi can anyone help I was worndering willDB open up the application possess again ?

I applied in Dec but didn't have D license but I have it now and all my cpc's.

I emailed DB to tell them I have D license now but was told it's closed and to look out for new job add on there website .
    Does anyone think they might advertise again
    Tks

Hi can anyone help I was worndering willDB open up the application possess again ?

I emailed DB to tell them I have D license now but was told it's closed and to look out for new job add on there website .
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

They are going to need a special water cooler for all the Boardies at Dublin Bus HQ :p

im just a regular man looking for info on this job
    Hi can anyone help I was wondering will DB open up the application possess again ?

Tks
    Last edited by pp76; Today at 12:14. Reason: im just a man looking for info

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bus Eire

Hi I am goin for training at phibsboro where is the best place to park?

Hi I am goin for training at phibsboro where is the best place to park?

Park downin Broadstone at the back or go into trainning and ask they may give you a docket to put in window to park in garage as they have clampers.

is there no staff parking at the depot?or is it just during training that you dont get a spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

is there no staff parking at the depot?or is it just during training that you dont get a spot?

Always loads of room to park you car, permenant staff have a parking permit and staff in the training school can get a tempory permit. If you don't get a permit, you run the risk of getting clamped.

The training school have no problem giving you a permit. They will probably offer you one when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Had my driving assessment and interview Thursday two weeks last, they phoned my references last Monday and all went well, dont know what to be expecting... I havent got a date for the medical.

• Advertisement

pp76 wrote: »
    im just a regular man looking for info on this job
    Hi can anyone help I was wondering will DB open up the application possess again ?

I would think so considering the rate of failures in the driving assement, medicals and then people actually turning down the contract when given to them, also a couple of people who started have already quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

liger wrote: »
    I would think so considering the rate of failures in the driving assement, medicals and then people actually turning down the contract when given to them, also a couple of people who started have already quit.

Judging by some of the attitudes of bus driver haters on the Commuting forum, many of whom said that a bus driver's job was easy and they would do it for less money, I'm surprised Dublin Bus are finding it difficult recruiting.

Judging by some of the attitudes of bus driver haters on the Commuting forum, many of whom said that a bus driver's job was easy and they would do it for less money, I'm surprised Dublin Bus are finding it difficult recruiting.

Well reading this thread and knowing a few drivers its seems there was plenty of interest in the jobs but :

1. Lots of failed the driving assement

2. The Medical officer has rejected many people who passed the assesment & interview

3. People have turned down the job offer after seeing the contract. Maybe to do with late shifts, lower pay than exsisting drivers

4. Some have already left the job ( I didnt hear any reason why )

Maybe DB thought they would have an endless supply of cheap labour after the recession but are now struggling to hire on bad T&Cs.

Maybe people saw DB were hiring and thought they would have a chance of a decent job but then found out they would be working lates all the time for less money than those people working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Human-Resources/

The job's back up. Can't reapply if you failed to get in with the last batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Contrails wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Human-Resources/

The job's back up. Can't reapply if you failed to get in with the last batch.

Can't get people or people to stay apparently, where are the 400,000 people that would love that job back last August ???

liger wrote: »
    Well reading this thread and knowing a few drivers its seems there was plenty of interest in the jobs but :

1. Lots of failed the driving assement

2. The Medical officer has rejected many people who passed the assesment & interview

3. People have turned down the job offer after seeing the contract. Maybe to do with late shifts, lower pay than exsisting drivers

4. Some have already left the job ( I didnt hear any reason why )

Maybe DB thought they would have an endless supply of cheap labour after the recession but are now struggling to hire on bad T&Cs.

Maybe people saw DB were hiring and thought they would have a chance of a decent job but then found out they would be working lates all the time for less money than those people working with them.

The truth is that there is a very limited supply of people with the license and the CPC, a lot driving for private operators are ex DB/BE and they don't want them back, and not many of the rest are up to scratch either driving skills, medically or attitude wise and some of those that are don't want the ****ty hours on offer.

DB might have to have a rethink and reopen the training school if they want to fill these jobs anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chaz123

i applied last batch past first couple of stages failed at driving stage even though i have driven trucks and buses for 25 years no accidents or penalty points i think their process is a blunt instrument surely somebody with a clean record and cpc s up to date is worth training and if you failed the first batch you cannot reapply this time equal opportunity employer my eye.

chaz123 wrote: »
    i applied last batch past first couple of stages failed at driving stage even though i have driven trucks and buses for 25 years no accidents or penalty points i think their process is a blunt instrument surely somebody with a clean record and cpc s up to date is worth training and if you failed the first batch you cannot reapply this time equal opportunity employer my eye.

Sorry how does not letting you apply twice for the same position in which they gave already rejected you make them not an equal opportunities employer? Do you know what equal opportunities employer means ?

Your issue is one that DB is probably realizing now, it is probably better to train someone from scratch than to try and change the habits of 25 years of driving trucks and buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chaz123

my issue was that my driving history accident free meant nothing to db it all came down to that one hour keeping it all together a bit like a driving test everybody will be a bit nervous when they are been watched. db seem to have their process in reverse if it were me i would interview first get to know the person their work ethic and driving experience and then take them on the road more than once to access them properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

They say you can not have endorsements on your licence but in the list of what you need, they ask you to tell you what endorsements you have.

Is that not contradicting itself? You can't apply if you don't have a clean licence.. but if you do, tell them what the endorsements are so they can just confirm you're not able to be considering for the position. :S

What exactly are endorsements?
    Are the driving bans?
    Points, too?

Advertisement