Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

neris wrote: »
    How come malahide dredge every few years but it takes years for howth to get 1 dredging in 30 odd years even approved never mind getting a dredger in

1981 the last time I think?

This is pure speculation on my part, but I imagine the material to be dredged at Malahide is a good deal cleaner than what's in Howth as it's not as busy and there are no trawlers operating there; perhaps environmental regs make Howth more difficult?

Even if that is partly the case, I'm sure there's a lot more going on behind this that's also contributing to delays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In Malahide, according to the newsletter sent out today, they get a licence to dump at sea only every 7 years I believe, and condition of the licence is that the dredging takes place in December and January only.

It’s the suspension type dredging where they disturb the silt on the ebb tide so the silt is carried out to sea on the ebb as it’s suspended in the water. This method wouldn’t be suitable for Howth, whereas Malahide has a big tidal flow due to the estuary.

They’ll be moving boats and pontoons over the next few weeks to support the dredging activities.

(Not a great time to lose power at the berth with the cold snap coming, was bloody freezing down there today)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Conchir wrote: »
    1981 the last time I think?

This is pure speculation on my part, but I imagine the material to be dredged at Malahide is a good deal cleaner than what's in Howth as it's not as busy and there are no trawlers operating there; perhaps environmental regs make Howth more difficult?

Even if that is partly the case, I'm sure there's a lot more going on behind this that's also contributing to delays.

I grew up there, what's on the bottom is definitely not clean. decades of raw sewage where the marina village is now, coupled with the shipyard and wrecks I used to play on at low tide... my mother would loose it when I came home smelling of black sludge.. :D

Even the inner estuary, where I learnt to sail as a kid, is filthy, same black gooey sludge..

Reading the newsletter again, they have received a 7 year licence to 'dump at sea' and will be allowed to dredge again in 2021/2022, and again in 2025/2026

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

I don't think malahide comes under the dept of the marine so maybe controlled by final who do things differently but I think the marina pay for the dredging

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Oh dear.. :(

From https://sailinganarchy.com
    A fire broke out at the Mount Gay Distilleries in Barbados yesterday, with the blaze burning 150,000 gallons of alcohol in a storage tank before being brought under control by the local fire services.

The Rémy Cointreau-controlled rum brand confirmed that there had been a blaze at its St Lucy site yesterday (16 January).

The Barbados fire service received a call at 2:18pm local time after reports of an explosion.

Deputy chief fire officer Henderson Patrick told local media: “Arriving on the scene we discovered that it was an alcohol tank that was involved in the fire. The tank normally holds around 300,000 gallons of alcohol and we were informed that it was about half-full”.

Aw nooooooo!!!!

homer.jpg

MGR is a favorite tipple of mine...

In other news, Leo V is reporting a significant loss to the dail bar because of supply issues... :D

Mount Gay, ginger beer, slice of lemon. Seems like a good idea at the time. The next day tends to disagree
    Steve wrote: »
    Aw nooooooo!!!!

MGR is a favorite tipple of mine...

In other news, Leo V is reporting a significant loss to the dail bar because of supply issues... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mount Gay, ginger beer, slice of lemon. Seems like a good idea at the time. The next day tends to disagree

What's the one that features in Cork week?

Stheno wrote: »
    What's the one that features in Cork week?

Mount Gay & coke?

Waterways Ireland intends to dispose, by public tender, of a number of vessels removed from the Grand Canal at Shannon Harbour, Tullamore, Barrow Navigation, Killaloe Canal and Shannon Bridge.

Twelve vessels are presently stored on the South Bank of the Grand Canal adjacent to the Transit Shed in Shannon Harbour. One vessel is stored in Fenniscourt on the Barrow Navigation and other vessels are stored in Ballyleague and Munster Harbour, Portumna.

https://afloat.ie/inland/inland-waterways/item/41821-waterways-ireland-to-hold-sale-of-craft-removed-from-grand-canal

Cant wait to see this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8879946/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

:cool:

Sure if it was easy the wimmins would be doing it....

mmm.

Cant wait to see this:

I've seen the trailer popping up on Facebook, looks like it will be an excellent watch.

On the 25th at 615pm in the lighthouse cinema. 30 years later and she's still trying to dineout on that 1 race. She pops up every once in a while with some plan that never goes anywhere

https://www.diff.ie/festival/film/maiden?fbclid=IwAR036w17a8hjTF57wFyixIOW8LsKkHR3z9fJWs4jLzK_BKkotudk62yx1YM

Cant wait to see this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8879946/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

:cool:

Sure if it was easy the wimmins would be doing it....

mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Angela Heath was part of that crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

30 years later and she's still trying to dineout on that 1 race. She pops up every once in a while with some plan that never goes anywhere

neris, you have to let go of the hurt :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I assume this is going to affect a lot of folks on here

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/news-centre/news/261/prohibition-on-use-of-marked-gas-oil--on-personal-pleasure-craft-from-1st-jan-2020

I am guessing that when you pull up to any places that sell in 2020 (Silver Line, Carric Craft, other) their pumps will only be pumping out normal diesel from then on.

There is some difference in price, that will add up over the year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Road diesel has bio additives which feed bacteria and grow sludge which clogs engine filters. It's not the best move and what are you losing in tax, sweet FA. This is a case of bonkers EU rules going to far.

https://www.metstrade.com/news/articles/what-have-they-done-to-our-diesel/

could barely land a remote control chopper on my boat never mind give it a hanger

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Coming to you very soon ~ NO Green Diesel for Irish leisure boaters ~ EU Rules

Should get the rule makers to try and fill a 400ltr tank here in Ireland...

https://afloat.ie/resources/news-update/item/40909-green-diesel-yachting-leisure-boating

Thankfully I’ve only a 25 litre tank which gives me about 10-12 hours of motoring from my little Volvo Penta 2002!

Still though, typical! Buy a boat and within a year we lose green diesel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think that the vast majority of people who don't own boats (most people) would be shocked at the idea that, previously, leisure boaters could legally use green diesel while they pay full duty price for diesel to drive to work.

Or explain to a taxi or truck driver that they have to pay full duty but it's not fair of the EU to make you pay duty for your days pottering about in boats.

Is there really a reasonable argument for letting leisure boats use green diesel?
    I love boats but I've never understood why it was allowed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is there really a reasonable argument for letting leisure boats use green diesel?

Interesting one alright!

The only thing that jumped into my head, straight away, was Charles Haughey and his yacht, Celtic Mist. No doubt a diesel guzzler.

I wonder did that have anything to do with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some very senior civil servants are keen boat owners. A big reason these things get left alone for so long...

Or explain to a taxi or truck driver that they have to pay full duty but it's not fair of the EU to make you pay duty for your days pottering about in boats.

Taxi and other commercial road users pay full duty on Diesel, no? Only difference is they can claim VAT back.

The only ones allowed non dutied oil are commercial fishermen, ferries, tugs and farmers.

Pottering about on a small boat, you might use maybe 100l of fuel in a year. Compare that to a Dublin port tug using 200l per hour...

Just another excuse to tax the little guy using the environment as an excuse whilst ignoring the corporate and state usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just another excuse to tax the little guy using the environment as an excuse whilst ignoring the corporate and state usage.

Can I have some tax relief on my skiing holidays?
    I only go once a year.

Advertisement