Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can landlord insist on prepay energy if tenant is responsible for bills?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"otherwise why would these companies set themselves up?" - to price gouge vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Why would a landlord pay up at all though? They are not responsible for bills that are left in a tenants name.

It's a very simple process - in between tenants, the bill should revert to the landlords name - when a tenant moves in they contact the provider with an agreed meter reading to transfer the bills into their own name (a landlord who has registered the property under a landlord agreement can call to confirm this has happened, in fact even without the property being marked as a rental they can just check the bill is no longer in their name and can also confirm that the correct meter reading from date of occupation was given) - when a tenant moves out, the meter reading is taken on the day they move and the landlord calls to move the bills back into their name - they are not responsible for any outstanding debt in the tenants name. A landlord, who operates correctly, can never be liable for a tenants debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

So what happens when a tenants leaves the property with no forwarding address, the landlord cannot get in contact and they have a huge arrears on the account?

Who pays then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nobody. The landlord is not responsible but they were in the past and many people still think that way. There used to be a hefty charge to change the name on the bill so many were still the responsibility of the landlord. Now it is a lot easier and no charge but people still operate under the impression things are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

The providers loss at that stage - most account will either need to be on DD or have a deposit paid to set up if not on DD which usually covers some of the arrears if a tenant skips town with outstanding bills. It can and does affect tenants credit ratings though, the provider will have details other than addresses which they can be identified by and are supplied to the credit bureau - but collections will have made many many attempts to sort the issues long before it gets to that stage - usually starting attempts as soon as the customer goes into arrears.

Edited to add: The landlord would have to contact the provider on the day the tenant leaves to change back into his name - there have been cases where the landlord has failed to do so (either intentionally or being unaware of the process) and disputes then arise as to when the landlord is charged from and proof of departure date etc has to be provided.

• Advertisement

?? Ye're responding to posts; the last of which was 22/11/2019

Prepay Power is a massive ripoff.. I had a think about it, after moving in for about a week and using it through convenience (getting the card in my name), and it's easily about 170/180% more costly than billpay.. If I ever move again, and there's a 'Prepay' meter in place, I'm ringing them up asap, and getting the cancel code.

Rang them up about 5 or so days later and asked for demanded the cancel code (think there's a week 'cooling off period' on it) before going back to the provider I was with before..

A bunch of highwaymen is all they are; preying on the vulnerable.. Between the standing charge (€1.29 per day iirc, which kicks in around 2.00am) and the high rates, it was costing approx €5- a day,.. and that's with no electric/storage heaters or immersion being used..

Alright in a pinch, but realistically, if someone was using storage heaters and the like, I'd imagine it would cost about €10 per day at this time of the year 😧 They do a great job with the bs - works out cheaper/use less electricity type guff - Oh, you'll certainly be using a lot less electricity, when you're buying €20 credit every 2 days or so.. Ever moved into an apt, and seen the lightbulb gone from the fridge/cooker/fake electric fireplace (if there is one), then that's a surefire sign that the previous tenants were #economizing 😁, imo #although, they'd actually be saving fk all..

Then there's the annoyance of the BEEP BEEP bloody BEEP , when the credit goes low... Fk Prepay Power (or any electric 'provider' where one pays in advance)

As far as the landlord goes, at a guess, I wouldn't see how s/he can force a tenant to sign up with these type providers.. only a guess though..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

That has only changed if that is the case. Previously the energy company would come after the LL.

I doubt it is that easy as well otherwise everyone would do it. Just walk off without a bill and leave the LL just to switch back over with no comeback on the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Most people are decent and pay what they owe, of course there are scumbags in every walk of life though.

Advertisement