Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime £59 for a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Everything that I have bought from Amazon.co.uk recently seems to have physically come from Amazon SARL (in other words: France)
    Is that their way of preparing for Brexit? Or just a co-incidence ?

I thought Amazon SARL was a sort of tax avoidance gig. Registered in Luxembourg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah, it depends. I do see that a lot which can be frustrating if you'd prefer to combine items due to Parcel Wizard costs. Often I order 3 things and Amazon splits them up coming from different distribution centres.

I think Amazon has been preparing for years. The fact that you can seamlessly login to any amazon site and carry over your payment details to start. Specifically Amazon.de now support english and other languages to me says they are preparing for a shift to their next biggest Amazon distribution hub. I've noticed sometimes the .de site offers free delivery on orders over €29.00. DPD can hopefully setup an address in Germany for me soon enough and I'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Amazon.de has had an English option for at least two years. Amazon.de fulfilled orders have been free shipping if over €29 for a good while too. Unfortunately, your Prime UK subscription doesn't carry over though - I've tried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cancelled by sky sub yesterday. Have Netflix and Amazon prime.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I know most students here will probably know already, but prime student is 6 months free and £39 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

delly wrote: »
    I know most students here will probably know already, but prime student is 6 months free and £39 a year.

How do i avail of that? I'm a student and was not aware

Also being from Ireland do i have to change addresses or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yeah, it depends. I do see that a lot which can be frustrating if you'd prefer to combine items due to Parcel Wizard costs. Often I order 3 things and Amazon splits them up coming from different distribution centres.

I think Amazon has been preparing for years. The fact that you can seamlessly login to any amazon site and carry over your payment details to start. Specifically Amazon.de now support english and other languages to me says they are preparing for a shift to their next biggest Amazon distribution hub. I've noticed sometimes the .de site offers free delivery on orders over €29.00. DPD can hopefully setup an address in Germany for me soon enough and I'll be sorted.

The free option from Amazon.de is only for countries in a catchment area bordering Germany and mostly it's over €39.
    See here for rates;
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_testtest_md4_w?nodeId=201910850&language=en_GB&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=FGAGBSHAA42K1KZZ4DXY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ebfb3486-b67a-495b-b6d4-a2ba30b96543&pf_rd_i=12019432031#GUID-94F272E0-F280-4956-87FB-E99C2528462A__SECTION_BD5261D0F4734BADA9B44C20681895C4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    How do i avail of that? I'm a student and was not aware

Also being from Ireland do i have to change addresses or anything like that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201895520

This is the page. You will need to enter your college email address in the box that asks for a UK college email address, then click on the verification mail. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

skerry wrote: »
    I use it a bit for the little one to watch Peppa and that but apart from the odd big series I'm interested I rarely find anything of use on it. Herself will be on maternity leave soon though so I'm wondering if Prime TV UK would keep her entertained. I also have a Nintendo Switch and Twitch Prime give free 12 months online sub for that as far as I know and I order from Amazon a bit. TV would be a bonus if TV had decent content

Thank you, I didn't know about the nintendo sub being included

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Tried chat to change region. Refused until I can put a UK card and UK Billing address on my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,810 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Reading through the posts I have 2 questions people might be able to help with. Im an Amazon customer and have an address registered both here and in NI for deliveries but this is my account address so to speak. I previously had a 1 month trial but that was maybe a year ago. My credit card is registered with them.

In relation to Prime Video and music I see its merely a case of contacting them by live chat and ask to be changed to UK but would they ask for a UK card at that point? Also (Im not too technically minded) would they pick up from the IP address that Im in ROI and block some of the video content? Prime Music is only available to UK so would that be available if I can get them to change the settings?

Apologies for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

loopymum wrote: »
    Thank you, I didn't know about the nintendo sub being included

Verify for yourself to be sure but as far as I know Prime gets you access to Twitch Prime and you can get an initial 3 month sub through that and claim remaining 9 months once you've remained a subscriber for something like 60 months I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Genghis wrote: »
    Tried chat to change region. Refused until I can put a UK card and UK Billing address on my account.
    muffler wrote: »
    Reading through the posts I have 2 questions people might be able to help with. Im an Amazon customer and have an address registered both here and in NI for deliveries but this is my account address so to speak. I previously had a 1 month trial but that was maybe a year ago. My credit card is registered with them.

In relation to Prime Video and music I see its merely a case of contacting them by live chat and ask to be changed to UK but would they ask for a UK card at that point? Also (Im not too technically minded) would they pick up from the IP address that Im in ROI and block some of the video content? Prime Music is only available to UK so would that be available if I can get them to change the settings?

Apologies for all the questions

You're both overthinking it. Just get on chat and ask them to set your Prime Video region to UK. Tell them as little as possible. Don't mention Ireland and don't bother fiddling with changing address. Genghis, I know you tried this already - just try again tomorrow. Look through previous posts, there's nothing to it. It's just not guaranteed to work first time.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Genghis wrote: »

Didn't have an issue myself, was just asked where I live and I said Newtownabbey Co. Antrim. No further questions asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Got the video working, anyone get Prime music working though after that? It's asking me for a UK card

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Their was thread like this before, you didn't even have to ring, you could change it, within your account when log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have UK Prime does that also include Germany, Spain and France as Prime member or is your membership for orders UK/Ireland only? 3 months to Brexit limits the appeal if it's UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you have UK Prime does that also include Germany, Spain and France as Prime member or is your membership for orders UK/Ireland only? 3 months to Brexit limits the appeal if it's UK only.

Nope, UK prime covers UK and Ire, not transferable to other Amazon territories but you can cancel and get a pro rata refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I have irish prime (I think), also got a UK billing and delivery address (the benefits of being a nordie, not sure if it fully compensates for the fact that ye all think we're nuts, especially this time of year, but..), rarely use prime video, is the content substantially better with uk access (Or is it just crap with a terrible interface anyway)?
    Until they add proper Chromecast accessibility I'll rarely use it anyway, but I hear that's en-route, so decent prime might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I have irish prime (I think), also got a UK billing and delivery address (the benefits of being a nordie, not sure if it fully compensates for the fact that ye all think we're nuts, especially this time of year, but..), rarely use prime video, is the content substantially better with uk access (Or is it just crap with a terrible interface anyway)?
    Until they add proper Chromecast accessibility I'll rarely use it anyway, but I hear that's en-route, so decent prime might make a difference.

They've added casting already!

I tried contacting support to update the address but no joy so will try again next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dutchy

I got on to chat and they changed the region to the UK for video content straight away and no questions asked. Just be direct and polite. Interestingly, however, was that I had a free trial of prime before and when I attempted to cast video content via video prime app to my tv via Chromecast I couldn't. Now I can ? A welcome surprise as I'm now watching series 1 of Fleabag while eating my Coco pops (not a euphemism).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Dutchy wrote: »
    I got on to chat and they changed the region to the UK for video content straight away and no questions asked. Just be direct and polite. Interestingly, however, was that I had a free trial of prime before and when I attempted to cast video content via video prime app to my tv via Chromecast I couldn't. Now I can ? A welcome surprise as I'm now watching series 1 of Fleabag while eating my Coco pops (not a euphemism).

How do you check what region your on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Xaniaj wrote: »
    They've added casting already!

I tried contacting support to update the address but no joy so will try again next week

Just checked and you are correct, must have been in the last few weeks. Now that is an actual game changer.

I have fleabag season 1, have to rent or buy the Lego movie though (lego batman etc appear to be free).

But Chromecast might be enough to have me commit for the year, if the offer is still on that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dutchy

Read over on another forum that Chromecast was added just a couple of days ago. I'll be watching all the Rocky movies later so.

Re Checking what region you are in. If you can stream Fleabag series 1 you have the UK settings. If you can't you have the IRE settings (only series 2 of Fleabag is available in IRE)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Just changed the location with the chat, so easy. Mention Belfast once. Never asked again. Sign out and sign in. Job done. Thks to whatever poster mentioned. Defo more stuff on UK version..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Got the video working, anyone get Prime music working though after that? It's asking me for a UK card

I asked support about that and it requires a UK card, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

MY prime membership is up in Jan. Can I buy at £59 and have that extend by 12 months from Jan 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Signed up for the 12 months and accessed Prime Video through the app on TV. I can access Lego Batman Movie and first season of Fleabag, does that mean I am on the UK version of Prime TV? I haven't got in touch with chat yet over changing region or anything.

Is there any other content I could verify I'm on UK with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Availed of this offer last year, was expecting to pay 79st this year though as i still had over a month left on that sub, but contacted them and asked them to cancel it and refund remaining amount, then when i received the email confirmation, i then signed up for the 59st offer again. I'm not a heavy prime user, so 59st is enough for me lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would think twice about signing up for anything with Brexit looming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement