Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Flower of Scotland" is better than "Ireland's Call" - anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well that's me finished with everything Scottish. Starting with. ...ahem. ...give me a minute. ...ahem. .....well I'm not wearing tartan ever again!

Hmmm... ye can feck off if you think I'm pouring my Scotch down the drain for a lump of rock in the middle of nowhere!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A People that cannot ‘ Fight “ their Way out of the British Union in a Free Referendum do not deserve to be called a Nation or a People .

After there failure to take their own Independence they should have been called Northern England / Northern Britain .

They are not a Nation or a National People .

Del.Monte wrote: »

Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glen Goyne, Jura, Talisker, Macallan, Bowmore, Highland Park, Laphroaig, Springbank, Speyburn... impressive first 11 for the Scotch there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Flower of Scotland is only for pansies@

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You can't claim sovereignty over something that is completely uninhabitable.

A SAS man was able to live on it for a few months, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭Patser

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nah, their fighting days are behind them. All alcos since they got a lifetime supply of booze for Guinness ad appearances.

Naval Toucans never forget their true calling - especially if we threaten to cut off their Guinness supply- what'll the Scots offer them? Tennants- fairly sure the Geneva convention lists Tennants under war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭boetstark

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Ahem.

https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Compliance/resources/Vessels

Britain's sea fisheries have been protected and controlled by the authority of Parliament for nearly 200 years, but in 1882 responsibility for protecting Scottish waters was given to the Fishery Board for Scotland.

The first vessel that the Board took over was a former Royal Navy sailing cutter "Vigilant", which had worked for some years on protection tasks. Over the years, new ships were added to the fishery protection fleet and responsibility for managing the task of fishery protection was transferred at different times to various Government bodies, including the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency and now Marine Scotland Compliance.

Currently, Marine Scotland Compliance has three ships in its fleet of Marine Protection Vessels (MPVs):

MPV Minna

MPV Minna was built at Ferguson's Shipyard, Port Glasgow and was launched in 2003. She is 42 metres in length and has a gross tonnage of 781. She has a crew of 15, a top speed of 14 knots and is used mainly for inshore enforcement tasks.

MPV Jura

MPV Jura was built at Ferguson's Shipyard, Port Glasgow. She was launched in 2005 and entered service in March 2006. Currently the largest vessel in the fleet - at 1 tonne heavier than the MPV Hirta - she is 84 metres in length and has a gross tonnage of 2,181. She has a crew of 17, a top speed of 18 knots and is used mainly for offshore enforcement tasks.

MPV Hirta

MPV Hirta is the newest of our ships and is the same type of ship as the FPV Jura. Built at the Remontowa Yard in Gdansk, Poland she entered service in 2008. She is 84 metres in length and has a gross tonnage of 2,181. She has a crew of 17, a top speed of 18 knots and is used mainly for offshore enforcement tasks.

Plus Google HMNB Clyde and see what the Scottish Government absolutely have at their disposal. I think for what its worth GB is itchy to give Ireland a slap , considering Irish ministers interference over Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭Patser

janfebmar wrote: »
    A SAS man was able to live on it for a few months, as far as I remember.

But according to wikipedia he was Irish born, so we claim him as a double agent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Naval Toucans never forget their true calling - especially if we threaten to cut off their Guinness supply- what'll the Scots offer them? Tennants- fairly sure the Geneva convention lists Tennants under war crimes.

All the whisky they can drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

blinding wrote: »
    A People that cannot ‘ Fight “ their Way out of the British Union in a Free Referendum do not deserve to be called a Nation or a People .

After there failure to take their own Independence they should have been called Northern England / Northern Britain .

They are not a Nation or a National People .

Actually the Scots were never forced into the union...there was only hundreds of years of back and forth invasions between England and Scotland.
    England invading Scotland, Scotland invading England and so on over and over.

Eventually it was sorted when a Scottish king became king of England...so in that sense it was actually the Scots who took over England.

The history between Scotland and England is very different to the history between Ireland and England.
    Also the English and Scots shared the same religion, which bonded them closer.

archer22 wrote: »
    Actually the Scots were never forced into the union...there was only hundreds of years of back and forth invasions between England and Scotland.
    England invading Scotland, Scotland invading England and so on over and over.

Eventually it was sorted when a Scottish king became king of England...so in that sense it was actually the Scots who took over England.

The history between Scotland and England is very different to the history between Ireland and England.
    Also the English and Scots shared the same religion, which bonded them closer.

Scotland was broke due to its American misadventures and needed bailing out.

boetstark wrote: »
    Plus Google HMNB Clyde and see what the Scottish Government absolutely have at their disposal. I think for what its worth GB is itchy to give Ireland a slap , considering Irish ministers interference over Brexit

A cornered rat comes to mind...

Also, we arrested a couple of Nordy fishermen lately. Those that once purported to rule the waves will not have liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

recedite wrote: »
    Its more or less 50;50, until the Scots roll out the Loch Ness Monster.
    At that point, all the Irish fish change sides.

Agreed, look if the Scots deploy oul Nessie and if you are an Irish fish then you better go turncoat lest ye be gobbled up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Agreed, look if the Scots deploy oul Nessie and if you are an Irish fish then you better go turncoat lest ye be gobbled up...

You also need to factor in the Scots have Iron Bru

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Patser wrote: »
    But according to wikipedia he was Irish born, so we claim him as a double agent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

i can't find it, was he born in Howth ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

i can't find it, was he born in Howth ???

Indeed, it hardly could be classed as Ireland. Another territorial dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Nobelium wrote: »
    You also need to factor in the Scots have Iron Bru

We may as well give up now then so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭boetstark

A cornered rat comes to mind...

Also, we arrested a couple of Nordy fishermen lately. Those that once purported to rule the waves will not have liked that.

A fly on an elephant's arse springs to mind ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

boetstark wrote: »
    A fly on an elephant's arse springs to mind ðŸ˜

Calling the EU an elephant is simply gauche :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Scottish want ''Rockall'' back. So should we let them have it or so we fight for it for our hard working fishermen and women?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0608/1054211-rockall-fishing/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They already own it but I'm in if we are invading

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nobody

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

We should declare a jihad against Scotland if they threaten our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

But what about da homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Balanadan wrote: »
    We should declare high jnyx against Scotland if they threaten our country.

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I was going to call for a boycott of irn-bru and battered mars bars but that already exists

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We're going to invade and Scotland will be waiting for us but just as England come to help Scotland we join with Scotland and both fight the English!

I seen it in a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

people have gone to war for less.

count me in.

btw...what rock??

Advertisement