Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thatched cottage setting

• 21-10-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm looking to source furniture and accessories for a thatched cottage that maybe opened to the public (Dressers, table, chairs, fireside hearth items, pots, pans, kettle etc). Does anyone know a good place to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,157 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PCGEN wrote: »
    I'm looking to source furniture and accessories for a thatched cottage that maybe opened to the public (Dressers, table, chairs, fireside hearth items, pots, pans, kettle etc). Does anyone know a good place to start?

Bunratty Folk Park in Co. Clare.
    You can see the authentic stuff in it's proper setting there.
    You will be able to see what is appropriate to the type of house you have.
    Make notes and bring a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I should think a lot of the furniture at any rate should be cheap to buy, dressers and settles, as they're cumbersome and unpopular with people living in modern homes.

There should be a lot of pots, kettles and fire bellows in circulation, loads of them found a second life as planters and garden ornaments. Table and wall oil lamps were mass produced so should be cheap and easy to find as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Like thousands more, I was reared in a thatched cottage in the 1950s.
    The fireplace 'furniture' is to be found easily enough, though some is reproduction - ie kettles, saucepans, skillet-pots, pot-ovens, etc but from what I gather from your post is that you won't actually be cooking with this stuff, it being just for show.

The likes of Soogan chairs can be spotted at antique dealers, Vintage Rallies, Markets, Carboot sales, etc.

I have the Crane from our old house here, and you're welcome to it, unless you have one already.

Any advice I can give you, feel free to ask.
    Just send a pm.

Dan.

Advertisement