Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1916 Seachtar Na Casca

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Denerick wrote: »
    My grandfather (Long since deceased) taped it when it was first aired and I'm fortunate enough to have it still. I don't know if it still works, but I rewatched it 2 or 3 years ago. I think it is on sale somewhere on the internet, remember seeing an add for it.

Why in the name of God don't RTE have this on sale on DVD. Im sure every secondary school in the country would get a copy of it not to mention those of us interested in it. I remember our principal making us watch it when we were in 6th class. I remember really enjoying it but little else. I'd dearly love to see it, apparently Gleeson had the gait and accent of Collins down to a tee. I've looked for it online before and only saw old VHS copies available. Is it available anywhere on DVD???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Why in the name of God don't RTE have this on sale on DVD. Im sure every secondary school in the country would get a copy of it not to mention those of us interested in it. I remember our principal making us watch it when we were in 6th class. I remember really enjoying it but little else. I'd dearly love to see it, apparently Gleeson had the gait and accent of Collins down to a tee. I've looked for it online before and only saw old VHS copies available. Is it available anywhere on DVD???

A good question. I haven't been able to find it anywhere on DVD. As I said I have an old VHS copy dating to when it came out in the early 90s but it's getting very faded and the resolution is bad. Gleeson is brilliant - he does indeed have the gait and accent of Collins down well. The downside for me is they spent too much time dwelling on Lloyd George's relationship/affair [who cares?] with his secretary whom he calls "Pussy" throughout. Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why in the name of God don't RTE have this on sale on DVD. Im sure every secondary school in the country would get a copy of it not to mention those of us interested in it. I remember our principal making us watch it when we were in 6th class.

When I was in 6th class we didn't have The Treaty but we did watch the The Young Indinia Jones Chronciles. :D

Young Indiana was vistied Dublin and going out with the sister of Sean Lemass
    Anyone remember that espisode, all based on the truth I tell ya

1916 gets the Hollywood treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

lol!

Its almost as good as the Capt Planet visits belfast episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You can't even get a DVD of John MacDonagh's film of Michael Collins selling the first of the Republican Loan bonds to people including Erskine Childers, Grace Plunkett, Arthur Griffith, Robert Brennan, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone see it tonight about James Connolly? Thought it was very good, didn't know much about the man really.

Wasn't quite as impressed. Connolly and his cohorts looked far too prosperous; the idea of a child labourer in 19th-century Edinburgh having nice boots and a good outfit was beyond the realm. And he just didn't convince as a radical, as presented.

I was disappointed that they didn't have more about his involvement with the Wobblies too, and with Larkin (who spoke the eulogy over the grave of Joe Hill); and that they didn't even show a picture of William Martin Murphy, or include the fact that Murphy was wildly nationalistic, in a Franco sort of way.

Nor did it include Connolly's wit and fun - here's an archive of his writing: http://www.marxists.org/archive/connolly/index.htm

But it did get across Connolly's utter heroism, as a working man and as a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to Tg4. I think they've put together a really good series. I was thinking they would of showed 16 Moore st. Does anyone know is this building to be fully preserved?

This will have to come out on DVD. It'll be excellent for kids to see in schools.

No, the three houses in Moore Street which are the subject of a preservation order will not be preserved as they should be, unless the protests by An Taisce, the Georgian Society, etc are effective.

The current plan involves placing the toilets and kitchens of the planned super-mall under these historic houses. Moore Lane, where the last charge of the GPO garrison took place, would be a walkway in this plastic mall.

There's a group called Save Moore Street that has a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/savemoorestreet if you want to go to a few protest meetings and write to your TDs and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Wasn't quite as impressed. Connolly and his cohorts looked far too prosperous; the idea of a child labourer in 19th-century Edinburgh having nice boots and a good outfit was beyond the realm. And he just didn't convince as a radical, as presented.

I was disappointed that they didn't have more about his involvement with the Wobblies too, and with Larkin (who spoke the eulogy over the grave of Joe Hill); and that they didn't even show a picture of William Martin Murphy, or include the fact that Murphy was wildly nationalistic, in a Franco sort of way.

Nor did it include Connolly's wit and fun - here's an archive of his writing: http://www.marxists.org/archive/connolly/index.htm

But it did get across Connolly's utter heroism, as a working man and as a leader.
    He was far from been an Irish nationalist but a total user and oppurtunist. Dubbed William Murder Murphy by the people of Dublin after the Lockout in 1913, his newspaper the Irish Independent called for the shooting of Connolly and others in 1916. His appearent nationalism was motivated for fiscal autonomy only - which he and his cronies would control of course.

• Advertisement

He was far from been an Irish nationalist but a total user and oppurtunist. Dubbed William Murder Murphy by the people of Dublin after the Lockout in 1913, his newspaper the Irish Independent called for the shooting of Connolly and others in 1916. His appearent nationalism was motivated for fiscal autonomy only - which he and his cronies would control of course.

True - he wasn't unlike the current lot in that. But his heart was green, you have to give him that. He was an authoritarian capitalist, but loved his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Just watched this online. I thought it was a fine representation of the life of James Connolly. Connolly (and the Citizen Army) was the sharp end of the stick. Without their participation the Easter Rising would have been a much more tame affair.

In the words of AE:

Here's to you Connolly, my man,
    Who cast the last torch on the pile.
    You too, had Ireland in your care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

True - he wasn't unlike the current lot in that. But his heart was green, you have to give him that. He was an authoritarian capitalist, but loved his country.
    True William Murder Murphy wasn't unlike the current lot and loved his country in the same way as Sir Anthony O'Reilly, Bertie Ahern, Ivor Callely, Sean Fitzpatrick etc

True William Murder Murphy wasn't unlike the current lot and loved his country in the same way as Sir Anthony O'Reilly, Bertie Ahern, Ivor Callely, Sean Fitzpatrick etc

But the working and workless people of 1913 had a lot more balls than we have.

Here's James Connolly's great-grandson bringing Enda Kenny on a tour of the battlefield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx0_UaTstCI (first part)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET60MGMIoAg (second part)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjtgECWlbs (final part)

These links replace an earlier version in mp4, which doesn't play so well on YouTube as .flv, which these are.

Reminder Mac Diarmada is on tonight. Also another thing I notice in the show was that when they were executed by firing squad the OIC walked towards to body and shot them again with a pistol. Was that common practice or revenge for killing British soldiers?

The coup de grace

Like most things in the military, these things are covered by procedures so the officer follows that

I can't say if the British army did it for every execution but it's pretty standard, not strange at all

The executions were botched, according to a medical officer who attended, and so and officer had to shoot them with a handgun to finish them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

The executions were botched, according to a medical officer who attended, and so and officer had to shoot them with a handgun to finish them off.

Thanks for this - do you have anything further on where this information/source can be found?

MarchDub wrote: »
    Thanks for this - do you have anything further on where this information/source can be found?

Sure-o: google "waving like a field of corn" and "HV Stanley" and you're set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

sean mac diarmada tonight, what a brilliant series

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

sean mac diarmada tonight, what a brilliant series

Just a few minutes into the sean mac diarmada episode and there is a scene in a bar in belfast where mac diarmada meets bulmer hobson and dennis mccullough for the first time and it has a few mistakes.
    All three were about 21 years old when they met in belfast at the time macdiarmada was working in the bar but in the documentary mccullough looks about fifty years old, hobson appears in his late thirties/early forties and mac diarmada looks in his late twenties.
    Maybe I am just being too picky but did anyone else notice this, surely the researchers would have known this or were they just hoping no-one would notice or even worse did they not know???
    There are a huge amount of inaccuracies concerning bulmer hobson throughout many histories of this period and this is another one. Hobson was one of the architects of the new found nationalism at that time so surely he deserves more. How would you feel if in the documentary connolly was show as an 18 year old or pearse as a 70 year old??
    I know their perceived age in the programme is not really that relevent but it just annoys me that they could make such a mistake. Ok rant over.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Anybody see tonight's episode? I thought it was possibly the strongest in the series yet. It focused on the role played by Eamonn Ceannt in the 1916 Rising and raised some very interesting questions by comparing the actions of these men with contemporary islamic suicide bombers and the like.

There were some great scenes based around the fighting at the South Dublin Union. Powerful stuff.

Yeah the Ceannt episode was very good. He is one of the least known signatories but appears to have been one of the most effective leaders during the rising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Yes, I knew very little about Ceannt until last nights episode. A fantastic episode!

Also a good bit about Brugha, got to give it to the man, he was ballsy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

good episode last night... other than his name, signature on the proclamation, and execution ..I hadn't heard much about Eamonn before.. very interesting

Shane

I also didn't know much about Ceannt. Just he had a Galway connection
    He was a fine officer and led his men through tough fighting

I wouldn't have thought WT Cosgrave would look so scruffy :P
    He's the very opposite and always well dressed later in government

There's a good book on Ceannt by Paul O'Brien - it was going for a fiver in the bookshop in Grafton Street recently. Gripping. The same writer has a great book on the Mount Street Bridge action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

There's a good book on Ceannt by Paul O'Brien - it was going for a fiver in the bookshop in Grafton Street recently. Gripping. The same writer has a great book on the Mount Street Bridge action.

I think that same fellow has just released a book on the fighting at the South Dublin Union also, where WT was based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Ceannt's was brilliant. Every time I watch an epsiode the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Awesomely done TG4. What did ye think of the Galway Ceannt biographer describing the woman at the 1916 commemoration in Eyre Square saying 'they died for nothing' and bemoaning the current state of the country. Is that the first time they let a comment like that through. I agreed with her sentiments though when you see the sacrifices these men made and the present sickening incumbents of the government.

Advertisement