Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite History Podcasts

• 17-11-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Im a new poster on boards, but have read a lot on them.

I absolutely love history and learning new stuff. I find podcasts as a nice easy way to fit a love of history around a busy life. I love listening to them on the way to work and when I'm generally on the move. Thought a thread might be good to tip people off to good podcasts.

I'll get the ball rolling with my favourites.

Mike Duncan's The History of Rome - A fantastic podcast. Well researched, easy listening and highly informative. He is currently approaching the epic reign of Aurelian in the late 3rd Century. There are well over 100 episodes so far, but I would highly recommend this to anyone. Has an episode out every Monday. Probably my favourite

Lars Brownworth's 12 Byzantine Rulers - The original history podcast, and one of the very best. An excellent introduction to the wonderful world of the Byzantine Empire. Inspired me to read John Julius Norwich's 3 volume Byzantine History and introduced me to magnificent figures like Belisarius who are woefully under represented in contemporary histories.

The History Network Podcast - Gives you a short insight into varied topics. A nice listen every now and again. Would question the sources on some material but is still enjoyable.

Lars Brownworth's Norman Centuries - Another gem from Lars that is currently as far as the amazing Robert Guiscard. Occasionally reaches the heights of his Byzantine podcast, but is frustrating as episodes are very sparse. Only one every couple of months. Going to stick with it though.

TPN's The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast - If you can get through their blatant pro-Napoleonic views this is a very enjoyable series. I would be mostly pro-Napoleon, but sometimes they can see no wrong in him which is frustrating. But worth a listen as an introducution to Napoleon. Again inspired me to read books such as 1812 and a biography on him.

Mark Schauss's Russian Rulers Podcast - Only recently discovered this one, but seems good. Its style lends itself alot to the History of Rome by Mike Duncan but I feel this will be a very interesting introduction to the History of a part of the world that isn't as widely known here. Only 3 episodes in but as I said I've high hopes for it

Well thats mine. Hope people add theirs as I'm always looking to find new ones.

Comments

Advertisement