Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] Most Famous Moments in UK TV Historeh

• 05-09-2003 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hobserve below! Source.
    Revealed: most famous moments in TV history

By Ciaran McGrath

Neil Armstrong's historic moonwalk has topped a list of some of the most famous moments in television history.

ITN has compiled its 20 most requested newsreels, featuring such instantly recognisable images as Bobby Moore lifting the World Cup and September 11.

The ITN archive manages footage for ITN itself, as well as Reuters, Channel 4 and British Pathe, says managing director Alwyn Lindsey.

He adds: "The Moon Landings are obviously one of the most important and memorable sets of images in history. We were enormously busy in the wake of 9/11, but not just because people wanted footage of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers. It had a knock-on effect because the story was so far-reaching."

Top ten most requested newsreels:

1) Moonwalk — 1969

2) The assassination of JFK — 1963

3) September 11 attacks — 2001

4) Diana's funeral – 1997

5) Bobby Moore lifts the World Cup — 1966

6) Iranian Embassy siege – 1980

7) Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech – 1963

8) Margaret Thatcher resigns – 1990

9) Hindenburg disaster – 1937

10) Munich Olympics massacre – 1972

I know there was another 10 in the Irish Indy a few days back but I'll be chuggered with an apron wearing hippo if I can find it.

Choices 5, 8 and possibly 6 I reckon wouldn't be on there if it was done on a more international scale. The Berlin wall was in the lower 20 I know, if only for that classic photo of the vaguely scumbagish fellow with the sledgehammer.

Diana's funeral was also fairly blown out of proportion imo, I particularily remember being *mildly* pished off when Diana's death got a week straight of coverage and Mother Theresa (Who died the same week or week after) got about half a days air time. Grumble grumble bloody Cromwellians grumble grumble...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I particularily remember being *mildly* pished off when Diana's death got a week straight of coverage and Mother Theresa (Who died the same week or week after) got about half a days air time. Grumble grumble bloody Cromwellians grumble grumble

hehe
    I was in Engerland at the time, I remember ranting in the pub drunkenly about how there was nothing on the telly 'cept people crying about that dead tart

Something I can't understand about the Brits, even the biggest baldie, beer-bellied eastender yobbos and Sharon and Traaacy type essex filth will suddenly puff up with pride when the royal family are mentioned. As for Dianna, I was "But all she done is get her photograph taken with black kids...why do you need a ****ing Princess?! What's the point?

Suffice to say, 2 more beers and 3 Diana jokes later the barman asked me to leave the premesis because he didn't much care for wiping blood off the floors. Yeah...Saxon swine...mutter mutter.

Topic? There was a topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Mark
    Diana's funeral was also fairly blown out of proportion imo, I particularily remember being *mildly* pished off when Diana's death got a week straight of coverage and Mother Theresa (Who died the same week or week after) got about half a days air time. Grumble grumble bloody Cromwellians grumble grumble...
    Despite being of Cromwellian descent, I completely agree with you Markeh.

/me watches mark's respect for me plummet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Who can forget that football match ?

England need to beat San Marino 7-0 to have any hope of making into the finals..

30 seconds later - San Marino have scored .. :)

Advertisement