Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Sound.
    paragraphs help your cause too.

So tl;dr for your rant?

Some people were abused and were called bad names. Homophobia.

Lots of other people were abused and called bad names but they weren't gay. It's ok though. Probs not a hate crime.

If you want to be a victim, you can. That goes for everyone of any race, creed or ability.

Identity politics is poison. Except most other poisonous identity politics don't involve mentally ill middle aged men and women shoving their rusty trombones in small young kids faces.

It's high time this crap is stopped.

We get it. Some people are gay.

Now just live your own lives and piss off.

Mod

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Identity politics is poison. Except most other poisonous identity politics don't involve mentally ill middle aged men and women shoving their rusty trombones in small young kids faces.

Look at the likes of Paddy Manning.

A decent, good individual who I happen to know personally.

Tells me oppression of gay people is over. Let's move on.

Not enough for our ****lib twats apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If you don’t like it then don’t go to the tiny area of town that it’s on for like an hour then and it won’t be ‘rubbed’ in your face.

Btw it’s not just the parade there’s loads of charity and community work taking place as well.

None for me so far.

If my employer goes down the LGBT mandatory lanyard route I will hand in my notice on grounds of equality.

No organisation would enforce that Ever but that doesn’t serve your hysteria.

Loads of homophobic comments in this thread but glad to hear it’s all over, according to paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having read back through the last few dozen posts, the level of vitriolic nonsense and abuse from I'm assuming gay posters towards anyone with a different view on the subject is frankly ridiculous - FFS I even saw a post suggesting someone get steralised!

If these posts are by straight posters then it's even more farcical - but in any case it does prove my previous point about the problem with many 'liberal' folks nowadays: a dangerously simplistic "anyone not with us is against us!" view of the world and an inability to accept or even properly discuss a topic without resorting to abuse.

It's frankly childish, and like dealing with a toddler who hasn't heard the word "no" enough, and it's definitely far more damaging to the "cause" (LGBT normalisation in this case) than anything I've seen posted here. It's always amusing that far from being accepting, and open-minded they are in fact more intolerant and inflexible than those they would attack.

Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves and their attitudes before they start criticising others for their views - but, that would require a level of awareness and openness that I doubt they possess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

This the same paddy Manning that campaigned against marriage equality ‘as a gay man’ and appeared on every single panel and debate in the run up to the referendum?
    He’s a far right trump loving wing nut. And clearly damaged from something in his past. Definition of self loathing gay. I feel bad for him tbh.

This is why pride is important.
    1 in 5 LGBT teens attempted suicide this past year

‘Stakeholders in public schools need to take responsibility for their roles in creating welcoming environments for queer and trans youth. We are letting them down.

“Less than half of LGBTQ respondents
    were out to an adult at school,
    with youth less likely to disclose their gender identity than sexual orientation”

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/The-Trevor-Project-National-Survey-Results-2019.pdf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Having read back through the last few dozen posts, the level of vitriolic nonsense and abuse from I'm assuming gay posters towards anyone with a different view on the subject is frankly ridiculous - FFS I even saw a post suggesting someone get steralised!

If these posts are by straight posters then it's even more farcical - but in any case it does prove my previous point about the problem with many 'liberal' folks nowadays: a dangerously simplistic "anyone not with us is against us!" view of the world and an inability to accept or even properly discuss a topic without resorting to abuse.

It's frankly childish, and like dealing with a toddler who hasn't heard the word "no" enough, and it's definitely far more damaging to the "cause" (LGBT normalisation in this case) than anything I've seen posted here. It's always amusing that far from being accepting, and open-minded they are in fact more intolerant and inflexible than those they would attack.

Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves and their attitudes before they start criticising others for their views - but, that would require a level of awareness and openness that I doubt they possess.

Just because you're bent out of shape because your favourite tv show introduced a couple of lgbt characters. You say awareness is lacking, I would say empathy is lacking in the case of the majority of posters who are center right in this thread a failure to imagine what it might be like to be other than they are and a refusal to explore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Paddy manning is attacked for being a pro life Conservative, not for being gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This the same paddy Manning that campaigned against marriage equality ‘as a gay man’ and appeared on every single panel and debate in the run up to the referendum?
    He’s a far right trump loving wing nut. And clearly damaged from something in his past. Definition of self loathing gay. I feel bad for him tbh.

You don't feel bad for him, stop lieing

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

His bright orange sign at a protest which just read GAY MAN was a highlight!

Not as good as the holy oven glove and tea towel but close.

I do not in any way feel bad for him or that other well known self loathing gay guy who was at every debate campaigning against gay marriage...who didn't even vote because he was at...eurovision...lol.
    He did get a nice wee free trip to Australia after to protest there as well....that went well..

cloudatlas wrote:
    Loads of homophobic comments in this thread but glad to hear it’s all over, according to paddy.

Lots of false accusations of homophobia too.

Lots of false accusations of homophobia too.
    I could go back through the thread but 51 pages can't be arsed, the backs against the wall comment, all the 'it's being shoved in my face' comments, the thinly veiled I prefer my gays masc and not camp comments, 'why must they go on about being gay' comments reveal an inherent comfortableness with sex and sexuality, even the comment about 'normalisation' which sounds like something out of nazi eugenics hand book. If these people are truly okay with people going about their everyday and being gay then none of this should be a problem its a minority parade that lasts a very short time in town, you don't have to engage with it, you don't have to watch it but according to this thread their is enforced watching of the parade, eye lids are being prised open and you have to engage with the gay community, nope not buying it sorry you don't simply don't go, simply don't watch, simply... don't.

cloudatlas wrote:
    I could go back through the thread but 51 pages can't be arsed, the backs against the wall comment, all the 'it's being shoved in my face' comments, the thinly veiled I prefer my gays masc and not camp comments, 'why must they go on about being gay' comments reveal an inherent comfortableness with sex and sexuality, even the comment about 'normalisation' which sounds like something out of nazi eugenics hand book. If these people are truly okay with people going about their everyday and being gay then none of this should be a problem its a minority parade that lasts a very short time in town, you don't have to engage with it, you don't have to watch it but according to this thread their is enforced watching of the parade, eye lids are being prised open and you have to engage with the gay community, nope not buying it sorry you don't simply don't go, simply don't watch, simply... don't.

Yeah. I haven't seen a lot of people moan about the parade. There has been many questions asked about the suitability for children to attend and the need for pride celebrations to be a month long but with regards to people having a problem with the parade itself? I don't think many (if any) do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I won't be partaking in any pride events probably never will but I'll make up for it by not tolerating prejudice and standing up for any victims of intimidation or bullying I encounter on my travels. No excuse for homophobia or racism in this day and age and that's why pride is a good thing.

Yeah. I haven't seen a lot of people moan about the parade. There has been many questions asked about the suitability for children to attend and the need for pride celebrations to be a month long but with regards to people having a problem with the parade itself? I don't think many (if any) do.

The question of the thread is are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month? My niece is coming to the pride breakfast with me, I'm sure some on this thread will clutch their pearls... but there have been most definitely homophobic comments in this thread and comments that are tinged with disgust and lack sex positivity. There are other month long events as you well know. Its just a way for various organisations bookshops, charities, muscians to hold events over a long period in small venues for a couple of hours. Again you very much don't have to attend nobody is shoving it in your face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The question of the thread is are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month? My niece is coming to the pride breakfast with me, I'm sure some on this thread will clutch their pearls... but there have been most definitely homophobic comments in this thread and comments that are tinged with disgust and lack sex positivity. There are other month long events as you well know. Its just a way for various organisations bookshops, charities, muscians to hold events over a long period in small venues for a couple of hours. Again you very much don't have to attend nobody is shoving it in your face :)
    I hope you and your niece enjoy it, I have heard it is a lot of fun.
    I agree some of the events around pride are excellent, I went to one with Lydia Foy which I found fascinating and really eye opening, it focussed on transgender rights etc

cloudatlas wrote:
    The question of the thread is are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month? My niece is coming to the pride breakfast with me, I'm sure some on this thread will clutch their pearls... but there have been most definitely homophobic comments in this thread and comments that are tinged with disgust and lack sex positivity. There are other month long events as you well know. Its just a way for various organisations bookshops, charities, muscians to hold events over a long period in small venues for a couple of hours. Again you very much don't have to attend nobody is shoving it in your face

I genuinely hope you and your niece have a great time. Enjoy every minute.

There’s that one protester guy that’s been at every single Pride I’ve been to. If you’ve been you’ll have seen him. With the glasses and the John 3:16 sign.

He runs ahead of the March. Stands there with his sign. And when the March has passed he runs all the way to the front of it again.

I don’t know where he gets the energy.

Least he shows up and knows what actually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There’s that one protester guy that’s been at every single Pride I’ve been to. If you’ve been you’ll have seen him. With the glasses and the John 3:16 sign.

He runs ahead of the March. Stands there with his sign. And when the March has passed he runs all the way to the front of it again.

I don’t know where he gets the energy.

Least he shows up and knows what actually happens.

Is that the guy who stands opposite the GPO with his microphone telling us how we're all going to hell? He seems to be there a lot on Saturday evenings.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is that the guy who stands opposite the GPO with his microphone telling us how we're all going to hell? He seems to be there a lot on Saturday evenings.

Possibly?

Least he has the guts to protest against the gays to their faces rather than the insipid and relentlessly stupid keyboard warrior nonsense we see on here.

‘I have no problem with the gays BUT’

Please fvck all the way off, anyone and everyone using this as grounds for debate. You look like an idiot when you do it and it’s just so transparent it’s pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cloudatlas wrote: »
    God I liked your little homophobic rant at the end there, being masc gay is okay but not if you act fey, of course. Yes you are the epitome of accepting we don't need pride at all, just hide away inside. All those complaining about pride being flamboyant don't complain about halloween which is basically straight pride where straight people dress up in 'sexy' outfits and converge on the city centre on mass. Just because of gay marriage does not mean that there is total acceptance unfortunately things don't just magically change over night especially for trans people. A gay lad was beaten badly in Cavan, a lesbian couple on a bus in London were attacked. Get over yourself The other absurd comment on this thread was the link between gay pride, pro immigration hypocrisy good lord on that one. Plenty of people fleeing homophobic regimes seeking asylum here. Also the people saying that they are going to get drunk with their straight mates for pride etc., one of the problems is that multi nationals, mainly banks have turned it into a corporate festival and as soon as people see capitalist symbols they think that it's a free for all and that they should participate and that they know how to act appropriately which judging by the insensitivity in this thread ye don't have a clue so please stay away instead of coming pretending that you are part of it and then getting drunk and acting the pr1ck to someone because you have no understanding.

Talking of absurd comments, equating Halloween and hetrosexuals with pride is just weird.

You don't see hetrosexuals having parades declaring their hetrosexuality.

If homosexuals want to be equal its time to behave as though you are instead of having a declaration of how different you are.

Hetrosexual couples get beaten up to. Time to grow up boys and girls. Play with the grown ups and stop throwing your toys out of the pram with accusations when someone disagrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Talking of absurd comments, equating Halloween and hetrosexuals with pride is just weird.

You don't see hetrosexuals having parades declaring their hetrosexuality.

If homosexuals want to be equal its time to behave as though you are instead of having a declaration of how different you are.

Hetrosexual couples get beaten up to. Time to grow up boys and girls. Play with the grown ups and stop throwing your toys out of the pram with accusations when someone disagrees with you.

Heterosexual couples dont get beaten up because they are heterosexual. End of story. So quit your whataboutery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Heterosexual couples dont get beaten up because they are heterosexual. End of story. So quit your whataboutery.

No. And not all instances of violence against gay people is homophobia.

No. And not all instances of violence against gay people is homophobia.

I never said it was. More pointless whataboutery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I never said it was. More pointless whataboutery.

As I said, time for you to stop throwing the accusations when someone disagrees with you.

Just to balance things up...an interesting article from the UK on discrimination against hetrosexual couples.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/supreme-court-victory-for-heterosexual-couple-in-civil-partnership-fight-851422.html

As I said, time for you to stop throwing the accusations when someone disagrees with you.

Meh. Like seriously its the end of the wirld cause you were accused of whataboutery.

Terry Pratchet

Meh.

Thanks for confirming my point :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Does having an Allied Irish over lezzer porn count?

Advertisement