Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible fire risk, now im stressed

• 05-06-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I've just taken a look at the fuseboard in my mams place were im staying at the mo and im a bit worried to say the least.

To the right of the main box theres a small white box a bit smaller tham a pack of smokes. Over it theres the typical black marks from burning or overheating plastic.

Ive attached pics, just wondering what is that box for, could it be to do woth the alarm or Triton shower.... And should i be ****ten myself and callimg a sparks first thing tomorrow?

I've a 2 year old here with me which doesn't help!

Its an old house, many of the sockets make a buzz when you plug stuff in which already has me uneasy and now this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah that doesn't look great, looks like there is some sort of connection in there that's been overheating.

If it hasn't burnt the place down yet it's unlikely to go all of a sudden but maybe stop using the electric shower just in case it is the feed to that as it's a high load item and get the board checked out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Call someone in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Tails142 wrote: »
    Yeah that doesn't look great, looks like there is some sort of connection in there that's been overheating.

If it hasn't burnt the place down yet it's unlikely to go all of a sudden but maybe stop using the electric shower just in case it is the feed to that as it's a high load item and get the board checked out ASAP.

Yeah I'll have to, cant risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭denismc

Those fuses are antiques, looks and sounds like the whole house may need rewiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

denismc wrote: »
    Those fuses are antiques, looks and sounds like the whole house may need rewiring.

Not necassarily -its an old fuseboard system but that dosn't mean you have to upgrade it. My parents fuseboard is like this & everything is eartjed & wirks ok as far as safety is voncerned.

Re the small white box - is that cable scorched? At least its earthed! And my pc buzzes when I plug it in - too msny extension leads and things plugged in on the same load - not a wiring issue.

You sound very nervous. How long are you staying at your moms for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Not necassarily -its an old fuseboard system but that dosn't mean you have to upgrade it. My parents fuseboard is like this & everything is eartjed & wirks ok as far as safety is voncerned.

Re the small white box - is that cable scorched? At least its earthed! And my pc buzzes when I plug it in - too msny extension leads and things plugged in on the same load - not a wiring issue.

You sound very nervous. How long are you staying at your moms for?

A year or so. I don't have the money for a rewire but maybe new fuse box would help, i assume they just trip when overloaded unlike the current yoke that melts

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

italodisco wrote: »
    Folks,
    I've just taken a look at the fuseboard in my mams place were im staying at the mo and im a bit worried to say the least.

To the right of the main box theres a small white box a bit smaller tham a pack of smokes. Over it theres the typical black marks from burning or overheating plastic.

Ive attached pics, just wondering what is that box for, could it be to do woth the alarm or Triton shower.... And should i be ****ten myself and callimg a sparks first thing tomorrow?

I've a 2 year old here with me which doesn't help!

Its an old house, many of the sockets make a buzz when you plug stuff in which already has me uneasy and now this!!!

Can you turn all the power off and remove the cover from the small white box? The cables don't look big enough for what would be needed for an electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's most likely the step down for the doorbell.

It's probably fried.

Try removing cover and having a look.

Might need a new bell transformer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is it originally a corporation house? It was their practice in some places to have the bell traffo wired in a module outside the board and in 1.5 sw.mm single cables
    I can't tell from the picture what the cables are going into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rc3

That's a door bell transformer just needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Rc3

From the picture you can see shower RCBO is mounted bottom right of mcb board

Advertisement