Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50 years of Mondello on RTE

• 04-06-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Golden Mondello: From Grass to Glory

Programme celebrating 50 years of Irish Motorsport at Mondello Park, the internationally renowned race-track converted from farmland in 1968.

--

Just happened to see this yesterday on RTE1, so I assume it will be on the player for a bit. Was really interesting, great footage from 1968 to date, interviews with people such as Edie Jordan, Derek Daly, Michael Roe, Eddie Laycock, Rosemary Smith and many more. An hour long show well worth a look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm glad I got home in time to catch it.
    A real Bank Holiday treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It's also available to download if you have sky q. No ads either so 50 mins in total. A good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thought it seemed a bit rushed...too much focus on the four wheels too..imo...loved all the lads on the Dunlop sign...H and S nightmare thesedays..:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

...too much focus on the four wheels too..imo...

Agreed, would have liked to see more bikes, and karts, but a very enjoyable show still.

I was thinking (and am very open to be corrected here), they listed all the drivers that made it to the big time, and it was very impressive indeed considering what Ireland was like back then, but, we have not produced any very successful riders, not in the South anyway. Did anyone apart from Eddie Laycock make it to GP level? I'm not counting road racing as that's really a uniquely Irish thing, IMHO

Advertisement