Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethical quandry

• 04-06-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

OK so I order some food in a fairly popular franchise, specifically ask no mayo and it's noted. Food provided. Eating it. Half way through the veggie burger falls apart and I notice this white stuff which probably is mayo, ask the waiter, he confirms its mayo.

I was offered a refund or to wait for another burger to be done without mayo. I just got the refund. My other half took exception at the food waste which is a fair point.

What would you have done?

Would you eat a half eaten meal which has animal products in? 13 votes

Eat it.
    69% 9 votes
    Leave it.
    30% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Refund is better, followed by poor publicity for the business wherever you can and don't support the business ever again.

Businesses should be obliged to compost food 'waste' (it's not) so it's not 'wasted'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Refund is better, followed by poor publicity for the business wherever you can and don't support the business ever again.

Businesses should be obliged to compost food 'waste' (it's not) so it's not 'wasted'.

Bit extreme no? I mean humans make mistakes.

Makes you wonder how many other mistakes one consumes by trusting in restaurants...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

most chains have a default mode of adding mayo to everything ( no idea why - it's rotten)
    I'd imagine the 'Chef' was just on auto pilot. Happens to me all the time

I'm forgiving of mistakes but chains should be able to put in place specific guidelines (and train the staff in them of course) on how to deal with dietary choices. I don't think it's extreme to call out these places - they want the customer's money, then they should provide what the customer wants, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Call them out.
    Animal products involve extreme processes.

• Advertisement

auspicious wrote: »
    Call them out.
    Animal products involve extreme processes.

I agree but many veg*ns shop at Tesco or Lidl et al. I was in a place recently that did excellent vegan food (and were 100% aware of vegan issues with contamination etc) and we were surrounded by mussel and squid eaters on other tables.

This can be a quandary - a place that understands dietary choices such as veg*nism can be a breath of fresh air but they're following the money too and veg*ns tend to be highly social animals.

I might be getting slightly off-topic, sorry. Defo. rambling a bit. Must be the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

If you order vegan and get animal it's not near good enough.
    It's higher on the ladder than say a hair or nail or fly in your meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

auspicious wrote: »
    If you order vegan and get animal it's not near good enough.
    It's higher on the ladder than say a hair or nail or fly in your meal!

Yeah if the place had said "No we can't do it without mayo..." fair enough. But it's ****ty when you find out what was a meal you were enjoying turns out to be at the expense of someone else...

I wont eat in the place again because now I'm wondering whether even without the cheese and mayo was everything else animal free!

Advertisement