Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 238 Cejudo vs Moraes Sat, Jun 8th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great first round, hard to say who’ll win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Surely that merits a point deduction or something? Blatant hit after the bell

Unfortunate way to end it, but Tony’s late punch didn’t cause that so it should be a TKO win for him. Never, ever blow your nose if it’s broken, been watching this sport long enough to know that. It must be very hard not to though, to be fair.

Real anticlimax of an ending, but Tony was absolutely piecing him up. The right result but the way it finished left a bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Who's the poster on here that hates Cowboy? I don't get it. Fights constantly, generally exciting fights, and always seems like a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

^I think that's because of an alleged story of him being a dick.

Ref should have taken a point from ferguson. Why are refs so reluctant to do this!

Ferguson was rightly awarded the fight though.

Skill gap is pretty massive here, as expected. Had Valentina taking this on points, but I think she’ll get the submission within the next two rounds.

Jeeeeeeeesus. That was absolutely brutal.

OMFG

Great to see Eye back on her feet already, that was easily one of the most sickening KOs I’ve seen in women’s MMA.

• Advertisement

Love Bullet, the woman is an assassin and imo should be 135 champ too as I had her beating Nunes.

Not too sure about that celebration though...I know its her national dancing style but, well, its almost like CMG or Joe duffy broke out in a little session of Riverdance after winning their fight. Morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

That was a mauling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

ASOT wrote: »
    Can't wait for this card, bolded my picks above. Really good card on paper top to bottom imo.

7/9 and not one bet did I do, disaster.

Great card overall imo. Big anti climax on the people's main event though

Fantastic performance from Henry, made serious adjustments from the first round and on a bad leg to get the W. Has to be top 3 pound-for-pound after that.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fantastic performance from Henry, made serious adjustments from the first round and on a bad leg to get the W. Has to be top 3 pound-for-pound after that.

He's a true champ, absolute cringe machine but he's class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ASOT wrote: »
    He's a true champ, absolute cringe machine but he's class.

He's not just a triple champ, he's a quadruple champ. Flyweight champ, Bantamweight champ, Olympic champ and cringe champ.

He's not just a triple champ, he's a quadruple champ. Flyweight champ, Bantamweight champ, Olympic champ and cringe champ.

Not for long though, he’s defending the cringe title against Chris Weidman’s auld fella in Vegas this December.

AntiqueCreepyAtlanticblackgoby-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Moraes I though lost his cool in that fight after he got tagged by Cejudo early in.the second round. He started taking him on at close range which was really stupid. In the first round he stayed out, used his feet very well and set up some good combos. He won the first round easily. I thought to myself that another round and a half of that and he'd have his way with Cejudo.
    It was very foolish to get involved in clinches with Cejudo and he paid the price.
    Real pity how the real main event, Tony vs Cowboy, went down. I do.think that it was a good thing for Cowboy though because he wasn't going to be able to see out of his right eye in the final round.
    Last word for Shevchenko, that girl might end up a movie star. That kick was just evil. The power, the technique and how she set it up with the three earlier kicks to the body. Without doubt the most dominant female in mma.
    That shocking kick is the stuff of legends. It gives her huge street cred and I can see movie producers fawning all over her now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Watching it last night I thought Valentina didn't fill contact with Jessica but on watching this morning and playing with rewind and stuff can see it. Woman is a beast seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I know that the fight got stopped because Cowboy couldn't see out of his eye - which in turn was caused by him blowing his broken nose but was it Ferguson's late punch that broke the nose? What I'm getting at is, was the fight indirectly caused by the punch after the buzzer? Really crapy way to end - especially since Ferguson was likely to win regardless.

• Advertisement

I know that the fight got stopped because Cowboy couldn't see out of his eye - which in turn was caused by him blowing his broken nose but was it Ferguson's late punch that broke the nose? What I'm getting at is, was the fight indirectly caused by the punch after the buzzer? Really crapy way to end - especially since Ferguson was likely to win regardless.

I'd say it was the 40 other bunches he took to the nose during the round that done the damage, he even said so himself that he wouldn't blame the shot after the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cejudo is some bellend. Fair play to him great fighter though.

The Nal wrote: »
    Cejudo is some bellend. Fair play to him great fighter though.

He must have one of the least attractive personalities in the entire sport. The whole "Marlon is a Beast and looked HUGE and is so strong" schtick as thinly veiled, "I am in fact God" is so awful. He did win though so there's that...

Valentina is just terrifying.

Cowboy - Ferguson was fun, pity about the ending but right outcome. Felt a bit sad for Tony, but fair play to Cowboy being such a gracious loser. Was well in his rights to have a strop but he handled that so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I just finished watching this and liked the event. Sometimes I feel bad just for watching this sport which I know is ridiculous. I never want to see that knockout of Jessica Eye ever again. Also I really wish they would go back to a 2 person commentary team, 1 expert and 1 colour guy is much better instead of having 2 experts just repeating the same thing over and over. Cormier and Rogan all but said Karolina Kowalkiewicz should retire and I think there was a fighter "in big trouble" in every fight last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Great card.

Grasso and Aljo looked really good.

Ferguson Cerrone was great while it lasted up but Tony pieced him up after the first. Fight was only going one way in the third. Cowboy probably saved himself a world of hurt.

That Valentina kick was the sickest KO in quite a while. Real highlight reel stuff. There is nobody with any real chance vs her in that division. Champ v champ against Nunes in the future would be cool.

Henry is a beast. Fantastic adjustments after getting well beaten in the first. Took Marlon apart then, on the feet as well which I wasn’t expecting. Hope he gets the credit he deserves now because everyone thought Marlon was the champion in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Shevchenko by Sub
    only got to watch the card last night but it certainly did deliver.

some seriously cracking fights. Tony looks great i really think he could give khabib a run for his money.

can someone explain to me what actually happens when you blow your nose to cause your eye to become so bad?

Shevshenkos knock out was so scary. I honestly got nervous for eye when she was still out after a few secs. cant see anyone beating her for a while.

I wont lie i thought henry was going to be stream rolled by marlon. very impressive to see henry make adjustments and come out and totally change his gameplan
    strange who he called out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    can someone explain to me what actually happens when you blow your nose to cause your eye to become so bad?

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1137788826397675520

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great card. Ferguson v Cowboy was a decent first round but it went majorly downhill, with speed, for Cowboy in the 2nd. It actually reminded me of Max v Ortega in that way.

After the second round, his eye was swollen but he could see. I actually noticed while watching that he blew it while gearing up for RD3, it was captured on camera, and within about 30 seconds it had swollen shut.

Good scrap though.

I have to say I've never particularly enjoyed watching Tuivasa fight nor been overly impressed with his performances. He seems far too one dimensional to me...I know you get away with that a lot more in that weight division and jhe wouldn't be the only one, but I've never quite agreed with some of the praise heaped upon him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mangobob wrote: »
    Love Bullet, the woman is an assassin and imo should be 135 champ too as I had her beating Nunes.

Not too sure about that celebration though...I know its her national dancing style but, well, its almost like CMG or Joe duffy broke out in a little session of Riverdance after winning their fight. Morto.

You don't like Lezginka? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Finally got around to watching this after hearing the results.
    Valentina is serious. Those kicks were like she was hitting Jessica with a baseball bat.

Advertisement