Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing standard socket with USB socket

Options
  • 01-06-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Is replacing a normal socket with a USB socket a like for like replacement and a minor electrical work ?

In other words can I do it myself legally - I have changed sockets before and it looks the very same - I just don't want to mess up my house insurance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Minor works & if you are competent you are allowed to do it.

Two biggest DIY mistakes imo are not screwing in tight enough on the terminals and buying cheap sockets. Both can be fire hazards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Watched a documentary about counterfeit products from China, including sockets etc.

Things to not to buy online from unknown sources, so the other poster advice is spot on.

Buy from reputable seller, preferably brick and mortar store just in case. No matter how tempting aliexpress, eBay etc can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Minor works & if you are competent you are allowed to do it.

Two biggest DIY mistakes imo are not screwing in tight enough on the terminals and buying cheap sockets. Both can be fire hazards
    thanks for the good advice i got them in Woodies and Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

You may be very tight for space behind socket, depending on original installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have a similar question but with light switches- I like the ones you get on the continent where the switch is a big square that takes up the entire unit. Is there any reason I shouldnt install these? Wont be installing myself but dont want to buy something from Germany that won't conform or work safely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have a similar question but with light switches- I like the ones you get on the continent where the switch is a big square that takes up the entire unit. Is there any reason I shouldnt install these? Wont be installing myself but dont want to buy something from Germany that won't conform or work safely

No issues once the correct back box is installed. Sometimes a different type is used on the continent.

Advertisement