Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance cover query with Garda consequences

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

coylemj wrote: »
    The owner's insurance did not cover other drivers and the OP has no insurance of his own.

The more I read the thread, the less complex it appears. Van, car, truck, motorbike.... the OP was not covered to drive the vehicle, period.
    OP has insurance on his own vehicle. Depending on the exact wording and interpretation of that insurance policy and the circumstances in which he was driving the van he may (or may not) be covered by the driving other vehicles clause of his own insurance. Hence the advice to get expert opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

OP has insurance on his own vehicle. Depending on the exact wording and interpretation of that insurance policy and the circumstances in which he was driving the van he may (or may not) be covered by the driving other vehicles clause of his own insurance. Hence the advice to get expert opinion.

Post #6

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP has insurance on his own vehicle.
    I dont have insurance.....
    Depending on the exact wording and interpretation of that insurance policy and the circumstances in which he was driving the van he may (or may not) be covered by the driving other vehicles clause of his own insurance. Hence the advice to get expert opinion.

Even if the OP did have a policy in his own name and he did have 'driving other cars', he would not be covered to drive a van if he was insured with any of these companies and that is regardless of the purpose of the trip or whether there was goods onboard or not....

Liberty ('driving other cars') ..

This extension applies while being driven within the territorial limits and only to private passenger cars. It does not include:

vans
    car-vans
    crew cabs
    jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back
    vans adapted to carry passengers or
    any vehicles taxed commercially

Allianz.....

Endorsement No 4 – Driving other Cars

We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car.......

FBD ('Third party driving of other cars')

This extension applies to private passenger cars driven with the owner’s permission only.

Aviva ('Driving other cars')

This cover will only apply if –

9. the motor vehicle being driven is solely a Private car. This cover does not include the driving of any commercial vehicles, camper vehicles, vans, car-vans, vans adapted to carry passengers or vehicles used for hire or reward such as a taxi or a hackney car;

Axa (1b Driving other cars)

This extension applies only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include vans, car-vans, jeeps with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry passengers.

RSA (via 123.ie) Section 2 Driving other Motor Cars

We will cover ........... while You are driving any private motor car with the owner’s permission, providing:

(iv) it is not a car-van with only 2 seats or less, nor a motorcycle nor commercial vehicle of any kind;

• Registered Users Posts: 28 random voice

I tried talking to the guard, he took great pleasure in once again highlighting my bad driving, he specifically mentioned me being insured for that particular vehicle - i am not. I expect to be summonsed and go to court. I do not wish to attempt insurance fraud on top of the original offence. Its too bad there are cops out looking to up there tally of convictions on soft targets and are invisible when it comes to tackling hardened criminals. I accept my shortcomings and just hope the old man doesnt get into trouble also as he was a passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Best advice. Also, go when it might be busier

This is interesting and seems logical. (Better Call Saul kinda stuff).;-)

• Advertisement

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    This is interesting and seems logical. (Better Call Saul kinda stuff).;-)

It is completely not logical advice. It's frankly stupid advice because the poster is advising the OP to show up at a Garda station with an insurance cert. with someone else's name on it and no provision for other drivers.

The first thing the Garda at the desk will tell him is: 'this cert. only covers the policyholder. Which is not you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I tried talking to the guard, he took great pleasure in once again highlighting my bad driving, he specifically mentioned me being insured for that particular vehicle - i am not. I expect to be summonsed and go to court. I do not wish to attempt insurance fraud on top of the original offence. Its too bad there are cops out looking to up there tally of convictions on soft targets and are invisible when it comes to tackling hardened criminals. I accept my shortcomings and just hope the old man doesnt get into trouble also as he was a passenger.

Its easy to pass it off as an over zealous Gard, but what would have happened if you'd hit someone and injured them?

Driving without insurance is well outside "ah sure itll be grand" territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 random voice

I didnt know I didnt have insurance!!! I came on here for advice not for a lesson in morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I didnt know I didnt have insurance!!! I came on here for advice not for a lesson in morality.

I know you didn't, you covered it at the start. But you still seem to continue with the narrative that the Gard was somehow at fault or should just let you away with it and if he doesn't hes a prick.

You might attract less attention from the high-horse brigade if you didn't come out with nonsense like this.....
    Its too bad there are cops out looking to up there tally of convictions on soft targets and are invisible when it comes to tackling hardened criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The best you can do is engage a solicitor then attend court. If presented like this you might get offered the poor box route to avoid a conviction. Expect it to be at least as much as the potential fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Justin33631

Ignorance is no excuse. "Doing a favour for an old man." Rubbish.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The best you can do is engage a solicitor then attend court. If presented like this you might get offered the poor box route to avoid a conviction. Expect it to be at least as much as the potential fine.

Although the OP has expressed the wish that the 'old man' (the van owner) doesn't get into trouble, this might be the only way for the OP to avoid a conviction and a heavy fine.

It would go something like this: the Garda summons the owner for permitting someone to drive his vehicle without insurance and the OP for driving without insurance. Both of them appear in court and the 'old man' admits that he told the OP that he was insured but later realised that he didn't have open driving. Old man gets hammered with a big fine while the OP gets to make a donation to the court poor box, the judge applies the Probation Act and the OP avoids a conviction.

If the OP alone is summonsed, his excuse won't really wash. The judge will have heard every excuse in the book and that one won't get much sympathy. One of them has to take a hit and if the owner is not summonsed, the OP will get a conviction and a big fine. You need a seriously good excuse to avoid a conviction for driving with no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You need qualified legal advice, and you won't get it here. Another thread of opinions with little or no fact.

Hoboo wrote: »
    You need qualified legal advice, and you won't get it here. Another thread of opinions with little or no fact.

We have all the facts we need. Even the OP admits he was not covered to drive the van. There is no conceivable way he was insured.

You're suggesting that 'qualified legal advice' could come up with a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We have all the facts we need. Even the OP admits he was not covered to drive the van. There is no conceivable way he was insured.

Yeah. That's the best course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Although the OP has expressed the wish that the 'old man' (the van owner) doesn't get into trouble, this might be the only way for the OP to avoid a conviction and a heavy fine.

It would go something like this: the Garda summons the owner for permitting someone to drive his vehicle without insurance and the OP for driving without insurance. Both of them appear in court and the 'old man' admits that he told the OP that he was insured but later realised that he didn't have open driving. Old man gets hammered with a big fine while the OP gets to make a donation to the court poor box, the judge applies the Probation Act and the OP avoids a conviction.

If the OP alone is summonsed, his excuse won't really wash. The judge will have heard every excuse in the book and that one won't get much sympathy. One of them has to take a hit and if the owner is not summonsed, the OP will get a conviction and a big fine. You need a seriously good excuse to avoid a conviction for driving with no insurance.

The variation in court districts is extremely broad in terms of what is “acceptable”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Tally up their convictions? You were driving without insurance whether you knew it or not. If you hit a pedestrian you'd be in a world of ****. Take your medicine, move on and learn from your mistake

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never assume you are covered OP. You've made a pretty big error and will have to deal with the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A solution? He never requested a solution. Nor did I suggest he would find one. Read the OP again.

Case in point, more unqualified drivel for the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its easy to pass it off as an over zealous Gard, but what would have happened if you'd hit someone and injured them?

Driving without insurance is well outside "ah sure itll be grand" territory.

Ffs, he asked for advice, not for your moralising.

If he had hit and injured someone they would've been covered by the MIBI. Yeah, he'd be in ****, but it wouldn't be anyone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ffs, he asked for advice, not for your moralising.

If he had hit and injured someone they would've been covered by the MIBI. Yeah, he'd be in ****, but it wouldn't be anyone else's problem.
    Well except for the person that was injured/killed. Oh and everyone else who has insurance that pays into the fund mibi uses to payout...

I'm alright Jack, at it's finest

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Quick summary ;
    1. Owner's insurance did not cover driver.
    2. Driver has no insurance to cover this.

Who is open to a charge of driving with no insurance ?
    1. The owner.
    2. The driver.

Where is the relevant law on this ?
    RTA 1961 Section 56.
    link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/56/enacted/en/html#sec56

IMHO on the evidence it seems that a presumption of guilt lies against both putative defendants. Many of these RTA type offences fall in to the realms of strict liability i.e. once incriminating facts are established guilt is presumed and defendant carries the burden of escaping culpability.

Although OP was definitely not covered by insurance it is not an automatic conviction for driving without insurance if he can establish reasonable doubt about the circumstances in which he came to be driving without insurance. e.g. erroneous information from the owner about insurance cover which the driver did not have proper reason to doubt or query. This would be a hard case to make but it is actually possible with some good advocacy !

It would be a real Hail Mary job but could OP argue that he was a servant of the owner as per subsection 6 of S.56 ;

(6) Where a person charged with an offence under this section was the servant of the owner of the vehicle, it shall be a good defence to the charge for the person to show that he was using the vehicle in obedience to the express orders of the owner.

Ultimately it will be for OP's solicitor to advise on how to plead.

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Although OP was definitely not covered by insurance it is not an automatic conviction for driving without insurance if he can establish reasonable doubt about the circumstances in which he came to be driving without insurance. e.g. erroneous information from the owner about insurance cover which the driver did not have proper reason to doubt or query. This would be a hard case to make but it is actually possible with some good advocacy !

Sorry but you're making out that 'I thought I was insured' is a good defence, it is not. Judges hear those excuses every day they sit, they don't get you anywhere except maybe a small amount of mitigation. If you're looking for a fool's pardon, you won't get one in the traffic court when it comes to driving without insurance.

And the 'servant' (of the owner) defence won't stand up. OP would need to show that he was an employee of the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Sorry but you're making out that 'I thought I was insured' is a good defence, it is not. Judges hear those excuses every day they sit, they don't get you anywhere except maybe a small amount of mitigation. If you're looking for a fool's pardon, you won't get one in the traffic court when it comes to driving without insurance.

And the 'servant' (of the owner) defence won't stand up. OP would need to show that he was an employee of the owner.

So, are there no circumstances in which a person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance will be acquitted in the District Court ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    So, are there no circumstances in which a person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance will be acquitted in the District Court ?

Go ahead then, quote your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I am not citing any authority.

I am simply querying the universal proposition that you offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance can successfully raise such a defence (it is difficult to raise successfully however) depending on the facts.

This derives from the A.G. (Hayes) vs Downes [1959] 93 ILTR case. The Supreme Court Kinsella vs The Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland [1997] 3 IR 586 case is also worth a mention.

The 1959 case showed that the master/servant clause was not limited to employer/employee relationships - it dealt with the 1933 Act, but it had identical provisions to the 1961 Act, if you drive a vehicle to the expressed orders of the owner then you can raise the defence irrespective of the relationship.

Also, as per O'Sullivan J in the Bracken vs Commissioner of AGS [1998] IEHC 130 case in dealing with the principles of the 1997 case:-
    Whilst I accept, of course, that the construction of clause 5(2) of the agreement under consideration in Kinsella gives rise to different considerations than does the construction of the statutory provisions requiring the driver of a motor vehicle to be insured, I am satisfied nonetheless that the approach of the Supreme Court in Kinsella is one which should influence my approach to the question whether the Applicant "ought to have known" on the 18th October, 1995 that in fact he was not insured. Even without the observations of the then Chief Justice in Kinsella I would have thought that it is illogical and in the teeth of common sense to expect the driver of a vehicle who is given what appears to be a perfectly valid insurance certificate covering his driving thereof to in fact anticipate that due to circumstances not known to him and not under his control the policy would be repudiated by the insurance company some sixteen months later

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Being covered by insurance is pretty definitive - you either are or you aren't.

Arguing that you thought that you thought that you were when you actually weren't might get you some sympathy in court, but it won't shift the indemnity.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    A person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance can successfully raise such a defence (it is difficult to raise successfully however) depending on the facts.

Be my guest and suggest a set of circumstances not involving the relationship of master/servant where there would be a defence?
    GM228 wrote: »
    The 1959 case showed that the master/servant clause was not limited to employer/employee relationships - it dealt with the 1933 Act, but it had identical provisions to the 1961 Act, if you drive a vehicle to the expressed orders of the owner then you can raise the defence irrespective of the relationship.

If the owner is not your employer, how can he order you to drive the vehicle? To the the point where you have a valid defence aginst a charge of driving uninsured?

Advertisement