Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Office (home or student)

• 21-05-2019 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    First off apologies if this is in the wrong section - I think it's where it should be but please move to correct area if not..Thanks.

Question:

I gave my daughter my laptop which had licence no 2 (I hope not no 3!) of 3 on it - I wiped the computer completely before giving it to her - if I insert the disk and it asks for the verification key does that mean its my last licence used although it was on that laptop prior to being wiped?:confused: I want to save the last licence for my own future use if possible...

Im going to search to see if the student or home versions of Microsoft Office are still out there, cause I refuse to pay per year for something used once a month if that! Same for my daughter - its only to update her CV and enable her to upload it on a memory stick and print it somewhere!

Appreciate any tips! Thanks:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Moved from Open Source - hopefully there will be more knowledge on this topic here.

ps. unless you want information on the open source (& free) document editing software :) I use Libre Office myself but Open Office is also popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

croo wrote: »
    Moved from Open Source - hopefully there will be more knowledge on this topic here.

ps. unless you want information on the open source (& free) document editing software :) I use Libre Office myself but Open Office is also popular.

Thanks for that! Id have never found this:D

Personally I can't stand open office. They use it in one of the offices I work in and its a matter of getting used to but can be a pain at times - slight variations.
    However if its the only option then I'll use it and give the daughter the MS Word to know what she's doing with CV's and it being compatible when sending as an email attachment and so on! Cheers for the help!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

mumof2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Id have never found this:D
    No problem.
    Personally I can't stand open office. They use it in one of the offices I work in and its a matter of getting used to but can be a pain at times - slight variations.
    All these office suites look different but they all so the same to me unless you're doing something really complex documents - books or academic papers for example.
    However if its the only option
    Sounds like you have the licenses but I'm not sure how it works - hopefully someone here can explain how it works.
    ... and it being compatible when sending as an email attachment and so on! Cheers for the help!
    The output from the various open office version are compatible, you might need to save it explicitly as a word compatible format (or change the default format setting)- if the CV is sent as a PDF you can be certain it looks exactly as you expected on the other person's machine! And you can create a pdf directly from open/libre office.

Good luck with the license hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What version office you have, what license type

MS Office(2013, 2016) licenses are tied to hardware and in case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat".

You should be able to manage your license "seats" within your Microsoft Live account if need to transfer office to new/other computer with 2013 and 2016 versions
    https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/download-and-install-or-reinstall-office-2016-or-office-2013-7c695b06-6d1a-4917-809c-98ce43f86479

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    No problem.

All these office suites look different but they all so the same to me unless you're doing something really complex documents - books or academic papers for example.

Sounds like you have the licenses but I'm not sure how it works - hopefully someone here can explain how it works.

The output from the various open office version are compatible, you might need to save it explicitly as a word compatible format (or change the default format setting)- if the CV is sent as a PDF you can be certain it looks exactly as you expected on the other person's machine! And you can create a pdf directly from open/libre office.

Good luck with the license hunt.

Thanks for everything!

What version office you have, what license type

I have Microsoft office Home and student 2007. Very old but perfect for the job.

MS Office(2013, 2016) licenses are tied to hardware and in case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat".

We will try and see what happens.

You should be able to manage your license "seats" within your Microsoft Live account if need to transfer office to new/other computer with 2013 and 2016 versions
    https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/download-and-install-or-reinstall-office-2016-or-office-2013-7c695b06-6d1a-4917-809c-98ce43f86479

Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated 😊

I have Microsoft office Home and student 2007. Very old but perfect for the job.
    Still tied to hardware and in case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat", license key will be required.
    Office 2007 reached its end of support on October 10, 2017

Still tied to hardware and in case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat", license key will be required.
    Office 2007 reached its end of support on October 10, 2017

When you say tied to hardware - does that mean depends on whether the pc or laptop is capable of working with it? It did on the laptop I gave my daughter so I’ll see if she can download the install link (no disc drive on the laptop and we live a few hours from each other), then I’ll give her the activation key once it prompts for it. Fingers crossed. Hope to do it over the phone with her tonight. Fingers crossed. If not (because if no support etc we will look at something else. I will not pay a monthly or yearly fee though!
    Thanks again!!!

It has record of hardware ID( motherboard in particular).
    "In case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat""
    If, after initial activation, you would replace motherboard, this license "seat" would be waisted. I don't think Microsoft would assist you with transfer as product is out of support.

• Advertisement

It has record of hardware ID( motherboard in particular).
    "In case of re-installation should activate without consuming additional license "seat""
    If, after initial activation, you would replace motherboard, this license "seat" would be waisted. I don't think Microsoft would assist you with transfer as product is out of support.

Ah, thanks for the clarification - makes sense. On her laptop I didn't take out any hardware.

Daughter was down with a migraine yesterday evening so we will try the software install again soon. I am hopeful it should work! Thanks again:):)

Advertisement