Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Can I sue the manufacturer of my car if I drive pissed?
    I mean they should be supervising me or providing prominent instruction inside the car to tell me that I shouldn't be driving drunk, right?
    How can I be expected to take responsibility for my own actions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Although that photo would be comedy gold... Wonder if it was the hotels photographer and they have the evidence.

I'm guessing the hotel has security cameras in all public areas, including where this idiot was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

what caught my attention was in the writ where it said "she was caused to fall..." by what? gravity? Is that getting sued too?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

All joking aside but this is the very reason we live in a society today with a nanny state attitude. Nobody accepts any responsibility for their own stupidity..

absolutely everything legislated against compo culture in this country disgusts me even our politicians at it..

and only messes up everything for everyone big insurance premiums for business etc ,

will be no more swing and playgrounds in the country next now I know it wasnt a kids playground swing but it can could set a precedent? if she gets her grubby 60k imo its a joke and disgusting behaviour from her looking for an easy payday try honest work or be an honest politician is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

This is a new level of stupidity and unashameful greediness not seen in ages.

I hope to jaysis the judge fires the claim out to fcuk and her with it.

Totally agreed 100% she's a politician they know no better dishonesty and been a leech is a way of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I honestly think FG need her to drop her action. It will be a climb down, but it's necessary to show moral leadership here. How quickly can Leo act?

Was hoping this was a sex swing scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

boombang wrote:
    I honestly think FG need her to drop her action. It will be a climb down, but it's necessary to show moral leadership here. How quickly can Leo act?

You're expecting a TD to turn down easy money, especially a FG TD. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I dunno about anyone else but if I was acting the gob****e on a hotel swing (never mind the fact she is a 43yr old mother of two and a TD) and I caused myself to fall an hurt myself like that I would never have the neck to complain about it let alone sit in a solicitors office with a straight face and file a claim.

Then again you need brass neck to be a TD so it is not surprising really I guess.

Interesting that she is not using the PIAB- that's a ringing endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Contributory negligence will come into it no doubt.
    Doubt it. They will show how many people have sat on it pissed with issues.

I would show a picture of a five yr old on a swing with no issues.

• Advertisement

Remember Brian Crowley MEP paralysed himself when he feel through the roof of a building while trespassing as a 16yr old. He got a big pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

boombang wrote: »

Using a safety harness and ropes.

Doubt it. They will show how many people have sat on it pissed with issues.

I would show a picture of a five yr old on a swing with no issues.

The fact that she was not holding on at all will surely have to be an issue.

If there is a log/accident book with similar incidents then yes they will show a pattern of similar incidents and the hotel did nothing about it. If there are no other incidents then it will make it a little more difficult.

As I said earlier getting injured etc it does not follow that negligence was present but we do not have all the info.

Why you would have a swing there in the first place I have no idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Would be great if they had to remove the swing. I'm sick of seeing every girl with their picture on the swing on tinder or facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No fan of FG, but would it not be correct to wait until the case concludes?
    No. This is After Hours. No injury reported to her neck. Too ****ing hard I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I hope the hotel has warnings on their cups that the contents may be hot if this is the level of idiocy that is being defended.

I have seen this actually in the workplace funnily enough...I have seen in numerous places warnings that the hot water boiler is a hot hazard and a toaster will make the contents hot...

Another place for the water boiler they added a hot hazard sign and reduced the temperature....so the tea was disgusting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

PaulieC wrote: »
    only reasonable course of action is to let your local FG election and European election candidates that you will not vote FG because of this, no matter who the candidate is.

and because of the housing crisis, their support for co-living, the failure to tackle the health system, their voting record on climate change....... the list is endless really. I never thought any party could be worse than FF. They have outdone thmselves.

I have seen this actually in the workplace funnily enough...I have seen in numerous places warnings that the hot water boiler is a hot hazard and a toaster will make the contents hot...

Another place for the water boiler they added a hot hazard sign and reduced the temperature....so the tea was disgusting...

I love the warning on peanut butter jars- 'Contains Nuts'

The fact that she was not holding on at all will surely have to be an issue.

If there is a log/accident book with similar incidents then yes they will show a pattern of similar incidents and the hotel did nothing about it. If there are no other incidents then it will make it a little more difficult.

As I said earlier getting injured etc it does not follow that negligence was present but we do not have all the info.

Why you would have a swing there in the first place I have no idea.

She hasn't a chance of winning. Obviously a ridic amount too. If she had gone simply for any medical bills etc but this is genuine grifting.

Its not stupidity on her part.

Plus she is still running 20k no. So she is not in that much pain.

And she used to run 70 k a week. One MIGHT wonder at that mileage if its possible her injury might have nothing to do with the fall.

Runners who run at that level get injured all the time.

Were her friends touching her etc? (contributory neg)

She is going to have to prove something concrete not just say it hurts ..something you can show on an X- ray or something.

Going to a judge when you sat on a swing at 43 with so many people around you both hands full and now you run 20k a week is going to seem like a bit much.

She hasn't a chance of winning. Obviously a ridic amount too. If she had gone simply for any medical bills etc but this is genuine grifting.

Its not stupidity on her part.

Plus she is still running 20k no. So she is not in that much pain.

And she used to run 70 k a week. One MIGHT wonder at that mileage if its possible her injury might have nothing to do with the fall.

Runners who run at that level get injured all the time.

Were her friends touching her etc? (contributory neg)

She is going to have to prove something concrete not just say it hurts ..something you can show on an X- ray or something.

Going to a judge when you sat on a swing at 43 with so many people around you both hands full and now you run 20k a week is going to seem like a bit much.

It is very much a case of stick in a claim and sure the insurance company won't want the hassle and they will pay out.

Through my line of work I personally know people in business and their insurer will automatically pay out on a claim under £10k as it is just not worth the hassle.

If I was so minded I could take myself along to that premises 'slip' and file a claim for £5k- they will pay it. But I am not like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I love the warning on peanut butter jars- 'Contains Nuts'
    Like Dunnes underwear " may contain nuts"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

A total chancer and she's using Madigans solicitors a firm very closely connected to another FG TD pure corruption in public office. No wonder small business are folding and car insurance is so expensive when you've got scum like her and Alan Farrell as TDs gaming the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It is very much a case of stick in a claim and sure the insurance company won't want the hassle and they will pay out.

Through my line of work I personally know people in business and their insurer will automatically pay out on a claim under £10k as it is just not worth the hassle.

If I was so minded I could take myself along to that premises 'slip' and file a claim for £5k- they will pay it. But I am not like that.

Legal fees alone could be 2.5 k for a normal case not including the settlement and quite OFTEN A LOT more. .

And for the claimant some lawyers with offer no win no fee in Ireland now. Free consultation free they will even visit you at home.

No one is going to offer a defendant no win no fee for obvious reasons.

All the claiment has to worry about is the loss of insurance.

Obviously for genuine hard up cases its a good thing. But it can become a bottom feeding environment.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    hmm yeah thats a scumbag alright

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Scoundrel wrote: »
    A total chancer and she's using Madigans solicitors a firm very closely connected to another FG TD pure corruption in public office. No wonder small business are folding and car insurance is so expensive when you've got scum like her and Alan Farrell as TDs gaming the system.
    Josephina Madigan only left her brothers firm when she became TD. This little stunt might have unearthed a whole PR disaster for Fine Gael close to the elections, luckily for them it's not a General Election.

hmm yeah thats a scumbag alright

What I don't understand about the Alan Farrell moronic claim, is they had been given a pay rise a few months earlier, he made a statement about the compo culture 2 weeks prior to his claim, and it was for €15,000!!!!!!

That's probably 2 months wages sitting at home as a TD, ensuring he may never get voted in again.

By the way, Alan Farrell also hired his heavily pregnant wife as his Parliamentary assistant. So she got maternity leave after only working for roughly 2-3 months. That was also one of the first (if not the first) thing he did as a TD.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fg-td-hires-wife-as-aide-after-council-bid-fails-26716863.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-td-hires-wife-despite-promise-to-end-cronyism-26718431.html
    He won't care if he never gets elected again though, as he will have a handsome pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just so you know, Alan Farrell was also the TD who thought that the PIRA carried out the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings.

He also was only found out on that ignorance, as he brought something up about Sinn Féin because an Indo hack actually just rang him and ordered him to. (This was after Mattie McGrath refused to).

Btw, I don't understand why companies don't just refuse to pay these ridiculous claims.

If a business wins against a false claim and the scammer doesn't pay costs, nothing happens.

If we want our insurance to be normalised, businesses have to stand up and also boycott these solicitors that bring dodgy claims.

If this pub actually fought this, they could chart their progress on facebook, etc.
    Could be a disaster for Fine Gael if handled right.

Refuse to pay is the answer, or just turn up at Farrell and Madigan's constituency office and fall over.

Suckit wrote: »
    Josephina Madigan only left her brothers firm when she became TD. This little stunt might have unearthed a whole PR disaster for Fine Gael close to the elections, luckily for them it's not a General Election.

What I don't understand about the Alan Farrell moronic claim, is they had been given a pay rise a few months earlier, he made a statement about the compo culture 2 weeks prior to his claim, and it was for €15,000!!!!!!

That's probably 2 months wages sitting at home as a TD, ensuring he may never get voted in again.

By the way, Alan Farrell also hired his heavily pregnant wife as his Parliamentary assistant. So she got maternity leave after only working for roughly 2-3 months. That was also one of the first (if not the first) thing he did as a TD.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fg-td-hires-wife-as-aide-after-council-bid-fails-26716863.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-td-hires-wife-despite-promise-to-end-cronyism-26718431.html
    He won't care if he never gets elected again though, as he will have a handsome pension.
    Their retirement packages are like huge.

That is just for one term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Edgware wrote: »
    Like Dunnes underwear " may contain nuts"

Dunnes underwear often contains bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Btw, I don't understand why companies don't just refuse to pay these ridiculous claims.

If a business wins against a false claim and the scammer doesn't pay costs, nothing happens.

If we want our insurance to be normalised, businesses have to stand up and also boycott these solicitors that bring dodgy claims.

Writing from memory, the insurance company involved did fight Sponger Farrell's claim - that's how the media found out about it!

But the "Honourable" Judge :rolleyes: decided that Farrell may well have had a sore (as well as a thick) neck for a few days so threw some money at him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement