Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should speeders lose their driving licence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mgn wrote: »
    What do you mean we use km/h here.When i started driving it was mph here so if it was good enough then it is good enough for me now.
    Do you still tender pounds, shillings and pence when you go to the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

There's no need to attack or insult the man.

You can disagree without beig caustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I used them last week when i was in the UK.

Have you ever being to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The poll is missing the most important option - enforcement of existing legislation. People exceed the speed limit because they have a 99% chance of getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Hidden average speed cameras everywhere.
    They can even be built into traffic lights, couple this with red light cameras.

Visable cameras in known/advertised locations would slow traffic.

The present method of hidden speed vans are only for revenue gathering.
    On a number of occasions I even observed these vans parked on hard margins in the dark totally unlit.
    This does not contribute to road safety.
    In fact if a motorist parked a private car in some of these locations in darkness they could be liable to get a ticket.

• Advertisement

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    Visable cameras in known/advertised locations would slow traffic.

The present method of hidden speed vans are only for revenue gathering.
    On a number of occasions I even observed these vans parked on hard margins in the dark totally unlit.
    This does not contribute to road safety.
    In fact if a motorist parked a private car in some of these locations in darkness they could be liable to get a ticket.

Don't break the speed limits and you won't have to worry .. EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well a month of welfare would be fair. 180 x 4. Why are you driving a car if you have no job?

What a stupid comment. As if only the employed have a right to drive...

Can an unemployed person wipe their arse with triple ply or do they need to used recycled toilet paper?

Fines as % is the fairest, if fair is what you want, but it's probably not.

So if go to the UK what do you use.
    If you go into a pub i bet you don't ask for a liter of beer.

This isn't the UK.

Pints of beer and lbs of butter are the only exception to metrication in Ireland. Besides, speed, weight and volume are different quantities. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

amcalester wrote: »
    What country road barely wide enough for 2 cars has a speed limit of 100 kmh?

You sure it’s not 80 kmh?
    Most of the Ring of Kerry is 100kph......

NSAman wrote: »
    Most of the Ring of Kerry is 100kph......

What is kph?

I never heard of such a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

There are plenty of speed vans and garda speed checks around the country. As soon as they are set up there are multiple Facebook pages telling everyone exactly where they are. Same with checkpoints. Guards set up checkpoints which is a good opportunity for them to stop and check drivers out, see what criminals are using the roads but then even more Facebook posts pop up notifying people about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I don't speed myself but I think if say some smarmy guy's driving a big powerful vaheicle and he's honing down the road at epic speeds he should be off the road forever and e ever...

That'll stop him, there with his wolex and paul Smith sleeves, who does he think he is?

James Dean.

And another thing, he should loose his house, wife and his standing in the hollow he spun out of....

Maybe im being harsh, put him in a 1992 micra and a Guiney shirt with micky mouse sunglasses....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

This isn't the UK.

Pints of beer and lbs of butter are the only exception to metrication in Ireland. Besides, speed, weight and volume are different quantities. :confused:

Well i'll start using the metric system when everything is metric not because someone decided to use it for somethings and not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

What is kph?

I never heard of such a unit.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/speed/kilometers-per-hour-to-miles-per-hour.htm

Google is your friend

NSAman wrote: »

The unit of speed is km/h, not kph.

Personally I'd like to see a zero tolerance approach.

A leeway of 5 km/h should apply (if we're going to be generous) but I'd prefer no leewy at all.
    As soon as you breach the limit, you will receive a fine equal to a month's net wages.

If you are on welfare, then there will be a flat fine of €50 to be fair.

That last line was like lifting your skirt so everyone could see ‘troll’ tattooed around your arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry OP, I have to complete disagree with your post and attitude - but it's common in those "better, safer" drivers in my experience.

There's a lot more to safe driving than slavishly following an arbitrary speed limit (which generally is either too low or too high when outside the built up areas). There's things like changing lanes at the last moment without warning, tailgating, lane-weaving, dangerous overtaking, driving in poor conditions with no lights on, texting while driving etc etc

All far more dangerous than someone doing a bit over on a road that's probably well capable of it if it happens to you so often

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What about the person doing 40 mph where the speed limit is 60 mph with 20 or 30 cars and trucks stuck behind them.

You know it's possible for many types of bad driving to exist? The existence of one type doesn't negate the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Personally I'd like to see a zero tolerance approach.

A leeway of 5 km/h should apply (if we're going to be generous) but I'd prefer no leewy at all.
    As soon as you breach the limit, you will receive a fine equal to a month's net wages.

If you are on welfare, then there will be a flat fine of €50 to be fair.

Why not a months dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think somebody is just a cranky old busybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP has bit of a boner for starting threads with polls especially over in the AH forum Likes spinning up a bit of controversy/drama/attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

law is the law, but law gets broken daily and prob by everyone, Ireland has its accidents but money would be better spent sitting outside pubs for guards and catching those actually who do drink driving then doing random road tax checks.

plenty of stupid arse way roads where 80 is lethal as two large cars cant pass safely, yet motorway doing 120 if its quiet might as well be standing still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Most people don't speed. On most N roads the average driver is doing about 90 km/h. (The guy behind them who will sit there all day but not leave room for others to go round him is a problem...but that's another matter)..

I think people have generally slowed down a lot with the go-safe vans around, too much so in many cases when people seem to be able to do 95 but not 100.

I stick the cc on at 104 and rarely does anyone pass me, so I don't think there's a huge problem that justifies over-reactions like some of the options above.

I discussed this before but the discussion fell by the wayside.

On my commute to work I always drive at the speed limit on the button (as confirmed by my car's speedo and a built in GPS speedometer).
    I am ALWAYS overtaken, despite driving at the speed limit.

If a person is driving at the speed limit then there is not need to overtake, bar an emergency.

Slow down, take it easy and arrive alive.
    You are creating a danger and you are a menace.

Get off the road and stop driving. You are a dangerous person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sorry for the delay sir. Your medal is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I discussed this before but the discussion fell by the wayside.

On my commute to work I always drive at the speed limit on the button (as confirmed by my car's speedo and a built in GPS speedometer).
    I am ALWAYS overtaken, despite driving at the speed limit.

If a person is driving at the speed limit then there is not need to overtake, bar an emergency.

Slow down, take it easy and arrive alive.
    You are creating a danger and you are a menace.

Get off the road and stop driving. You are a dangerous person.

Too many drive way too fast, certainly.

We'd be among the better and slower drivers on average though in EUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

It's not just Ireland. I find exactly the same in England and France and even the Netherlands.

I drove through West Cork recently though and was surprised at how tame the driving is down there. On 100km/h limits the traffic was moving along at about 90 and they seemed to stay below 80 on 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I drive at the speed limit. I never consciously go over it.

But i dont give a monkeys about those that do speed. I would not consider them to be a menace as you say. (Not talking about dangerous drivers, just those that drive over the speed limit)

I just stay out of their way and leave them to it.

I have recently started hugging the line in the middle of the road to pervent scummy speeders overtaking.

On dual carriageways, I will drive at the speed limit in the right lane and indicate left to force people to slow down. If anyone goes to undertake, I'll swerve left to stop the.

Speed kills.

I am doing my bit to save lives.

Slow down everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have recently started hugging the line in the middle of the road to pervent scummy speeders overtaking.

On dual carriageways, I will drive at the speed limit in the right lane and indicate left to force people to slow down. If anyone goes to undertake, I'll swerve left to stop the.

Speed kills.

I am doing my bit to save lives.

Slow down everyone.

2/10. Try harder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement