Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭standardg60

finla wrote: »
    Looks like an agapanthus. There's a lot of different varieties.

Nope, nerine lilies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They vanish completely till the flower stalks come up, followed by the leaves, so you have to be careful not to dig them up. Lovely flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Nope, nerine lilies

Thanks! Looking there and that's def the one.
    A striking flower for this time of year!
    Think I will be putting a lot more of these in!

looksee wrote: »
    They vanish completely till the flower stalks come up, followed by the leaves, so you have to be careful not to dig them up. Lovely flowers.

Yep,they came up out if nowhere in a house we are renting while extending our own. A very pleasant surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any idea what this is? It smells heavenly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Meadowsweet?

I think it is Russian Vine, which is an invasive mad grower, also called mile-a-minute plant.

I think it is Russian Vine, which is an invasive mad grower, also called mile-a-minute plant.

I think meadowsweet is more likely. It was more shrubby looking than viney

kylith wrote: »
    I think meadowsweet is more likely. It was more shrubby looking than viney

This is definitely NOT Meadowsweet!

Looks like Himalayan Knotweed, or a close relative, monumentally invasive, read up on it if its in your own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like Himalayan Knotweed, or a close relative, monumentally invasive, read up on it if its in your own property.

Was just looking at online images myself and agree it looks like Himalayan knotweed to me. The leaves are a bit longer than the Japanese variety I thought it might be at first.

• Advertisement

Dammit, I was afraid of it being something like that. It’s not on my property, I stumbled across it in town earlier and thought it smelled gorgeous, and that if it was doable I’d take a cutting. Knotweeds are a bit too easy to propogate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another vote for Himalayan Knotweed

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Himalayan-knotweed.pdf - leaf comparisons at bottom of the page.

Edit> If it still has that much leaf its not too late to get the Gylphosate out.

my3cents wrote: »
    Another vote for Himalayan Knotweed

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Himalayan-knotweed.pdf - leaf comparisons at bottom of the page.

Edit> If it still has that much leaf its not too late to get the Gylphosate out.
    Looks like that's what it is so. Thankfully it's nowhere near my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've seen big clumps of Himalayan Knotweed in a few sites including ones that have been bulldozed and relandscaped. Can't remember seen the Himalayan Knotweed surviving the experience and this would have been long before the current outcry about JK. So I suspect Hmalayan Knotweed isn't as much of a problem plant as its Japanese relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

This plant was growing in my garden for a while. I can't remember where it came from but I potted it up over the summer and it looks like it's doing well. Anyone know what it is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Chrysanthemum.

And also this? It's dying back at the moment. Last year i cut it down to the ground and it grew back up again. Can't remember where or when I got it...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry, no idea on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭standardg60

Baptisia, always struggle to remember that one as it's not around long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

LazyClouds wrote: »
    And also this? It's dying back at the moment. Last year i cut it down to the ground and it grew back up again. Can't remember where or when I got it...

Teucrium fruitcans??

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    Teucrium fruitcans??

No i think Baptisia is right i just haven't seen it flower since i bought it because I've been pruning it down to the ground like an eejit... Thanks anyway though :) this thread is such a great help.

I wonder can anyone identify the exact name of this one for me.

How exact are you looking for? Its a cymbidium orchid but not sure of the cultivar, could be Red Velvet but I am guessing.

How exact are you looking for? Its a cymbidium orchid but not sure of the cultivar, could be Red Velvet but I am guessing.

Not sure how exact. The person who bought it is the kind of person who likes to have a hidden message in everything he does. So I wanted to look up the exact flower and see if the gifting of it has a traditional double meaning or hidden narrative that I might not have known about.

You may or may not have broken the law in a similar way to those people who introduced the various rogue plants now out of control and infesting the countryside. However a. its a tree and b. it probably won't survive here so presumably no harm done. Hopefully. My first thought was Indian Bean Tree (catalpa), but the leaves are not right.

Might it be a Carob tree? It looks to have dropped some leaves in your photos and the images I found online for carob tree are a bit variable so not sure to be honest. Are the beans very regular in size? I think the weight of the carob seeds is supposed to be so constant that it was used as a way to weigh out valuable goods and the name is the root of the carrot unit used for the weight of diamonds and gold nuggets. The carob is a fairly widespread tree in the Mediterranean climate that produces bean pods but there are lots of other possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Does anyone know the name of this please https://imgur.com/a/sj30E5b

Advertisement