Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Masters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    He had a crazy amount of side on it which was odd. He could've easily just went down the table once. Bizarre stuff.

I think it was just a hit and hope!

Easiest shot as Taylor alluded to was just play pink onto left cush with cue ball on opposite cush. Simples.

I think your right, it’s just hit and hope. Is he trying to pot it? Seems so as he makes sure to leave a shot on the black. Just insane either way, abnormally stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I love Mark Williams but he can be infuriatingly nonchalant. That was just not the time for a hit and hope. He's out of the tournament now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Easiest shot as Taylor alluded to was just play pink onto left cush with cue ball on opposite cush. Simples.

I think your right, it’s just hit and hope. Is he trying to pot it? Seems so as he makes sure to leave a shot on the black. Just insane either way, abnormally stupid.

Yeah looked at it a few times and all I can think of is that he was trying to run it round the angles few times and hope it dropped in somewhere. Madness.

Thing is he didn’t just get down and lash it, he actually spent at least a minute thinking about the shot and that’s what his thought process came up with. So very very strange.

Hawkins and Murphy on the red button now. Hawkins just won the first frame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

It's on Eurosport 2 as well

Standard want to lift a bit here, pretty dire stuff so far from both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Murphy very poor tonight. Didn't know he'd moved over to Dublin til they mentioned it in commentary. Wonder where he practices. He's doing an exhibition in the Spawell next month....based on tonight's display I'll keep that €20 in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Good to see him get a frame in

Murphy very poor tonight. Didn't know he'd moved over to Dublin til they mentioned it in commentary. Wonder where he practices. He's doing an exhibition in the Spawell next month....based on tonight's display I'll keep that €20 in my pocket

Spends a lot of his time up in celbridge I believe sparring heavy sessions with Fergal O’Brien. Seems a decent setup though results not going his way this season. Fair chance he’ll be in the world qualifying if his results don’t pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Good to see him get a frame in

Good to see a bit of a fight back from him. Hawkins is looking very shaky in the last 2 frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really enjoyed that last frame, absorbing cat and mouse.

Really enjoyed that last frame, absorbing cat and mouse.

Yeah, centuries all well and good but nothing beats a good tactical ding dong for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I really enjoyed the latter half of that match. The nephew was with me and he was absorbed.

Update on the Paddy Power 500/1 five fifties bet. They have pulled it and cancelled existing bets and marked them at about 6/1. Shelly Higgins, Alex's niece is giving out about it on Twitter. She may have a point.

Today's matches...

1pm: Judd Trump vs Kyren Wilson

7pm: Mark Selby vs Stephen Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Really looking forward to Trump vs Wilson.

Lot of hype around the match, hope it lives up to expectations

BBC really playing up the rivalry here. Almost describing it as a grudge match.

BBC really playing up the rivalry here. Almost describing it as a grudge match.

Think it just shows how desperate snooker is for a few “young” players, or at least new names, to start winning big titles and develop genuine rivalries. These guys are closer to 30 than 20 now, time for them to deliver I think.

Think it just shows how desperate snooker is for a few “young” players, or at least new names, to start winning big titles and develop genuine rivalries. These guys are closer to 30 than 20 now, time for them to deliver I think.

Yep. Trump will turn 30 in August and yet Virgo just referred to him as a "young up-and-coming player."

Trump has been "up-and-coming" for years now. He has won some titles but never lived up to all the hype.

• Advertisement

Yep. Trump will turn 30 in August and yet Virgo just referred to him as a "young up-and-coming player."

Trump has been "up-and-coming" for years now. He has won some titles but never lived up to all the hype.

Yeah I like judd but he has underachieved criminally for the talent he has. But he has at least won titles and doesn’t cower when facing ronnie like a few others, I’ll give him that.

The other day they were going on about Lisowski as if he had just stepped out of the cradle, he’ll be 28 in a few months. Bbc just won’t acknowledge that the young generation now just is not up to scratch.

Indeed. Ten of the players in this year's Masters are over 35. Just one is under 25. The discussion is shifting from "Who will be the next Ronnie/Hendry?" to whether we'll see players of their kind again.

I think it’s a bit more alarming than people realise. Look beyond Wilson and Lisowski in the rankings and there isn’t really anything coming from the UK in the 20-30 bracket, despite hearn and the bbc telling us everything is great. There’s really nothing there.

Thing is to savour every bit of Ronnie while he’s still there because there just won’t be another like him again, not in any of our lifetimes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think it’s a bit more alarming than people realise. Look beyond Wilson and Lisowski in the rankings and there isn’t really anything coming from the UK in the 20-30 bracket, despite hearn and the bbc telling us everything is great. There’s really nothing there.

Thing is to savour every bit of Ronnie while he’s still there because there just won’t be another like him again, not in any of our lifetimes anyway.

Isn't this a reflection of where the game was going 10-15 years ago. The game was in decline, but has had a bump this decade and the hope is that kids of 10 or 12 are now more encouraged to pick up the cue and practice 4 hours a night. It is almost like there is a lost generation that grew up in the 2000s/early 2010s but the few quid in the game now will see the next generation emerge. Granted not too many will emerge from here or even from the UK, but if you build it and put it out there, they will come.

Isn't this a reflection of where the game was going 10-15 years ago. The game was in decline, but has had a bump this decade and the hope is that kids of 10 or 12 are now more encouraged to pick up the cue and practice 4 hours a night. It is almost like there is a lost generation that grew up in the 2000s/early 2010s but the few quid in the game now will see the next generation emerge. Granted not too many will emerge from here or even from the UK, but if you build it and put it out there, they will come.

Was the game in decline 15 years ago though? There were obvious structural problems of course but you still had a young generation- Ding, Paul Hunter, Mark Allen, S Lee, Maguire, Murphy etc who all exhibited a lot of potential. Not all realised admittedly but at least it was there.

The numbers taking up the game is the big issue for sure, how you inspire those kids to play a fairly solitary and sedantary time consuming pursuit is the issue. Uk has to look at china and try to copy, even at a more modest level, what they are doing but costs a lot of money they probably don’t have.

I'd hope you're right -- but the financial reality is that only the top 10 players in the world are making six-figure incomes. Players outside the top 50 are making under £30k, outside the top 70 are making less than £20k, and outside the top 100 are making less than £10k -- from which they have to deduct expenses, tournament entry fees, and so on. Unless a player can get well into the top 16 and stay there consistently, there are no riches to be made in snooker. Many "professionals" have to work second jobs to make ends meet.

Hammer blow for wilson here, only himself to blame.

That one will hurt. Trump 3-0 up now.

I'd hope you're right -- but the financial reality is that only the top 10 players in the world are making six-figure incomes. Players outside the top 50 are making under £30k, outside the top 70 are making less than £20k, and outside the top 100 are making less than £10k -- from which they have to deduct expenses, tournament entry fees, and so on. Unless a player can get well into the top 16 and stay there consistently, there are no riches to be made in snooker. Many "professionals" have to work second jobs to make ends meet.

You are right on that. No way most of the players can make a decent living, unless they get somehow lucky with sponsorship. Can’t be much fun as a low ranked pro scrimping and saving on costs while trying to maximise your chances of winning matches. Bit of a vicious cycle I think.

• Advertisement

You are right on that. No way most of the players can make a decent living, unless they get somehow lucky with sponsorship. Can’t be much fun as a low ranked pro scrimping and saving on costs while trying to maximise your chances of winning matches. Bit of a vicious cycle I think.

Exactly. Ronnie's first-round opponent in the UK was saying that he hoped he could get some time off work so that he could practice for the match. These players come in, predictably get obliterated 6-0 or 6-1 by one of the better players, get no prize money, and are out of pocket for costs. That's the reality of being a low-ranked pro.

Hearn's spin on this is that he's giving the unknown players a chance to break through by pitting them against the big names. But you can't break through if you're working to support yourself and thus don't have the time to improve your game.

Advertisement