Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a murderer (Netflix)

• 19-10-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think it would be a good idea to start a discussion on this seeing as season two arrived on Netflix today.

For me this show brought true crime to the masses and increased my interest in the genre. Thought season 1 was very good if a little biased but it did give good insight into the US criminal justice system.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I enjoyed it. As you said, it's a bit biased and apparently there was a good bit left out from season 1 regarding evidence against Avery, but it definitely kicked a whole genre off!

Looking forward to getting stuck into season 2 later!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I’m on episode 8.... weekend binge :)

Anybody else in the thick of it? It’s interesting!

Watched 4 so far, yeah its good. Zellner is pretty sharp!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's at a stage like zellner said, even a confession from someone else and proof they did it.. Brendan and Steven would still not be let out.

Powers that be are just too far down a rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Finished over the weekend, Zellner is inpressive and to me makes a lot of good points and raises some really good questions.

• Advertisement

I thought she was great but I agree, doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel no matter what they produce.

How anybody could find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt is baffling to me.

I think he is not guilty. And definitely not guilty in the manner he was convicted of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm trying to make it through season 2 of this. I think I'm on episode 3 at the moment.
    The first season was very 1 sided I thought, this seems to be continuing in that manner but maybe a bit more open.

Kratz didn't build a solid case in the original trial, it looks like he had some evidence and tried to make it stick.

I think that Zellner is so far looking at trying to discredit Kratz' evidence such as the blood splatter in the door of the jeep......but it's fundamentally saying the way you described the murder is wrong, but she is still saying there was a murder and not clearing Brendan or Avery.

There's an interesting theory unfolding about how the Rav 4 was brought to the place it was found, but again that doesn't say anything about who brought it there, just how it got there.

I'll need to watch the rest, but at the end of the day, both are still locked up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Watched a bit more, still no evidence to prove that Avery didn't do it.

Just some more doubt as to the prosecutions original trial and the story they painted. Also possibly withholding evidence.

Still none of this is proving innocence for me.

It gets a bit more detailed in the later episodes. I found the first episodes a bit slow to progress.

Also, they included the list of people who declined to participate at the end of each episode because they were accused of being biased in the first season.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Watched a bit more, still no evidence to prove that Avery didn't do it.

Just some more doubt as to the prosecutions original trial and the story they painted. Also possibly withholding evidence.

Still none of this is proving innocence for me.

To be found guilty, you need to be proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think anyone could say there isn't reasonable doubt after season 2

To be found guilty, you need to be proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think anyone could say there isn't reasonable doubt after season 2

I need to finish it all :)

That whole bit in the last episode about the coroner being excluded is crazy stuff. It really does look like the police had this all sewn up against Avery and didn't want anyone to interfere. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would love to know what really happened to Theresa Hallbach, looks very like a cover up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

To be found guilty, you need to be proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think anyone could say there isn't reasonable doubt after season 1

FYP ;)

Poor Brendan, got all his hopes up about getting out and then dashed. I remember the noise about that in the media a while back, but only now do I actually think of the impact on Brendan and his family in all that.

Where I am, I think finished Ep5, they have gone back to look at the ex-boyfriend. After S1, his behaviour didn't add up to me. But I still don't think that he would drive her car back to the Avery place and hide the car there after murdering her....but it still doesn't add up. How would he know she was there?

I do have a theory though, I think that there were a few people involved in the murder of Theresa. Here's my wild idea.

The ex boyfriend was stalking her, he followed her to the Avery place. When she was leaving the property, she spotted him and there was some sort of confrontation. Avery heard it and got involved, Brendan and his step dad got involved, Theresa ended up being killed by accident and they all tried to cover it up.

It's my wild theory, given that the evidence doesn't point to any one person, or was made to look to point to 1 person, that makes me think there were more than 1 person involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I watched season 1 when there was loads of hype about it.

Quite probably the worst show I've ever endured. Watched the whole season waiting for some kind of twist to the tale or something.

I didn't find the show any way gripping. I only watched it through because everyone was talking about how good it was so I figured that at some stage or was going to grab me...... But it didn't.

The fella is as guilty as they come. But that's not why I didn't like it. Apart from the show clearly being driven at proving his innocence (not a hope haha) it was really just a terrible boring production.

Plenty of true crime stuff much much better. Do yourselves a favour and skip this muck, I certainly won't be watching season 2. Watch that one Trevor McDonald had on the other evening (am I a murderer) or the one Fiona Bruce did last week (parachute killer) they were both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think Kathleen has done an amazing job. She’s exactly who you’d want on your side if you found yourself in their position. She doesn’t have to prove that Steven didn’t do it, just that someone else could have, and that she did.
    Having said that, and despite all of her efforts, I’m still not convinced of his innocence. A lot of her theories seem a tad far fetched. My personal belief is that Avery did it, or was certainly involved in some way, and I’ve not yet heard or seen anything to convince me otherwise. However, I do not believe he did it in the manner he was accused of doing it. There is no evident suggesion of rape or murder in either the garage or the bedroom and so I would probably acquit him if I was on the jury.

I’m only really interested in the fight for Brendan. It’s actually scary how far down the legal rabbit hole his case has gone. What seems so straightforward to most of us has been bandied about and appealed and overturned so much that at this stage I’m not sure he has any hope of ever getting early release.

I still have two episodes to go so not finished it all yet. It’s a great addition to season one, kind of ties most things up and explains the court process really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Aside from everything else the two phone calls Avery made on the day of the murder to his ex girlfriend do not sound like the a man in the middle of murdering somebody and burning a body.

Seve OB wrote: »

Quite probably the worst show I've ever endured. Watched the whole season waiting for some kind of twist to the tale or something.

I didn't find the show any way gripping. I only watched it through because everyone was talking about how good it was so I figured that at some stage or was going to grab me...... But it didn't.

The fella is as guilty as they come. But that's not why I didn't like it. Apart from the show clearly being driven at proving his innocence (not a hope haha) it was really just a terrible boring production.

Plenty of true crime stuff much much better. Do yourselves a favour and skip this muck, I certainly won't be watching season 2. Watch that one Trevor McDonald had on the other evening (am I a murderer) or the one Fiona Bruce did last week (parachute killer) they were both excellent.

What an odd post. You managed to sit through 10 hours of something you obviously hated? Not sure why anyone would bother doing that.

• Advertisement

minzabud wrote: »
    Aside from everything else the two phone calls Avery made on the day of the murder to his ex girlfriend do not sound like the a man in the middle of murdering somebody and burning a body.

After watching season 2, I'm more convinced than ever that Avery didn't commit the crime. There's no way either him or Dassey are intelligent enough to clean up a crime scene to that extent. All the State's evidence is dodgy in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Why, oh why would a person watch season 2 of a show where you felt season 1 was the worst show you've ever seen? That is some amount of hours to dedicate to something you hated.

Anyways, I really enjoyed season 2. Going against the trend now but I just have my reservations about some things. How convenient that whoever set Avery up happened to find blood on his sink. What are the chances of that?

Brendan can't get out now unless pardoned.. not till he's 58 , ... His only hope is Stephens case is found to be false conviction and someone else gets done, proving Brendan's story was fed to him.. other than that he's not leaving prison,which to me, someone who never met the guy,is gut wrenchingly sick, that could be any 16 yr old low iq kid with social issues put away for 40 yrs after being convinced to agree with what those fckers were feeding him.. agreeing to anything just to go home ...

"They got in my head" .. he was so vurnerable. Even 3 supreme Court judges cannot believe what was allowed to happen,highest judges in the land.

I did find the blood in the sink story a bit convenient but maybe it was a pot luck find if they did enter to find something to use.

The wound didn’t look that fresh though in the photo

minzabud wrote: »

Thats one of the biggest things for me. To be able to rape, murder and mutilate a person and then have a casual conversation with your girlfriend...

It would take a serious psychopath lacking all empathy or emotion to be able to do that. And thats not Steven, he seems like an emotional guy.

I do think Kathleen is wrong about the blood in the sink though. That seems a bit too convenient. Then again, the state owing a guy 36M dollars and the police having their reputations questioned and suddenly a girl that was on his property gets murdered with evidence clearly planted... convenient for the state and the police how that worked out.

The evidence is planted for sure. By who and how though is harder to say.
    Colborn is 100% involved in the car ending up on the property. He is standing in front of it the night before its found. Then Ryan gives Pam the camera and sends her to almost the exact location of the car.

Lenk plants the key in the trailer.

Not sure who moves the bones or plants the blood but probably Lenk / Colborn are involved.

The police are still concerned though. How can a jury be convinced if there is no blood or DNA in either the trailer or garage. Thats when they decide to breakdown Brendan. What better evidence than having a person confess on camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It’s a completely biased production made to cater for the Facebook generation, lazy arses who just watch the show and scream they are innocent.

Thats one of the biggest things for me. To be able to rape, murder and mutilate a person and then have a casual conversation with your girlfriend...

It would take a serious psychopath lacking all empathy or emotion to be able to do that. And thats not Steven, he seems like an emotional guy.

I do think Kathleen is wrong about the blood in the sink though. That seems a bit too convenient. Then again, the state owing a guy 36M dollars and the police having their reputations questioned and suddenly a girl that was on his property gets murdered with evidence clearly planted... convenient for the state and the police how that worked out.

The evidence is planted for sure. By who and how though is harder to say.
    Colborn is 100% involved in the car ending up on the property. He is standing in front of it the night before its found. Then Ryan gives Pam the camera and sends her to almost the exact location of the car.

Lenk plants the key in the trailer.

Not sure who moves the bones or plants the blood but probably Lenk / Colborn are involved.

The police are still concerned though. How can a jury be convinced if there is no blood or DNA in either the trailer or garage. Thats when they decide to breakdown Brendan. What better evidence than having a person confess on camera?

And the ex boyfriend having her notepad in his possession,which had been updated that day as confirmed by what was in it,a time after her supposed last sighting at Stephens house, could only have been gotten from her vehicle. Boggles the mind .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

A few things stand out to me, but one the most serious ones is the affidavit of the witness who saw Theresa's Rav 4 parked on the side of the road, who tells Officer Colburn about it on the same day Colburn calls dispatch to run the plates. You could say the witness may not be independent, given that he is friends with the family, but there are texts to Scott Tadych which corroborate it.

That one fact alone should be enough for a re-trial. Not to mention:
    1. The bullet not supporting the hypothesis that Theresa was shot in the head
    2. The question marks over the chain of custody of the hood latch swab
    3. The additional human bone fragments with cut marks found in the quarry which seem to have been completely ignored, in addition to Katz misrepresenting the pelvic bone fragments, saying they are not reliable
    4. The perjury committed by Bobby Dassey, supported by testimony of his brother
    5. Finally, and insanely, the contents of Bobby Dassey's hard drive..... INSANE.

I think Zellner has been brilliant, but she needs to clean up her version of events. She points the finger at Bobby/Scott for the murder, and the ex boyfriend/police for the cover up. That doesn't seem plausible to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

In regards to Brendan Dassey's appeals, we obviously only heard snippets of the arguments with the judges. But I feel more emphasis should have been placed on the lack of forensic evidence supporting Dassey's confession. Namely the fact that no blood or DNA evidence at all supports that she was in the bedroom.

It's a crying shame that those judges can't show some basic common sense, and see what everyone else sees when they see that confession tape. Fact of the matter is, now Brendan's only hope of getting out of prison is Zellner getting Avery's conviction overturned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It’s a completely biased production made to cater for the Facebook generation, lazy arses who just watch the show and scream they are innocent.

What info was in the trial that we know was left out of the documentary?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement