Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bsal wrote: »
    Dublin airport TAF has zero mention of any sort of rain today yet it's been raining at the airport continuously for the last 2hrs, how can it be that wrong?

TAF EIDW 191100Z 1912/2012 18015KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 PROB30 TEMPO 1914/2009 BKN013 TEMPO 1915/1918 19017G27KT BECMG 1918/1920 21017KT TEMPO 1918/2011 21020G30KT=

Light rain isnt necessarily significant unless it drops the cloud base or vis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Drizzle Dublin. Manky evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is the worst day of this month for sure, absolutely rotten day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I was working right beside Dublin Airport and the rain wasn't heavy there, it was light but the raindrops were big. It wasn't very persistent either.

These are my spring predictions/guesses

March: Wet (not very wet though) and average temperatures
    April: A little colder than average and wetter than average but again, not overly wet
    May: Slightly drier than average and sunny. Mostly dry weather but with a brief but very wet spell sometime in the month. Warmer than average with some very decent temperatures at times.

June isn't spring but I feel like it's going to be a very wet month and cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Perfect theme for not only today's delightful offering, but the entirety of this miserable Winter season.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Absolutely miserable day and evening here in East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely miserable day and evening here in East Meath.

Yep a grand morning turned into a horrible afternoon and evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hammering down rain outside, will certainly add to the February rainfall totals. I really didn't think we were going to get much rainfall here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ryanmac1990

Miserable day in Cork City. Has been an expectionally mild winter so far

• Advertisement

Still lashing down in cork city, even though radar shows it as dry currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pat Clarke at 07:55 this morning said about the weekend "mild alright for the time of year, but nowhere near record-breaking".

I'm disappointed now because I wanted to wear my mankini, but at this stage I'll be wearing just normal February attire...

official-licensed-borat-green-mankini-one-size-mens-fancy-dress-product-image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Pat Clarke at 07:55 this morning said about the weekend "mild alright for the time of year, but nowhere near record-breaking".

I'm disappointed now because I wanted to wear my mankini, but at this stage I'll be wearing just normal February attire...

official-licensed-borat-green-mankini-one-size-mens-fancy-dress-product-image.jpg

It's always nice to see a 'different side' to some of our regular weather experts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

From my memory February has tended to be one of, if not the least windy month of the year. (Stats-men please correct me if I'm wrong!)
    So for me its the current and forecast prolonged blustery conditions which is more unusual than the temperature anomalies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very little rain here today, only 2.3mm as per the AWS. Was up around SW Dublin and NE Kildare earlier where it was a very different story with persistent rain.

Raining since about 1pm non stop here now in cork city. Haven't seen rain this persistent in quite some time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mildest part of the day now at 11.9C here near Tralee, very mild looking tomorrow.

JSOCznE.png

Quite windy overnight especially along Atlantic Coasts

anim_ekn6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rare to see such a short MÉ forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

According to Kilkenny Weather, this is set to be the mildest Winter on record back to 1892 at Valentia Observatory.

I reckon this is close to the mildest winter in most of our lifetimes. It's the first winter myself, my friends and family haven't seen a single snow flake all winter. I think i've only seen frost 2 times during daylight hours since November. Even the mild winters of the early to mid 2000's don't hold a candle to this winter in terms of relentless mild and lack of freezing conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon this is close to the mildest winter in most of our lifetimes. It's the first winter myself, my friends and family haven't seen a single snow flake all winter. I think i've only seen frost 2 times during daylight hours since November. Even the mild winters of the early to mid 2000's don't hold a candle to this winter in terms of relentless mild and lack of freezing conditions.

Yes its been very mild.
    I have a few indoor plants that I left out last summer.
    I never took them in this year at all, i just moved them closer to the house in the October cold snap but its been mild since and they seem to be doing well now!

I even saw a few potatoes growing in my compost heap there a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The number of air frosts up to February 19th for 2018-19 have been below average for Dunsany, Co. Meath but not exceptionally so (very similar to 2011-12). 2013-14 holds the record for lowest amount at only 6 air frosts whilst 2009-10 had as much as 54 air frosts.

Some Winters have minimum temperature data unavailable for so I did not include them. This data does not include Autumn or Spring frosts in their totals of the respective seasons, only December to February.

Crz1p3l.jpg

Our Daffodils are in full bloom, have been for past few weeks, we normally don't see them till March. Grass is also growing quickly again, normally we don't see much grass growth till April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had grass growth in December here. Had a week of coldish weather at back end of January the other 70 odd days have all been mild this Winter

Currently 14.3c and fair

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Feels milder out today to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

so gone is the talk of the unseasonable warmth and record breaking possibilties,saturday could have been class.

12 -14 degrees,alot of cloud,damp misty mank around this weekend.

windy too along the coasts,

at least ill know what to wear. A house.

vile.

ukprec.pngukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

gas.

6hrprecip.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Today turned nice in Dublin

Tomorrow should be too

And lots of Friday and a good start on Saturday

Good spell of weather for east when all said and done

most of Saturday daylight should stay dry in Dublin, with rain in the evening. Once that rain clears, it looks very dry after that. The high temperature extremes are now off the table, not only here but in the UK as well, looks like 16 or 17C will be the max in Ireland/UK over the weekend with most places hitting 14 or 15C.

• Advertisement

Heavy drizzle again in cork city. Another miserable day it seems

Advertisement